close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

So what are they doing to fix the GEN3 problems?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by DEADEYEGUY, Nov 3, 2011.

1. DEADEYEGUY

DEADEYEGUY

So I know they are replacing the RSA's and ejectors on the GEN4's with problems. But what about folks like me with the late model GEN3 G19's? They are saying the new ejector is not for the GEN3's. So what's the fix then??? Anyone got their GEN3 back fixed? If so what did they do to fix it? For my gun anyways it's not the extractor I tried 3 different ones and 3 different recoil set up's of different weights. That leaves ejector, extractor plunger assembly (spring maybe), or slide cut/machining problems.

2. BamaTrooper

BamaTrooper Retired

Have you had problems with yours? What was it doing when you had the stock guts in it?

Last edited: Nov 3, 2011

3. tango44

tango44

Gen 3 with problems??? what problems???

4. Don At PC

Don At PC Senior Member Millennium Member

What Gen 3 problems. I have 3 Gen 3 G19s and have never had a problem except not enough ammo to shoot as much as I want. Two of the are about 2 years old the 3rd one is maybe 3 months old and all work great. I also have a Gen 4 G19 and have put about 2000 rounds through it without a single malfunction. By the way all are bone stock with the exception of replacing the stock sights with Heinie 320 Combo sights.

Don

5. TxGlock9

TxGlock9

I admit my Gen3 G19 RTF2 throws brass to my head few times.

6. Quick2draw

Quick2draw

If you read the forums, many, many late model Gen3 are having issues. Not like you do not already know. :/

Also just because your G19 fired 300,000 rounds with no issues, does not mean that others are not having an issue. lol...

7. G29SF

G29SF

My 10MMs have too, however I think it is due to the indoor range's walls. When I shoot outside I have no such issues.

8. hoghunter82

hoghunter82 FL Glocker #182

My new (July '11) G34 Gen3 is sitting at Glock now so we shall see what they do. Speer Lawman 115gr range ammo is what is have used on all my guns (Glocks included) and I have never had any brass to face issues before shooting this new G34 Gen3. As I said in my post, I had one round actually eject LEFT over the gun. I grabbed my phone while I was on the range staring at that casing and called Glock right then. "Within Spec" better not be their answer. How in the h*ll does a casing eject over the gun and to the left? I'm 6'5 240lbs and have never been accused of limp-wristing anything. I would not have believed a left crossover ejection had I not seen it myself. About 100 of the 200 rounds I shot that day went straight back towards my head.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

9. voyager4520

voyager4520 -----

I tried a new EDP spring, a new factory EDP assembly, and an aftermarket EDP assembly. None fixed the problem in my Gen3 G27. I tried a new factory extractor and an aftermarket extractor, neither fixed the problem. I tried a new trigger housing w/ejector, that didn't fix it either. Tried many brands of ammo, no luck.

This is what I believe to be the cause. Comparing my G23 which ejects fine and my G27 which has erratic ejection, I compared how the extractor holds the rim of the casing to the breech face using the extractor from my G23 and a spent casing which has the fired primer punched out. Comparing the two, the G27 has about 1mm extra space between the breech face and extractor claw for the spent casing rim to slide forward and rearward between. I used the extractor from my G27 in both slides as well with the same result, the difference is in the G27 slide, not the extractors.

10. DEADEYEGUY

DEADEYEGUY

Voyager,
    so basically from what you are saying on the GEN 3's anyways is that they will have to replace the slide to get the problem resolved? I know they sent one of the guys on the forum a new GEN4 to replace his GEN3 that was having problems. I guess that may be validation of your idea. It's probably cheaper in the long run than trying to mess with the slide. Afraid of the "it's in spec" b.s.. Thanks for responding. Really don't care for the GEN4's cheap finish. Guess if that's the answer I can ship to to CCR. Or are the replacement ejectors and RSA just band aids covering up the real problem?

11. JBP55

JBP55

DEADEYEGUY, What is your G3 issue?

12. Radian

Radian

and tell them where they can buy reduced power recoil springs to shoot puffy ammo? I have avoided the g19g4 drama because I don't own one. I was tempted to buy one and run 1000 rounds through it on video just to be an ass but that seemed childish.

Maybe buy a hat with a brim?

However I own MANY G3 guns and have fired many thousands of dollars of UMC 9mm through them.

So of the 3 G34s I own NOT ONE has thrown brass anywhere I noticed it. they may not eject brass in the shape of the virgin mary and do not polish and resize it on the way out.

What they do is go bang every time. From puffy 125,000 pf loads to corbon and gold dots they always run.

I have spent many many sundays holding a timer and can say that i see very few problems with any striker fired gun, including glocks, including the G4 guns.

That said I don't expect brass to land in the shape of a cute little kitty cat either.

These are firearms from 6 years to 6 months old and actual guns that get the hell shot out of them at IDPA matches on the right reg.

13. hoghunter82

hoghunter82 FL Glocker #182

Radian,
    I had no issues with my G34 Gen3 not going bang. The doggone thing was deadly accurate for the few times I was able to shoot it. Whether or not Glock solves the ejection problems I am going to keep and enjoy the G34, but something just ain't right. To have left ejections makes no sense at all. I have never even heard of such a thing. I wish I would have recorded the event. Believe me, I would much prefer strange ejections than stovepipes, FTF, FTE, etc. But something is not right and it needs to be corrected.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

14. JonInWA

JonInWA

The issue with 2010 and subsequent Gen 3 9mm Glocks (and primarily the G19 and G17) has been an erratic ejection pattern; specifically, ejected casing striking shooters in the head/face. This is probably due to a change in extractor profile and material; these extractors have a visible dip at the top of the extractor, and are a shiny black color (as opposed to the previous matte gray), and are reportedly of MIM manufacture. They tend to be fitted very tightly into the slide (which in and of itself may well be the cause of the problems). I believe that Glock has a replacement extractor, but I believe that the priority for newly manufactured Glocks is to the Gen4 guns.

On my new G19, I simply replaced the new extractor with a new, but older manufactured matte gray LCI extractor, presumably made of tool steel. With this extractor, I've experienced zero expended cartridge head strikes.

Best, Jon

15. barth

barth six barrels

Are you kidding?
    I've got a 3/11/2011 Talo Special Edition EXO Fail Zero Gen 3 G27.
    It's stock and it's FLAWLESS!
    I'm not changing a thing.
    135/155/165/180 gr bullets.
    Winchester/Speer LE HPs all perfect right out of the box .

And who are these mysterious, misinformed, they people anyway - LOL!

Last edited: Nov 4, 2011
  16. Bluestreakfl

Bluestreakfl

My Gen 3 G27 occasionally does the same. The casings usually go rearward and slightly to the right but I occasionally get a little bonk on the head. But 1100 rounds so far and never a single reliability issue. It eats whatever it's fed. Only mod I've done is a polished barrel, including the feed ramp.

Edit: mine was manufactured 02-03-2009.

OutdoorHub Mobile, the information engine of the outdoors.

17. voyager4520

voyager4520 -----

No, the new ejector changes ejection enough that the slide doesn't need to be replaced. What's needed is the new ejector, but apparently Glock doesn't want to spend an extra $2 per Gen3 to make it work right. They're willing to do it for Gen4 because Gen4 already has a bad reputation.

18. DEADEYEGUY

DEADEYEGUY

JONinWa,
    I tried the Lone Wolf extractor, and a second OEM extractor, and tried polishing the old extractor. You are correct my old original extractor before polishing it was very tight. But polishing loosened it up but did not fix it. As I said I tried three different recoil set up's of three different weights, every type of ammo you can think of, and let others shoot it to eliminate shooter error. Although I've been shooting for 42 years and this is the first time I've had this problem with a Glock after owning 6-7. By the way to the fanboy that had to like all posts relating to the late model GEN3 and the Gen4's problems say it was limpwristing. Sure that's why Glock is on it's 4th or 5th redesign of the RSA, has a new ejector design, and is paying shipping to get the guns back and fixed.
    Why don't you just call Glock up and tell them to just offer classes in how to properly hold a handgun and stop wasting all that money on trying new parts? Explain to them that even though seven other Glocks I've owned never had this problem nor two other safes I've got full of pistols have never had this problem. Evidently a bunch of us have developed limpwristitis complicated by low power ammo. It only manifests and is spread by late model GEN 3's and the GEN 4's. The only way to get rid of it is apparently to avoid these contagions or if you've come into contact with them severe Physical Therapy for sudden weakness in hands and wrists. And to keep the symptoms down wear a hat with a brim to avoid the further side effects of burns on our heads and faces. Thank you for your excellent advice Dr. Glock! I'll be sure and tell the people in the gun classes that I teach your cure for their problems. Oh and no more practicing from sitting, prone, lying, weak handed, one handed, moving, or anything else that might throw off their perfect stance and grip. And oh yes if they get into a gunfight to ask the bad guy to wait a minute while they put on their wide brimmed hats and make sure and have +P+P+P+P+ ammo in their guns. I'll pass it on.

19. Radian

Radian

Feel free to post a video of this event. The last guy who actually backed his gripe up on tape was holding the pistol like a monkey holding a banana, like a fat man on the couch holding his beer watching monday night football. The G3 34 does not have the new rsa.

Thats why I make the point. That and well over 50,000 rounds on G3 34's, you know, the real world of watching people shoot these guns regularly.

But hey, when national master class shooters start showing up to matches with the same bound drawers and twitsed testes I'll be the first to sound off..

Bob Vogel's g34 must be special, that and all his peers, special guns..

Hey I've got a les baer that cost 4 times more than my G4 26 and jams 10 times more often..

Personally with a G3 34 I would say only a newbie uncomfortable with very basic changes (and hey if you are that guy, nothing wrong with that) would send it to glock to "fix" considering the thousands of aftermarket parts and flood of OEM glock parts for the 34. Considering this is the go to game gun in IDPA and USPSA (35) you think more people would be having problems with it. Funny I just don't see high round count experienced guys with this problem..

Maybe its not the gun. We still talking g3 34 or did this drift off topic?

You are an NRA certified instructor or teaching at gunsite or in Northern Virginia then I bet you have seen how speer gold dot / lawman (standard or +p), or any other premium ammo like ranger +P+ ejects a tad different
    than the puffy UMC plinker ammo.

In a real gunfight my assumption it that the brass is not a real factor, even if it lands on your head. Short of wedging into your eyeball blinding you I assume that brass would be secondary to, say, a person trying to kill you.

But hey, just a guess.

20. markofva

markofva

I too had a problem with ejections on my head, but after shooting the the GSSF in Roanoke and gettings some excellent instruction most of my problems have gone away. Thanks to Danny and Simon
    Thanks.