close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Smoking Turkey Breast

Discussion in 'Food Forum' started by California Jack, Jan 21, 2008.

1. California Jack

California Jack Millennium Member

Aug 2, 1999
    Got a new smoker for xmas, a Masterbuilt. Having fun with it, so fae done 4 chickens, a brisket and I have a Boston Butt going as we speak. Next is a turkey breast. I plan to brine it and than smoke it over either hickory or mesquite.

So my question is about how long will I need to smoke a turkey breast? I know to use a meat thermometer, but in planning I need an estimate on how long it will cook.

Any thought on brining?

Thanks,
    Jack

2. jason10mm

jason10mm NRA-GOA-TSRA

Jan 27, 2001
    Clarksville, TN
    go to www.virtualweberbullet.com

Not the same smoker, but a TON of good advice and recipies.

I have the bullet and failed on my first smoke. It was a whole chicken and I couldn't get it hot enough. It was a cold and very windy day though, so I think I didn't have enough charcoal to compensate. The cooked parts tasted good though :)

3. Garweh

Garweh CLM

Aug 12, 2002
    Upstate New York
    Assuming a 7 to 8 pound turkey breast, I smoke mine at 225-250 degrees F for approximately 4 hours. I have smoked many turkey breasts and have never brined any. IF properly smoked, the turkey should remain moist. I usually use a rub. I can see the advantage to brining for extra flavor, but it could clash with the smoke flavor.

4. Seafarer12

Seafarer12

May 24, 2007
    Austin, TX
    I always brine my turkey. It comes out great. I also use one of those thermometers on a cord that you leave in the meat and can set it to alarm at a temp. It comes out better than turkey breast in the deli case without all the extra crap. I usually brine with salt, sugar, garlic powder, and sage.

5. California Jack

California Jack Millennium Member

Aug 2, 1999
    It is done. Brined for 24 hours in salt, water, sugar and teragon. On the smoker for 4.5 hours. Smoked over mesquite.

For my first turkey breast attempt I was pleased!

Thanks for the input everyone.