close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

So Lets say I want to start reloading...

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by catalyst686, Aug 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. catalyst686

catalyst686

I have been wanting to start to learn to reload my own ammo for a while now. I don't have anyone who can "teach" me or get me started on the tools/ knowledge I would need. I doubt there are any classes in my area that offer knowledge in this area. I've browsed a little online and am wondering if these are the key components I would need to start a new hobby.
    http://www.amazon.com/Lee-Cast-Iron-Reloading-Luger/dp/B000KOTZPW
    or?
    http://www.cabelas.com/link-12/prod...-958E-DF11-A0C8-002219318F67&mr:referralID=NA

Would either of these kits include all of the parts I would need to reload? I know I would need to get a tool in order to reload 9mm along with powder, brass, bullets, primers, etc....
    I am totally new to this, I know this can be dangerous and I would need to obtain a good amount of knowledge before being able to be a safe and effective with reloading.
    Thanks for the info!:supergrin:

2. Bello

Bello America/Italia

the single stage is nice for starters if you have read about reloading... i use the lee 50th i dont load crazy amounts of ammo but started about a month ago these guys here will help you alot and BREAK your balls

3. Hydraulicman

Hydraulicman

i started with the rockchucker kit. It's a good kit but when i want to shoot more and load less I go to my Dillon 550B

I loaded a few thousand .38 special and a bunch of 9mm before i got a progressive.

I think the progressive is safer. makesure the charge is in the case and place a bullet.

easy

4. GOA Guy

GOA Guy

Buy the Lyman 49th edition reloading manual. Studying a few manuals will get you familiar with nomenclature and procedure. I just saw today in the American Rifleman that Sinclair International has a blog also. blog.sinclairintl.com

5. GioaJack

GioaJack Conifer Jack

If you have a Cabelas in your area they offer free loading classes every week.

Jack

6. Gun Nut 99

Gun Nut 99

Check www.brianenos.com and read, read, read and read some more.
    They also have "EZ-Buy" Packages will kind of let you know items that you will need.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2010
  7. catalyst686

catalyst686

GioaJack---I never knew that! There is one about 25 minutes away from me. sweet! Thanks for the info!

Last edited: Aug 13, 2010
  8. GioaJack

GioaJack Conifer Jack

Give them a call, ask for the reloading department. If it's a newer store most of them have a table set up with five or six different presses that you can play with.

Don't touch any of the Lee presses, they have them wired to electrical outlets, you may have to step over the bodies just to get close enough to see they're not what you want.

(I just love it when I get bored.)

Jack

9. shotgunred

shotgunred local trouble maker

10. tshadow6

tshadow6

For handgun calibers, the Dillon Square Deal is the best value for your money. It comes from the factory set up for the caliber of your choice. Lifetime, no BS warranty (Dillon's words, not mine.) Check them out.

11. ron59

ron59 Bustin Caps

Watch this video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRZrbv_8kx4&feature=related

This is part 1 of 5, each 10 minutes long. this is 550 specific, but there's info that is good for ANY press.

It's really not that hard, just keep researching. Also, pistol (straight-walled) like 9mm is WAY easier than rifle.

12. at_liberty

at_liberty

When I started out there was absolutely no chance that I would have considered a budget big enough to include a Dillon or Hornady progressive. There have to be more realistic answers that make reloading more approachable.

13. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

It's called the Lee Classic Turret or any number of single stages. Soon enough Uncle Don and Jerry will come along and say to get the Load Master. This place is very predicatable. Me included.

14. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Get a Lee Classic Turret.. it's a great press to learn on. You'll do about a 150-180rds an hour when you get the hang of it, and it's not expensive at all.

IGF

15. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

Opps, I forgot. Uncle Don does not suggest starting on a progressive. He suggests a LCT or a Single Stage as well.

16. shotgunred

shotgunred local trouble maker

Everyone has their own budget. Not knowing what it is makes suggesting harder.
    I think that a Dillon or Hornady progressive is the best answer. I did say...

I
    Personally I would never buy another lee. My lee turret press was so bad that I will not buy anything that Lee sells. But as Steve and Rusty both recommend the Lee Classic Turret so it is probably a good low cost solution. But even the Lee guys agree that the Lee Classic Turret is the best press that lee makes.

If you buy a Dillion 550 you may want a faster press but it is unlikely you will ever need another press. My 550 payed for itself in under six months. By buying a Dillon or Hornady progressive you can also get most of your money back out of it if you decide that you don't want to reload.But yes people loaded on single stage press before progressives were made. Heck I was watching a show on Afghanistan and they had boys (six and seven) making bullets with hammers and hand dies.

17. joeyshmoey

joeyshmoey

So this is the is. Take a look at this video and the other 2 behind it. I just bought the breech challenger kit today at Cabela's. 99 bucks and 25 for the die and case holder. get some projectiles powder and primer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQNz2ie5H5U

18. malleable

malleable

19. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

I agree

I think it's funny that we don't think twice about throwing expensive factory ammo down range NEVER to see it again. But we balk at buying a quality press that we will own the rest of our life to make ammo at 50% less per round. If you don't shoot enough to justify (cost wise) buying a good progressive then you don't need a good progressive. So it's not a downgrade to buy something slower. At least thats the way I see it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.