close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Snub nose .357

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by kswiss2783, Sep 24, 2012.

1. kswiss2783

kswiss2783

Jun 25, 2005
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I am considering carrying a snub nose as a BUG on my ankle. Any advice/thoughts on which one to get? I lack revolver knowledge.

2. NMG26

NMG26

Jul 24, 2010
    NM

That would be a bit heavy.

Maybe a LCR in 357.

3. 4 glocks

4 glocks

Jun 29, 2010

For ankle carry I would agree.

4. For an ankle gun you need LIGHT WEIGHT. I mean as light as you can get it.

Airweight would be minimum. I prefer a TCP/LCP/P3AT style .380 for that due to the ridiculously light weight. But if you really want a revolver, get the 'TI' S&W version that weight something like 12 ounces.

That way you won't look like you're dragging one foot all the time.

Deaf

5. NEOH212

NEOH212 Diesel Girl

Mar 25, 2008
    North East Ohio
    Ruger SP101.

If you want something a little lighter, consider the Ruger LCR.

My personal preference is the SP101. It's the one and only snub you'll ever need and after you shoot it, it's the only one you'll ever want!

Yes, it's that good and a, "Blast" to shoot!

:wavey:

6. Caver 60

Caver 60

Jun 12, 2007
    Midwest
    If you ever have to shoot one of those things in a confined space without hearing protection, Your ears will ring for a long time. Of course maybe you'll be alive. But they are really loud!

7. CDR_Glock

CDR_Glock

Apr 1, 2010
    Virginia
    It is best to get one with a concealed hammer. It is less likely to snag.

You need to feel the different double action triggers. Some will be manageable. Others are a chore.

A minimum weight to handle the load is important. I prefer 24 oz.

The LCR 357 is only 17 oz. too light, for me.

8. R*E

R*E

May 12, 2008
    Consider an Airweight S&W revolver like the 442 or 642. It has a concealed hammer and a trigger way smoother that the Ruger SP101.

9. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Oct 23, 2000
    California & New Mexico, US
    Try to rent or borrow one and shoot it first before committing to a .357 Mag snub nose.

10. MrMurphy

MrMurphy ********* Moderator Moderator Millennium Member Lifetime Member

Jan 16, 2001
    Buried in the X-files
    .38 +P, not a .357.

Lighter is better.

The SP101 is the sumo wrestler of snubnoses. It might be short, but it's not an ankle or pocket gun. Thus why it's easy to shoot, it's heavy as hell.

The S&W 642 or 442 or Ruger LCR would be the only three choices unless you go with the S&W Titanium/Scandium/Totallyunobtanium guns.

11. I dumped my super light revolver because I couldn't shoot it for Richard. Just picked up the SP101 and its a ton easier to shoot but way too heavy for ankle carry. Ever shot a revolver, I have a lot of respect for those that do it well.

12. I agree.

But if 357 is the requirement over 38, it's gonna have to be either the 357 version of the Ruger LCR, or one of those S&W vibranium versions.

If 38 is ok, then the aluminum frame 642 is the way to go :) LCR would be ok too. Both are lightweight and snagfree because of the internal hammer.

Personally I prefer the 38 out of a lightweight snubby. I have a 357 large frame all steel Ruger GP100 for hunting. I'm thinking of a getting a Ruger SP101, but not for ankle carry, and not with the snubby barrel. Instead to help tame blast and to keep that 357 velocity, it'd have to be 3" to 4" length. That's where I'm leaning.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2012
  13. eracer

eracer Where's my EBT?

Apr 5, 2011
    Tampa, FL
    I shoot .38 SPL +P in my LCR.

I can't imagine trying to control that gun in .357 Mag.

I've shot a Magnum Research single-shot pistol chambered in 30.06 that I believe is easier to handle.

(Tough to strap that puppy on an ankle, however...:supergrin:

14. Baba Louie

Baba Louie

Sep 6, 2001
    Then please consider this... most wheelgun afficianados consider the snub nose to be an experts choice due to the tradeoff in size, which of course affects sight distances, recoil, weight, etc.

For your first choice a snubbie might not be your best learning tool. But on the other hand, once you have become a student of the darnnd little things, (as others have pointed out) there is a reason J frames, LCRs and SP101s are such great sellers for their mfg's.

I have a S&W 60 in .357, and as others have pointed out, it's a tad heavy for me to put on an ankle and shooting full power loads can get old fast when at the range. But it is fun and accurate. More of an IWB carry tho for moi.

A 442 or my little 317 can go with me all day long but, limited by tradeoffs (power and round count) which I can live with.

YMMV

Let us know whatcha get and your thoughts once you've put a couple hundred rounds downrange.

15. cmzx9r

cmzx9r

Jul 10, 2007
    Toledo OH
    +1 on the M&P 340.
    Nice having a front night sight.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

16. whitebread

whitebread ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Nov 29, 2010
    Raleigh, NC
    Excellent gun and it is very easy to ankle carry. You can also get a 'no-lock' version now as well.

17. Wolfdad

Wolfdad

Apr 19, 2011
    A S&W 642 in 38+P is as heavy as I want to go for ankle carry. 357mag out of a lightweight snub is brutal. I'd rather have a gun that I could comfortably shoot to build proficiency. The LCR in 357mag might be a possibility though.

18. byf43

byf43 NRA Life Member

Apr 13, 2006
    Southern Maryland
    S&W mdl 60, then 'bob' the hammer. That's your ankle gun.