close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Smith & Wesson Ammunition>? Years Of Production>?

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by ULVER, Dec 9, 2011.

1. ULVER

ULVER Dixie Rebel

Jan 8, 2001
    ATL., GA. USA
    Had a pal tell me he still had a box of S&W ammo in his safe. I remember it well, but really couldn't give him a history.

Did S&W give it a go in the 80's? :dunno:

I also recall a S&W shotgun. Seems like they were trying to spread their wings, but just didn't get things right.

2. Merkavaboy

Merkavaboy Code-7A KUZ769

The S&W ammo line started around 1971 and was discontinued around 1983. The line of ammo included handgun, rifle, shotgun and .22 Rimfire calibers.

S&W was also the originator of the Nyclad brand nylon coated lead bulleted ammo in 9x19mm, .38Spl and .357Mag calibers.

3. ULVER

ULVER Dixie Rebel

Jan 8, 2001
    ATL., GA. USA
    Thanks Merk! :supergrin: I didn't remember S&W starting the ammo line that early! Those were Super Vel years too, yes? :dunno:

4. Merkavaboy

Merkavaboy Code-7A KUZ769

My earliest S&W price sheet starts in 1971 and latest is 1981.

Over the years S&W marketed in total nearly:

40 centerfire handgun loads (including Nyclads) in calibers ,25Auto, .32Auto, .32 S&W, .380, 9mm, 38Spl, 357Mag, 44Mag & .45ACP.

25+ shotshell loads in .410. 20, 16 & 12 gauges.

10 centerfire rifle loads (2 each) in 243Win, 270Win, 30-30Win, 308Win & 30-06Sprg.

6 .22 rimfire loads (2 each) in .22 Blank, .22Short & .22LR.

Cartridge brass was provided by numerous sources including C.I.L. and IVI of Canada, and Amron, Federal, Olin & Starline here in the U.S.

The .22 rimfire ammo was made by Aguila of Mexico.

5. banger

banger

Nov 8, 2005
    Where evil lives

I can add without a doubt, some was provided by Fiocchi if Italy.

Actually, I liked the Smith and Wesson line of ammo, it was HOT, reliable and accurate.