close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

So I respond to a bank robbery in progress...

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by ar-steve, Aug 31, 2011.

1. ar-steve

ar-steve

Jun 4, 2004
    washington
    and my new Eo-Tech 512 takes a crapp. Just kept shutting itself off. This thing was made in June 2010. I bought it new, and put it on my rifle in Feb.2011. They are fixing me up good though. They are sending out a more expensive model at no charge. I love the timing though. *****bank robbery turned out to be a non-event.****

2. UrbanOps

UrbanOps

Jan 5, 2007
    MO
    What are they trading it out for? XPS hopefully!

3. ar-steve

ar-steve

Jun 4, 2004
    washington
    552, basicly the 512 but NV compatible.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2011
  4. phred119

phred119

Sep 29, 2004
    South Carolina
    I had some issues with my EOTech when I had it. It ate batteries for one, but also, like yours, it would turn itself off.
    For now, I've moved to Aimpoint for my working rifle. Hopefully the 552 works out well for you.

5. Head over to Lightfighter. Plenty of threads about the unreliability of EOTechs, especially the 5XX series. Ask Pat Rogers what he thinks of them and then take cover. :)

Mine became an issue enough that I went to Aimpoint only for RDS.

6. collim1

collim1 Shower Time!

Mar 14, 2005
    USA
  7. Big House

Big House Biggest member

Sep 22, 2009
    Oklahoma
    Lucky you didn't need to depend on a piece of equipment to save your life. Insert sarcasm! This is something that irritates me to the point of chocking someone. They know that there are issues, yet they do nothing and wait for someone to have issues, or worse, get shot. The freaking bean counters have decided that it will cost less to wait than to fix it.

As much as I hate lawsuits, this is one that needs a class action filed.

8. greenman19

greenman19

Nov 6, 2008
    central NC
    maybe it got scared!

9. toddmog

toddmog

May 28, 2007
    Kansas
    As crazy as it sounds, my Primary Arms M4 clone has been more relaiable than several of the Eotechs on our SO range. There has been at least one crap out the last three trainings. When I do upgrade from the PA, it will be an Aimpoint.

10. RetailNinja

RetailNinja

Jan 31, 2007
    Tuktoyaktuk
    A deputy I work with goes to a high speed low drag shoot every year out of state with his uncle. He said this year he noticed that no one single person had an Eotech, and almost everyone had AIMpoints.

11. msu_grad_121

msu_grad_121 BOOSH

Sep 16, 2009
    NW Burbs
    I'm not surprised. Primary Arms is a heck of a sleeper company. I had one of their lights for my personally owned M4 and it was incredibly bright and well made, and a heck of a deal.

I owned an Eotech on the same rifle and it served me well. I'm surprised they've got such a crap reputation.

12. CAcop

CAcop

Jul 21, 2002
    California
    Ever since a San Jose PD swatologist had a suspect in his sights and clear to fire only to have the EOtech go TU at that moment we have run our rifles with the back up sights permanently up.

Which of course totally overloads my brain for some reason so I just stopped using the EOtech and use iron sights only.

13. GPalmer

GPalmer CLM

May 20, 2006
    I have several EOTech's which so far haven't failed on me but I have heard so many tales of this failure I've switched to Aimpoints for anything serious.

14. One of the biggest issues traced back to EOTech failures has been the battery case. For me, I found the reticle to be too busy but yet, can run irons in the lower 1/3 without issue (fixed front, Larue fixed rear BUIS). The simple dot was a winner for me, regardless of the durability of the EOTech.

15. Cochese

Cochese Most mackinest CLM

Jun 30, 2004
    Unmarked Rustbox
    I've never had an issue with my old 2006 512 or my 2010 XPS.

A co-worker just had this happen with his 512 two days ago, while we were doing a warrant service with USMS. :wow:

He needs to send his back.

16. COLOSHOOTR

COLOSHOOTR

Sep 29, 2005
    Colorado
    Dead batteries have been the biggest issued I've had with my EoTech's but I have heard of many issues such as the OP's. One guy had a Aimpoint at my rifle class that would not turn on due to some sort of switch problem. That just proves the problems can happen with any of them....

I really want to like the Aimpoint for the battery life but I just like the EoTech reticle better. I think the EoTech is more precise and faster. You can use the the outer ring for CQB work while having the 1 MOA center dot zeroed for 100-200yds. The 65MOA ring accounts for your sight offset at close range (Inside 15yds). You place the bottom of the ring where you want the round to go and you get fairly precise head shots on hostage targets. Plus I I like the more open field of view with the EoTech.

If the Aimpoint came with a reticle more suited for the varied enviroments of LE work I'd switch in a heartbeat so I never have to worry about batteries again!

Last edited: Sep 1, 2011
  17. Cochese

Cochese Most mackinest CLM

Jun 30, 2004
    Unmarked Rustbox
    Agreed on all points. I want to like the Aimpoint and have toyed with getting a micro but they need.to offer the L3 reticle. I also much prefer the larger viewfinder on the L3. Luckily, I have had no problems.

18. DaBigBR

DaBigBR No Infidels!

Oct 28, 2005
    Circling the wagons.
    Dead batteries and corrorded contacts will get those things. My 552 had a contact go to hell and it never was reliable after that. Sent it in to EOTech well out of warranty and they refurbed it for something like $75 with return shipping. I couldn't complain.

The XPS series with the transverse battery and screw on battery door is substantially better designed.

19. Hollywood D

Hollywood D

Jun 10, 2006
    Hmm, never had any issues with mine. I can't remember what model mine is but it has the buttons on the side. I still prefer iron sights for anything over 50 yards tho.

20. nitesite10mm

nitesite10mm Dog Lover

Jun 9, 2006
    North Alabama
    I don't pound my XPS EoTech with a hammer or anything, but it has been 100% reliable. I did take into account at the time of purchase the vastly improved battery compartment on the XPS. Compared to an Aimpoint I like the wider FOV window of an EoTech, and since it shuts itself off well then the "turn it on leave it on" fun factor of the Aimpoint is a moot point for me. In CQB I think the EoTech 65-MOA circle is wonderful when aiming both eyes open inside of 20-feet.

I also appreciate that the EoTech just seems to sit lower for me and I like a cheekweld that keeps by eyes as low as possible.

I'll give credit to Aimpoint for making amazingly rugged and accurate dot sights and I actually like them quite a bit. But EoTech doesn't really deserve a bad rap because of a few units that malf.