close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

So, just how uncool are minivans?

Discussion in 'Car Forum' started by Eagle78101, Oct 9, 2005.

1. Eagle78101

Eagle78101

Jul 6, 2005
    Texas
    Anybody here drive one? Personally, I like them because they are safe (relatively speaking) and designed to be practical rather than stylish. But they are stereotyped as "momobiles" and people have rather strong opinions either for or against them.

What do you think?

2. They serve a purpose. BTDT. Family grew out of the mini-van stage. The newer ones are much cooler than during my mini-van years.

3. bac1023

bac1023

Sep 26, 2004
    PA
    I have never owned one, but wouldn't hesitate to buy one if I had the need. I don't know if I'd get one over a 4x4 SUV.

4. Asha'man

Asha'man eat the eat!

Jan 13, 2004
    Denver
  5. Rob1035

Rob1035 Skeet Surfer

Jan 24, 2005
    Charlotte NC
    IMHO, and I'm sure this will go over like a lead zepplin, but minivans are cooler than SUVs for the most part. In my neck of the woods, 90% of them do the exact same thing, which is haul kids around, and minivans do it better (to me). As stated in the "$35,000" thread though, my preference for baby hauling is a wagon, booyah.

Does anyone remember the article where they autocrossed a Honda Odyssey (iirc), and with decent tires, it was actually decently quick? I think they contrasted it with a Porsche 356 or somehting like that

6. dissthis

dissthis Gun Fan

Aug 24, 2005
    Marietta, GA
    Mini-van??

NEVER, even with the 3rd child on the way!!

7. epsylum

epsylum Boolit Hoze

Sep 4, 2004
    Racing Capital, USA
    I'd only get a Honda or Toyota. Just personal prefernce.

I'd try to make a sport wagon to work first. Subaru makes some nice sporty wagons (some even with turbos, but all with AWD).

8. UCF-Tacoma

UCF-Tacoma Super Member

Feb 2, 2001
    It was a Super Bird or whatever the proper name is. The one with the big wing. And the Odyssey was weighed down with waitresses to even out the weight difference.

9. one thing about a mini-van...it's easier to shag your wife and/or girlfriend or both in one of those than a car.

Hax

10. Rob1035

Rob1035 Skeet Surfer

Jan 24, 2005
    Charlotte NC
    UFC- was that grassroots motorsports? I seem to think it was...

11. If you have some sort of PSP suite, you can search and download a video clip of an older Dodge Caravan that has a small turbo charged 4 cylinder engine in it. Unbeknownst to most, that little engine can stand a TON of boost, and make sick power.

The video is a minivan with a soccer ball sticker on it ANNIHILATING a Camaro at a drag strip, it's by far one of the funniest things I have ever seen.

If you can download it, it's worth the watch as you can hear the people in the stands laughing their *****es off.

Hax

12. gixxer11

gixxer11 bbrrraaapppppp!

Jan 11, 2005
    in the garage

Ya mean this video?

13. gixxer11

gixxer11 bbrrraaapppppp!

Jan 11, 2005
    in the garage
    Hey, Mazda Miatas are supposed to be for girls, but I would love to own one (if I could fit in the thing). BTW, the Honda or the Toyota are pretty cool in my book. Especially compared to Buick Rondevous (and all it's BS varuants), Ford Escape, and all of the other "cute-utes". You could do ALOT worse than buying a mini-van. Hell you could buy another POS Caddy for $70k that is totally indistinguishble from it's POS Suburban counterpart. They're both some of the UGLYIST (along with the H2&3 Hummers) vehicles ever produced. And you'll blend right in with all the "moms".

14. vart

vart

Feb 17, 2000
    The Palouse
    My wife traded in her 2001 Infiniti QX4 luxury SUV for a 2005 Chrysler Town & Country minivan and she swears she won't go back to an SUV until the kids are out of the house.

The van is so much more practical, roomy, comfortable, and averages 24 mpg compared to 15 mpg for the SUV.

15. walangkatapat

walangkatapat Millennium Member

Aug 28, 1999
    Orygun
    After totaling my 95 Impala SS ~sd I only had one choice and that was, is the minivan. Frankly they are very versatile and get decent gas mileage. My family of five and used to have two labs works out very well. Seats eight, the back and middle seats are removable and there's enough room to haul two 40 gallon water heaters to the dump as well as other items. Also all the target stands, steel plates, range bags, firearms that can be hauled to the range.

16. epsylum

epsylum Boolit Hoze

Sep 4, 2004
    Racing Capital, USA
    My family had a Ford Aerostar for a while when I was younger. We got it because at the time we were taking weekly trips to a town 2.5 hours away to visit my great grandmother who was towards the end of her run.

We got the van so the four of us (or more sometimes) could make the trip as comfortably as possible. Man those things are sweet for road trips. We had the 4 capatians chairs and back bench setup. That bench made a great bed while on the road. We kept a cooler in the back so we didn't even have to stop to eat. Just grab some pre-made sandwiches and drinks out of the cooler and pass them around.

17. coreseller

coreseller

Sep 22, 2005
    Real Simple: Minivans are INCREDIBLY practical, especially if you have more than 2 kids. The wife got a new Oddysey this past spring, no regrets, 24 plus mpg loaded down on the road. Our old minivan (99 Olds Silhouette) was the worst POS we've ever owned (20 trips to the shop in 4 years). To be honest, I'll occassionally drive her van to relax and she takes my new GTO for fun. BTW, I still stand to pee and the boys are still there, I need them when road racing my Cobra....;f