So I'm pretty sure I want a hi point and I don't know why

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by Snaps, Dec 27, 2012.

1. I see guys saying they are flawless then state that eventually due to a design flaw it will fail them. They're not talking about one but both of their hi-points. The person also stated they don't know when it'll happen, just that it will.

We are talking about firearms here not garden hoses. But wait it has a lifetime warranty. Who's lifetime? Yours after the garbage gun fails when needed most? Do they(hi-point) send the "repaired(?)" firearm to your wife and kids after the homicide detectives get it back from forensics?

Firearms serve one purpose. The one they were designed for, preservation of life. I'd rather not have a functionally ticking time bomb pulling protective duty.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. I have the C9 and 995. I have not had one single problem with either. The 995 is one of my favorite guns that I have owned. Very accurate, and functions 100%.

You probably already know this, but Hi-Point offers a life time no questions asked warranty, even if you buys used, so don't be nervous going down that road.

Good Luck! And if you do get it don't forget the range report

3. superdoc

Millennium Member

they have been on the Buds "Most Popular Firearm" list for the last few years. Amazed me. Think of how many they must sell.

4. One fine looking piece of machinery that is a blast to shoot at the range.

I have extra mags, so that helps.

5. Really? I didn't know that.

And all these years I've just been using mine for fun.

Who knew?

#45 CajunBass, Dec 29, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2012
  6. Read post 32. Even a Hi-Point proponent that is recommending the guy purchase one of these things admits it is a ticking time bomb. He even showed evidence of the facts he stated. If that's your idea of a carry gun then by all means have at it.

I love it when people get so attached and defensive over a tool.

I would like to hear the what the pro Hi-Point guys use to qualify thier Hi-Points as quality/gtg. Example where do you use these handguns most often and in what capacity (i.e. classes, static range, how often, how many rounds over what time frame).

7. I have no problem using my Hi-Point for hd, which is its duty and it's ready to go. All guns can and will fail at some point. Nothing like regular mnx on guns, especially cheaper ones :embarassed:

8. jakebrake

jakebrake cracker

i actually see one of these from time to time. cuy loves it (he's older) says parts are hard to come by, but available. has over 200k on it.

i thought about a hi point because they are dirt cheap. sort of a "why not" but i will only buy a used one. figure it's going to go for, what, 75 bucks?

9. raxar

raxar Golliwog

actually they do smell remarkably like a garden hose...

OTOH get over it, the guy's looking for a toy, not the ultimate self defense piece. You ever eat at McDonalds? Same concept

10. glock2740

glock2740 Gun lover.

I have a couple of buddies who have some (2 9mm's and a .40). While I have no desire to own one, We have shot several hundred trouble free rounds with no issues whatsoever. And they are fairly accurate. They are ugly as hell and feel like crap with horrific triggers, but they are cheap as it can get.

11. Mines certainly not a toy and would do just fine for HD if that's all I had. I would think with the longer barrel, one could increased velocity/FPS with +p.

Close to 500 rds and not one hiccup. Only maintenance was a bore cleaning.

Someone mentioned getting a used one for $75....afraid those days are long gone. GB has them bidding for almost $300 with a day or two left.

#51 meathead19, Dec 29, 2012
  12. Ive always been on the fence about getting one. Then I think about how after paperwork, DOJ and taxes Im gonna be 170 or 180 out the door. Id rather just buy ammo with the money. If I had a lot of dought though I would certainly snag one just for grins.

#52 bmoore, Dec 29, 2012
  13. Dang, calm down.

I don't think the OP is looking to use it for defensive purposes. He's just curious about them, much like I was.

14. Who said anything about a carry gun? Even the OP didn't say anything about carring a Hi-Point. Neither did I.

I guess you need to go back and read what I quoted. I didn't take exception to anything you or anyone else said about Hi-Point. I took exception to your comment that the only purpose a firearm has is the preservation of life. Sorry, that just 'taint so. I've owned a bunch of firearms in my life, and I have yet to use to "preserve" my life. I shoot just for the pure fun of it.

I owned a Hi-Point C-9 for several years. I only shot it for a couple of years, I got bored with it and moved on to other things, but I put over 2,000 rounds through it over that time period. 9mm ammo was cheap, and it was fun to shoot. I had a total of six malfunctions during that time. Four of those came out of one box of reloads. I sold it not long ago for almost what I paid for it. I saw no evidence of wear at all, not even the finish.

It was exactly what I got it for. A fun gun to shoot.

15. hoghunter82

hoghunter82 FL Glocker #182

Every time I buy an inexpensive handgun I end up regretting it. Something inevitably will go wrong with it and I wish I would have saved the $ towards something better or (especially in today's environment) used the $ to buy ammo. Now if I bought something cheap and it ran flawless I would be pretty darn happy- it just hasn't happened yet. I am using my money to buy trusted names. Yes they can have issues as well but they generally make it right.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

#55 hoghunter82, Dec 29, 2012
  16. Sad mentality/mindset here.

17. JaPes

JaPes Rimfire 1010101

That was me. I recommend he purchase one because I assume he already has other handguns, and has an itch to try a Hi-Point for himself.
    I want to make sure he knows what the real deal of a Hi-Point is. I make no false representations of a Hi-Point being perfect. I did state that the Hi-Point has given me flawless operation so far. I do claim it's fun to own and shoot at the range. I never recommended he use it as a carry gun. In the OP's original post, he never insinuated he'd use a Hi-Point as a carry gun. You made the conversational leap to "carry gun" all on your own.

Zymak casting is not as strong as steel period. At some point the Zymak slide will fail (crack). Hi-Point owners who don't acknowledge this are lying to themselves. The gun is inexpensive for a reason. Better the OP understand this before buying a Hi-Point.

When the pistol fails, Hi-Point will refurbish the pistol to new condition. For a range gun, that's not bad at all.

I respectfully disagree. Firearms serve multiple purposes. I have some that are range guns only. Some are bullseye guns. Some I have just for the hell of it. I own a couple Hi-Points just for range fun.

Woah man. Calm down a bit. Any gun can fail at any time. You're taking a discussion on the recreational use of firearms out of context. You're putting the discussion into the a let's defend the Nakatomi Tower from 1980's European terrorists context. :supergrin:

(just to be clear, I mean no insult...I'm making a sarcastic joke for chuckles)

#57 JaPes, Dec 29, 2012
  18. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Sometimes you gotta go hoggin'. I have a few Tauruses myself.

19. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

That's his modus operandi. Everything is all about combat with him. Heaven forbids that people can't own guns just for the heck of it.

20. Is that like fat chicks and scooters? :tongueout: