close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Smith experts, 3rd gen auto hammer question

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by JoeCitizen, Mar 21, 2012.

1. JoeCitizen

JoeCitizen

Nov 16, 2009
    For the Smith knowledgeable out there.

A while back I picked up a 6906 in great shape. It's got the bobbed hammer with grooves on top to aid in manually cocking the hammer if so desired. Works great. I came across a 4013TSW a couple days ago also with a bobbed hammer but the hammer is smooth on top. Question is can a gunsmith acquire a conventional spurred hammer (as used on other s&w 3rd gens) or a bobbed hammer with grooves and replace the smooth hammer on the afore mentioned 4013?

2. Bruce M

Bruce M

Jan 3, 2010
    S FL
    I would guess a reasonably good gunsmith could at least improvise something or perhaps spend a bit of a time with a file or some equivilant powered device and cut some grooves into a hammer that will fit.

3. Dave.1

Dave.1

Dec 12, 2009
    Colorado
    Looks like you can get a bobbed one from Brownells for 42.30 part #25 on the schematic.
    http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=0/sid=459/schematicsdetail/4013-TSW

You'd probably have to call to make sure it's got the grooves. All of the bobbed factory hammers I've seen have the grooves. Then, if you aren't comfortable doing it yourself, you could find a local smith to do it for you.

Dave

4. Bullman

Bullman Deranged Deputy

Oct 11, 2003
    SW Virginia
    I believe I have read over on the smith and wesson forum where people have fitted 5906 spurred hammers to 6906 pistols with bobbed hammers. You can probably find someone over there that can tell you how it is done.

http://smith-wessonforum.com/forum.php

If you are not a member there and don't wish to become one, let me know and I will ask or do a search for a thread with info.

5. Dave.1

Dave.1

Dec 12, 2009
    Colorado