close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Smith & Wesson M&P22 vs. Ruger SR22

Discussion in 'Rimfire Forum' started by TheSorb, May 19, 2012.

1. TheSorb

TheSorb

May 10, 2010
    I want a good, reliable .22LR auto. I've pretty much narrowed my choices down to these two pistols. Reliability, workmanship quality, field stripping/cleaning ease, and overall functionality are very important to me. I'd really appreciate it if you'd share your thoughts and experiences...thanks! :cool:

2. JaPes

JaPes Rimfire 1010101

Aug 21, 2010
    NW Burbs, IL
    I own a M&P 22. The biggest advantage of the M&P 22 is that it is the perfect training analog for a M&P full size. The exterior dimensions of the M&P 22 and my M&P 9fs are nearly indentical. If I owned a M&P 9fs w/frame safety, the exterior dimensions would be identical. The trigger pulls are very similar between the two.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Field strip of a M&P 22 is easy. Push out the retained take down pin on the frame. Pull the slide rearward while tilting just the rear up. Then push the slide off the fixed barrel. Clean & lube using your preferred method.

Because all .22lr semi-auto's can be finicky during break-in, I brought 300 rounds of CCI Mini-Mag with me. The M&P 22 cycled 100 rounds of CCI perfectly. I then switched to Winchester 555 bulk, 36gr, copper plated, hollow point. The M&P 22 cycled 300 rounds of the Winchester bulk without issue. Since then, I've finished off that Winchester bulk brick and a brick of Federal bulk.

In my hands, the M&P 22 achieves 2" groups at 30 ft, POA=POI out of the box. IMO, my Ruger MKIII has the inherent greater potential for out-of-the-box accuracy than the M&P 22. At the same 30ft distance with the same ammo, I can reliably hold 1" to .75" groups.

You're going to have to determine what your intended use & your expected performance, then put them into context of the M&P 22. The M&P 22 performs just fine for my intended use: training analog for the full size M&P and fun plinking.

My two gripes:

1. The M&P 22 is only issued with one magazine. Magazines are difficult to locate. I could not find one locally. The only online retailer that had M&P22 magazines in stock was S&W's online store. I should have bought two.

2. The M&P 22 has a front dot, rear notch sight set up. I prefer the 3-dot set up on the M&P full size. Since the M&P 22 has an aluminum slide, I am reticent to install a steel 2-dot sight from a M&P full size. S&W technicians informed me that S&W doesn't offer a 2-dot rear sight for the M&P 22.

My minor gripe is loading the magazines. I am accustomed to loading Ruger MKIII magazines with a McFadden Ultimate Clip Loader. Loading .22lr magazines by hand is irritatingly time consuming.

I don't own a Ruger SR22p. A fellow firearms enthusiast was generous enough to let me fire a magazine through hers. The SR22p has compact dimensions. It feels good in the hand. The DA trigger pull is long with a predictable break. The follow-up SA trigger pulls are light. Because I only too 10 shots, I can not comment on the SR22p's accuracy.

I prefer the S&W M&P 22 over the SR22p because of the S&W M&P 22's size. Again, the M&P 22 is the exact same size as the M&P 9fs.

To be honest, one of the reasons I was comfortable buying a M&P 22 is because I already own two Ruger MKIII's.

The Ruger MKIII is one of the most solid, reliable .22lr pistols with outstanding workmanship & quality. The Ruger MKIII also has lots of after-market support. While I do not have issues field stripping & reassembling a Ruger MKIII, I do acknowledge that not everyone finds process easy or simple.

If you want a reliable, good quality, outstanding workmanship, ease of field stripping & cleaning, and overall functionality get a Browning Buckmark. The Browning Buckmark is the equal of the Ruger MKIII, and is easier to field strip & reassemble.

If you do not already own a Ruger or Browning, get either one of these two first, then go get the M&P 22. I think you'll be happier in the long term this way.

Good luck with your choice!

Last edited: May 19, 2012

3. TheSorb

TheSorb

May 10, 2010
    Thanks JaPes...I appreciate the insight!

Today I checked out a Sig Mosquito at the local Sportsman's Warehouse. It certainly feels good in my hand. I guess now there's a third contender...any more thoughts or advice? :dunno:

4. JaPes

JaPes Rimfire 1010101

Aug 21, 2010
    NW Burbs, IL
    Stay away from the Sig Mosquito as if it could give you contact herpes.

I used to own one. It was a jam-o-matic. It went back to Sig twice, and it still never ran right.

Horrible sights, trigger, and quality. The zinc alloy slide alone isn't reassuring.

5. TheSorb

TheSorb

May 10, 2010
    And we're back to two...I NEED reliability! :dog:

6. JaPes

JaPes Rimfire 1010101

Aug 21, 2010
    NW Burbs, IL
    Do you already own a .22lr semi-auto pistol or will this be your 1st one?

7. bac1023

bac1023

Sep 26, 2004
    PA
    Don't even think about the Mosquito. Its a 3rd party gun and a real POS.

8. bac1023

bac1023

Sep 26, 2004
    PA
    The M&P and SR are much different. The Smith is nearly a full size gun.

9. JaPes

JaPes Rimfire 1010101

Aug 21, 2010
    NW Burbs, IL
    TheSorb.

It's easier to show you, so I shot these quick videos. I apologize for some of it being out of frame. Trying to field strip & reassemble a firearm while trying to look at a little LCD screen on a camera is not easy for me. I had a fan running and the camera mic picked up wind buffeting noise, so I used a random audio track.

S&W M&P 22 Basic Field Strip
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zx6WOtIzgJU"]Field strip and reassembly of a S&W M&P 22 pistol. - YouTube[/ame]

Ruger MKIII 22/45 RP Basic Field Strip
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwE5h4cWxME"]Ruger MLKIII 22/45 RP Basic Field Strip & Reassembly - YouTube[/ame]

10. TheSorb

TheSorb

May 10, 2010
    First one...

11. TSAX

TSAX USAF Vet

Jun 5, 2010
    Echoing the stay away from the Mosquito. Id say get the M&P 22

:50cal:

12. rcbif

rcbif Lock "N" Load!

Dec 6, 2010
    NE OH
    Then your back to the Ruger MK series and the browning buckmark. They have a proven track record and reliability whose overall design is based on the .22.

If you want a .22 that resembles a "real fullsize handgun" then get the Ruger 22/45. It's relatively new, but basically the same upper as the MK3. IMHO these new .22's that are made to look and operate like fullsize handguns just wont be as accurate and reliable as more original .22's as Japes has said.

As for the field stripping, yes, it's a bit of labor with the Ruger Mk and the browning buckmark requires removing screws, but most will only need cleaned past 2 bricks of ammo or more. Heck, I've read some people say they haven't disassembled their ruger in years, and just cleaned it from the outside.

Last edited: May 20, 2012
  13. TheSorb

TheSorb

May 10, 2010
    Hey JaPes...

Thank you SO MUCH for the videos...I REALLY appreciate your assistance in making this decision! :yourock:

And thanks to everyone else too! :rock:

14. guncats

guncats

Apr 10, 2012
    the buckmark will last forever, easy to clean and very accurate.

SR22's grip is super small, great for kids but since you are the one buying I suppose you are not a kid....:whistling:

M&P is made by the same company that makes GSG1911, quality is pretty good but IMO wo't be as durable as the Browning and Ruger.

15. JaPes

JaPes Rimfire 1010101

Aug 21, 2010
    NW Burbs, IL
    ^^^ THIS.

While I love my M&P 22, there are a few people out there who report issues. This being the internet, I don't know if the problem lies with the gun or the nut behind the trigger. Most of the time, it's the nut behind the trigger.

The Ruger MK series & the Browning Buckmark have proven themselves over the years. You can't get that with a M&P 22.

16. JaPes

JaPes Rimfire 1010101

Aug 21, 2010
    NW Burbs, IL
    You're welcome. Keep us posted on what you decide to purchase.

Ruger, Buckmark, M&P 22 ... you really can't go wrong. Just stay away from the mosquito.

17. TheSorb

TheSorb

May 10, 2010
    Well...I made my decision and chose the Ruger SR22. In the end, the fact that this pistol is actually made by Ruger, and - at least so far - has a reputation of reliability with nearly any ammo, were the deciding factors for me.
    :snoopy:

Now the dreaded 10-day waiting period begins (damn Kalifornia!) :brickwall:

Here are some pictures of my latest acquisition:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 2, 2012
  18. racer88

racer88 NRA & SAF mbr

Oct 14, 2009
    Congrats! I love my SR22.

Sucks that you have to wait. Here in Florida, with my CCW, I get to walk out with my new acquisition right away. Not to rub it in, or nothin'! :whistling:

Last edited: Jun 2, 2012
  19. TSAX

TSAX USAF Vet

Jun 5, 2010
    :steamed: I once bought 3 new guns and had to wait 70 (10, 40, 70) total days for all 3 to be in my hands.

:50cal: