close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

"Snapped Holster" in car in Florida

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by ParabellumChambered, Apr 25, 2013.

1. ParabellumChambered

ParabellumChambered

Jan 11, 2013
    Florida
    So I know that in Florida, the law states that in order to transport a firearm in a vehicle, it must be securely encased or in a Snapped holster. Would having a pistol in a kydex holster with retention be illegal since it does not literally have a snap? I am talking about in a case where an individual does not have a CWP.

2. INEEDMILK

INEEDMILK

Feb 1, 2012
    "securely encased in your conveyance" is the legal verbage. that means anything with a latch or interlocking parts (snap, as you said, or zipper). Kydex retention is probably not covered in this circumstance.

Another thing to note is that A LOT OF POLICE OFFICERS DO NOT KNOW THE LAW. They are still taught (incorrectly I might add) the idiotic "three step rule" in the academy. It literally comes down to the officer saying to himself "that looks unsafe" or "that's probably illegal".

My point is that you could be in full compliance with Florida code and still be arrested, have your weapon confiscated and be thrown in jail for the night. Yea your case gets tossed out by the judge in court, but you still have to deal with the hassle of getting your gun back.

Best to just get a CCW and avoid the possibility of misinterpretation.

3. ParabellumChambered

ParabellumChambered

Jan 11, 2013
    Florida
    Makes perfect sense. So with a CWP I can obviously have it on me, but no holster or secure case would be needed to be compliant with the law, correct?

4. fuzzy03cls

fuzzy03cls

Jan 28, 2010
    Florida
    Yes & no. If you have the holster out on the seat or the dash or on your lap you'd be legal if it was in a snapped holster unconcealed.
    However, If it was in the kydex holster with no snap inside your glove box, or center console or a shoe box it would be legal as well.
    The statues as written does not mean both conditions must be met, only 1 of them.

If you have the gun out on the seat or dash in the open in the kydex holster only then yes that doesn't meet the definition.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2013
  5. Zeebra724

Zeebra724

Jun 19, 2012
    PA
    I agree! Just my 2 cents, but you never know when you might need or want to have your firearm concealed on your person in the future, and having your CC permit would make a lot of your other concerns with transporting your firearm melt away.

6. ParabellumChambered

ParabellumChambered

Jan 11, 2013
    Florida
    Alrighty, thanks guys! Because I was wanting to mount a kydex holster below the steering wheel.

7. Bill Lumberg

Bill Lumberg BTF Inventor

Jun 14, 2002

8. fuzzy03cls

fuzzy03cls

Jan 28, 2010
    Florida
    If you have a concealed & throw a towel over it, or otherwise conceal it, it would be legal. I have a crossbreed setup in my truck but have a cloth over it to conceal when I put my gun into it for long road trips.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2013
  9. 4Rules

4Rules

Mar 11, 2012
    [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJK4n1z29ag"]Wilderness Safepacker holster in use - YouTube[/ame]

10. Vdoc

Vdoc

Jun 13, 2010
    North Texas
    I use a console carry. Guess I have to right off Florida, as a place not to go. i sure don't need anyone to tell me how best to carry in my TRUCK

11. douggmc

douggmc

Feb 23, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    NO. YOU ARE WRONG.

Sorry to shout ... but this needs to be corrected. In Florida, the CWP applies ONLY to a weapon concealed on your person.

Carrying it in your conveyance , but NOT concealed on your person, then the CWP has no relevance at all.

Anybody, who is otherwise not excluded by law(e.g. a minor, felon, etc) can carry a firearm in their vehicle as long as not concealed on your person (unless CWP holder). Per Florida law it must be "securely encased". A prior post gave some examples of "securely encased". A "towel" over it ... in and of itself (with no other mechanism "securely encasing" it ... would absolutely not qualify.

In your particular case, a handgun with simply a "towel thrown over it" while in a crossbreed holster (their holsters have no latching, snapping, or otherwise mechanical mechanism, to secure it in the holster) clearly does not qualify as "securely encased". Now .. if you put it in a glove compartment or center console ... either of which can close with a latch mechanism, you would be fine.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2013
  12. douggmc

douggmc

Feb 23, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    In my opinion, a kydex holster alone is not "securely encased". Put it (the gun already in the holster) in a closeable/latched glove compartment or center console .. you would be fine.

CWP is irrelevant. It only allows you to carry concealed, on your person.

13. douggmc

douggmc

Feb 23, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    Just to reiterate ... a CCW/CWP is of no relevance to carrying a firearm in your vehicle, but NOT concealed on your person.

14. SCmasterblaster

SCmasterblaster Millennium Member

Sep 24, 1999
    Hartford, Vermont
  15. tjshea

tjshea

Jun 23, 2006
    Tampa
    Do you have case law that says its not relevant?

16. Rick C

Rick C affiant

Aug 1, 2001
    NW FL
    Around 2004 I had a S&W 342 in a Mike’s #3 holster stashed under the front seat that was considered “securely encased” by a local Sheriff’s Deputy. The Deputy was extremely pissed over the stop (my fault).
    My point being that "securely encased "is open to interpretation.
    Nothing came of the stop, other than me sitting in the backseat of the cruiser, un-cuffed, while I gave them permission to search the vehicle.

17. douggmc

douggmc

Feb 23, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    Florida Statutes, Chapter 790

Particularly 790.001 Section 17 ...

:wavey:

Last edited: Apr 27, 2013
  18. douggmc

douggmc

Feb 23, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    How about the Florida Statutes:

Florida 790.25

Particularly ...

Florida 790.06

:wavey:

19. Bruce M

Bruce M

Jan 3, 2010
    S FL
    If the gun were not securely encased in the passenger compartment, would it be legal if the person had a concealed weapon permit?