close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

So talk to me about BusyBox...

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Pierre!, Jul 28, 2011.

1. Pierre!

Pierre! NRA Life Member

Jun 20, 2003
    Lovin Sparks Nv!
    Hey to All,

Found 'BusyBox' loading on a D-Link router during start up... and I don't have 'BusyBox' on MY identical router...

Client had no idea either... so I pulled it and swapped in one of my spare routers.

I get the impression after googleing that this is a Linux open source "network tool" that is frequently used for *hacking*... Am I reading this right?

I think I will download the most recent D-Link router software for the model and overwrite the current OS.. and see if BusyBox mysteriously *goes away*....

Any other thoughts I should entertain?

TIA

Patrick

2. jasonvp

jasonvp Kantre Member Lifetime Member

BusyBox is a statically linked, all-in-one mini Linux distribution that is used for several things like routers, NAT devices, and a few other things. In fact, VMWare's hypervisor is also built off of BusyBox.

It's basically a teeny distro with a kernel and one or two different executable files. Each of those files can do a ton of different things.

It's entirely likely that someone replaced the factory OS on the D-Link device with one based on BusyBox. Not sure there, but it's nothing to worry about unless it's not working.

jas

3. Pierre!

Pierre! NRA Life Member

Jun 20, 2003
    Lovin Sparks Nv!
    Unless I got 'busyboxed' as well, it must be part of the router firmware! Mine states it too during startup... and I am 'clean'.

Great! Lil bit o sweat for nothin. :cool: