close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

So now that I own a Ruger SR1911

Discussion in '1911 Forums' started by minderasr, Jun 4, 2011.

1. minderasr

minderasr NRA Life Member

May 19, 2009
    New York
    ...and seeing that I'm a total noob to this platform, I need some guidance. I noticed most manufacturers reference Colts (Commander, Gov't Model, officer) when it comes to components, holsters, etc. What would be my reference point for this weapon?

With regard to magazines, I've read that I should stick with seven rounders and avoid the eights. Is this true? What brand of magazine should I be looking at?

And finally, what is the general consensus for both IWB and OWB holsters for concealed carry of the 1911?

Thanks guys, I appreciate whatever advice I can get.

2. Three-Five-Seven

Three-Five-Seven Señor Mombo Millennium Member

Aug 8, 1999
    Great Southwest
    it's a 1911, so anything made for a 1911 will work.

Chip McCormick are the most popular around here. I love mine, for two reasons. One, they work. Two, they are very easy to disassemble for cleaning (I drop mine in the dirt during competition). They are 8 round magazines.

My contribution to the general consensus is that a 1911 is easy to conceal, but too damned heavy to carry.

3. You'll want the government size equipment. As for mags I like Wilson, Tripp, and McCormick. Holsters just depends on what you like. Most seem to prefer leather and others kydex. Welcome to the club by the way.

4. BWT

BWT

Apr 27, 2010
    USA
    Yours would be like the Gov't Model or 5". For me (ref mags), Wilson is the best and I have total confidence in both the 7 and 8 round configurations. I keep the 7 round in the 1911 and the two spare are 8 rounds and on the gun belt. I have never carried the 1911 off duty, as its just a little too big for me to carry concealed comfortably. Lately the 1911 has become more of a house and range pistol and my Glock 30SF for daily use.

5. Checkmate and KimPro Tac mags are my favorite mags. They are very well made, have removable base-plates and run great for me.

6. ptmccain

ptmccain

Nov 7, 2010
    Missouri
    Ditto. Mine work very well, and I like the base pad options that come with it, which, for the money, are the best deal going if you need an extended base pad. I added a mag well to my SA Loaded and they work great.

Glenn's Outdoors has them on sale now, and they have both 8 and 7 round mags in stock. Here's a link.

7. Happy Hunting

Happy Hunting

Jul 27, 2010
    DC
    Wilson 47D backups, Wilson 47DC in the tube. You could also get Wilson springs and followers for the mags (9 bucks) that came with your Ruger.

Never had a problem with the 8 rounders and don't think I will.

As far as holsters go... My pretty IWB is a Ritchie stakeout, and my IDPA setup is a Texas Gunleather.

I don't carry spare mags unless I'm playing some kind of game. Oh, I meant training.

8. minderasr

May 19, 2009
    New York
    Wow that's a great price. I don't think I can pass that one up.

Thanks to all who've responded. I really appreciate the suggestions. Keep'em coming!

I forgot to mention, I have a bunch of holsters for my Glocks. I'm partial to the Cross Breed for IWB and a DeSantis speed scabbard for OWB. I also have Super Tuck, Raven, Blackhawk CQC, and Milt Sparks VM2 holsters. The Jury is still out on the Raven, but the others will probably find their way to the classified section sooner or later.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2011
  9. bac1023

bac1023

Sep 26, 2004
    PA
  10. minderasr

May 19, 2009
    New York
    Ordered and received my monkeygrips (thanks Larry!) today.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. HotRoderX

HotRoderX Gen4 BETATester

Jan 15, 2011
    Very nice looking grips they look great on the Ruger Grats

12. Hokie1911

Hokie1911 >

Dec 26, 2003
    NE Ohio
    Not true. He needs to get Gov't model specific mags, grips, etc. Not just "anyting made for a 1911".

Mix in some whey protein shakes and/or hit the gym, Nancy. :nsb:

13. Hokie1911

Hokie1911 >

Dec 26, 2003
    NE Ohio
    Congrats on the Ruger. Larry's Horned Lizards make just about any 1911 look better. :supergrin:

Last edited: Jun 30, 2011
  14. bac1023

bac1023

Sep 26, 2004
    PA
    Congrats! :cool:

15. Hokie1911

Hokie1911 >

Dec 26, 2003
    NE Ohio
    This...

[​IMG]

16. In terms of parts compatibility, it is equivalent to a Colt Series 70 Government Model.

Many 8-round mags work just fine, I have particularly good luck with the Kim-Pro Tac mags.

I prefer Don Hume leather for an IWB holster.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 30, 2011

17. Reminds me of the Russian dolls. :rofl:

18. I have a set of those as well, but they are painted like Santa, so they only get out in December! :supergrin:

19. minderasr

May 19, 2009
    New York
    To be honest, I'm not a fan of the VM2. I prefer the Supertuck, finding it much more comfortable. I'm leaning heavily towards a pancake style speed scabbard for OWB at the moment.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2011