So Silver is over $24/oz....

Discussion in 'Survival/Preparedness Forum' started by emt1581, Oct 13, 2010.

1. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

I'm not sure I understand you there. I mean, my whole point is that, if silver is going up in price in relation to the dollar it's not a great thing unless you are sitting on a mountain of silver and are also able to stay away from any rioting/riff raff that might be happening as a result of the bad economic times.

But are you saying that if things aren't going up in price...but silver is...cash some in and buy stuff or what?

Thanks!

-Emt1581

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!

2. I have checked e-bay gold, and silver, prices at least daily for many years. Today silver sold a few times for $30 per ounce, and the 20 Franc Swiss Gold Coins were going for $290. Crazy prices but there is only about 20% of the sellers there usually is. Looks like those that have it are sitting tight, and those that want it will pay a premium.

Silver is being sold for 20%+ over spot, and gold at $1371, todays close, is getting close to those numbers.

Looks like a LOT of people are scared to death of Obama's "CHANGE" and are heading to the lifeboats.:wow::wow::wow:

3. FACTS trump opinions: http://www.bls.gov/news.release/ppi.nr0.htm

And we ALL know cost increases are passed on to the consumer.

SC

#43 SilverCity, Oct 15, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2010
  4. I wouldn't keep anything valuable in a safe deposit box, if the government seized gold one time doesn't mean they won't seize silver next time.

5. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

Excellent point and also the reason I will never pay for one.

-Emt1581

6. So, the idea is to use silver as money to buy things in a SHTF scenario?
    And, if there is a huge crisis and the banks slam the doors closed (ie: you can't get into the building) how do you get your silver out of the safety deposit box?
    If things are so dire that currency has broken down completely, who would be willing to take silver -vs- gasoline or wheat or whatever as payment?
    If things broke down to where currency didn't work anymore, how would silver trade in exchange for goods work? Someone would have to want your silver it to use for something else for it to be of value, and it would have to hold value in your particular area... correct?
    You can cash in the silver at some point, but based on the above comments it would just be getting cashed in on worthless paper currency or notes.
    I'm confused by the whole concept. I realize in history these things had value, but I'm not seeing how that translates into value in the future framed against a breakup of society, law and order.

7. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

I'll be honest, up until about a month or two ago, I was confused as well...and I figured usable/consumable goods would be far more desired than PM's. But really, PM's have been an agreed upon hold of value for thousands of years. So yes, I believe they will be a good currency compared to paper which just symbolizes value.

What still confuses me is how someone will establish an agreed upon value of the PM. The typical response is "supply and demand". But someone who's in a jam and about to die without water might pay 20oz. of gold for one bottle of water....is that even remotely a fair deal? Wouldn't the person about to die be better off just plugging the guy over charging? And wouldn't the gouger deserve what he gets? These are questions and suggestions that are often frowned upon and scoffed at by a lot of PM holders...but no one can really offer an intelligent solution around gouging.

But aside from the gouging issue PM's really are an intelligent way to do business. Think about it...it's an element. No exchange rates, no currencies to worry about losing/gaining "value", etc. It's universal.

Think about life now though...is money all you need? Hell no!! You need food/water, shelter, some money, guns/ammo, medical supplies, etc...you'll need the exact same supplies should the SHTF.

Back to your view of the future let me ask this. If something has had value for thousands of years, is valuable now, why would it be worthless in the future?

-Emt1581

8. They did demand that AMERICAN gold coins be turned in. Coins with collector value were exempt, which is why I am hot on the 20 Franc French, Swiss, and Belgium coins. They are collectors pieces but have very little, less than 10%, over spot prices. Also the fractional coins would be easier to barter, if need be, and would slide under the radar with the new $600 limit Obama attached to his Health Care Bill.

9. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

So what stops them from deleting the word American in a future bill?? And at that point is the average American even following what the gov. says anymore and just handing over their life savings??

-Emt1581

10. Big Bird

Big Bird NRA Life Member

OK then...well I guess they Democrats really screwed the pooch this go-round because they really haven't done very well in terms of manipulating the markets.

I mean seriously? If they can do it...why not do it all the time? Why not create perpetual prosperity? Why would any political party in power EVER let something like a Recession, Market down turn, Depression EVER happen? People would gladly vote in a party that could produce perpetual prosperity. So if they control the markets it begs the question...

Exactly HOW does the government prop up the stock market? Where do all these buy orders come from? Who holds the stock? After all major shareholders in public corporations are public record?

11. Even with Bill Clinton (Ruby Ridge/Wayco/perjury) there was still a 'kind' of limit to what Presidential powers could be interpreted as. With Obama he has SAID and SHOWN there is NO limit to what he thinks his powers are limited to.

My cash, and metals, are safer in a safe deposit box, BUT if the political climate gets a bit dicy I am prepared, within minutes, to get out the shovel.:whistling:

12. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

Can't the president issue executive orders for a LOT of things? I know some have time limits but in the mean time, what stops the initial order from being given?

I guess if you are prepared within maybe 5-10 minutes to go grab everything out of the box fine, but who says you'll have that long?

Personally, I think having a good secure vault at home is much safer so long as you layer your security (steel/concrete, security system, dog, guns, motion lighting, etc.). But to each his/her own.

-Emt1581

13. When they come for it, give them your copper and lead.

SC

#54 SilverCity, Oct 15, 2010
  14. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

Well yeah, but that's cutting to the chase. He threw out the whole idea of things being written on paper...

-Emt1581

15. 1933 was a whole different ballgame. Gold was actually money ($20 Eagle) and the bankers could not inflate the money supply as long as the dollar was tied to something in limited supply. Much cheaper to cut the dollar loose...

BTW, few actually complied then, and I am sure Americans would never comply today.Very few (maybe 1-2%) hold bullion inside the country. Most hold it in paper form with the GLD or SLV.

The goonies are WAY more interested in approximately 3-5 TRILLION dollars currently held in IRA, 401Ks, and pension funds. In fact, we will probably see legislation enacted this year or next to confiscate ALL of the money and force people to take "govt. guaranteed" annuities in the form of U.S. treasuries in exchange. Maybe voluntary at first, then mandatory. The idea has been floated around in govt meetings for the past 2 years.

Get your money "off the grid" and out of their hands.

SC

#56 SilverCity, Oct 15, 2010
  16. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

This is why I put most of my money into guns/ammo. It's a LOT harder to confiscate something that can kill you.

-Emt1581

17. Thanks for the info. I think I'll stick with stocking up on other things. I can't see myself selling extra food, wood or ammunition for pieces of metal, especially if there is no intrinsic use for it other than dentistry. Leads to the question of how to find a good dentist after the big one, and whether we'll just go back to pulling teeth instead of filling them. Not saying it would be worthless, just that I don't see it's worth personally. Good luck all.

18. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

You should really search my threads. Seems like you have the same questions I have/had. Just last month I did one on the dentist issue...

-Emt1581

19. My dentist will accept gold and silver for dental work. Now if I could just find a doctor, a veterinarian, a car mechanic, grocer, etc. :supergrin: