close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Smith and Wesson M&P Compact Impressions

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by JDSilva87, May 26, 2011.

1. JDSilva87

JDSilva87

Apr 23, 2011
    New Olreans, LA
    Earlier this week when I went to my local gun store I wanted to hold a M&P before I bought my glock. I heard that once you hold one you wont buy a glock. The only one they had was a M&P40c in the case. So I held it.

Honestly for whatever reason it just didn't seem to fit right in my hands. It felt really really blocky. Thats funny to me because everyone online says that glocks feel blocky. I've never shot an M&P and wish I could have. A lot of gun stores in my area have stopped carrying them though. Academy sports have stopped carrying them because they said they rarely sell one. My range doesn't rent them either.

I could have gotten one for $480 brand new but decided with a glock 26 instead. I like glocks. I have shot a couple of them and they just feel rock solid in your hand. Not only that but to me they just feel "right" in my hand. They point well and shoot well.

After I got home I've been holding my G26 and been pointing it around (unloaded of course). It feels so natural in my hands. I don't know if I'm weird because everything i've read online has been the exact opposite.

What do you all think?

2. bluejackets92fs

bluejackets92fs I have bad aim

Oct 23, 2010
    SW Ohio
    M&P's are great guns. I love my 26 for carry but my next gun is going to be a full size 9mm M&P. Can't go wrong with either in my book.

3. HotRoderX

HotRoderX Gen4 BETATester

Jan 15, 2011
    Feel wise I prefer the full size M&P 9mm to my Glock 17. I never shot the M&P thought but I will admit I am a huge Smith and Wesson revolver fan so my opinion might be biest.

4. huskerbuttons

huskerbuttons

Jan 25, 2008
    SW Ohio
    Whatever works BEST for YOU is the gun to have. I didn't like my M&P9C, the grip was to short for me. No matter what I try, I always seem to go back to my G-19 or my G-23.

5. JBP55

JBP55

Mar 4, 2007
    Louisiana
    We have all the guns you want to try between New Orleans/Slidell/Baton Rouge.
    PM sent.

6. Gdirty5

Gdirty5

Apr 9, 2008
    Louisiana
    I have a few of the "big three" xd, glock, and M&P's. Stock, I think the Xd has the better trigger, but after mods, M&P>Glock>XD. You can't go wrong with either, everyone has a personal preference, I prefer the trigger on my M&P with apex parts over my brother's glock with 3.5# trigger bar, but he feels the opposite. My XD is stock, and I like it just the way it is.

7. mixflip

mixflip

Mar 4, 2009
    I carry a G26 7 days a week and I own a full size M&P40 for home defense/SHTF/range....I love them both. The G26 fits me perfect for CCW and the M&P40 fits me perfect for carry. I have found what works for me personally and I suggest that everyone just buy what fits thier needs and not be so focused on brand names. What works for me most often wont work for the next person.

Last edited: May 26, 2011
  8. Mixednuts

Mixednuts

Apr 9, 2011
    Willis, TX
    You should try your XD with the PRP Ultimate Match trigger kit. I have it on my XDm and the difference is literally like night and day.

9. Gdirty5

Gdirty5

Apr 9, 2008
    Louisiana
    I may have to try that, b/c I have a xd9sc that I have roughly 7k rounds through, and it shoot soo darn sweet, yet I have a xd45 service that I can't shoot for crap, but only have about 200 rounds through. I dunno If I should just shoot it more, send it in for a trigger job, or sell it... The main reason I bought the xd45 was for a suppressor host, but while waiting for my suppressor to be approved I bought a few threaded HK's.

10. kasper7106

kasper7106

Dec 10, 2010
    central ohio
    I currently have 3 glocks and an M&P40c and M&P40 full size. I personally like the glocks better than any of the polymer guns but the M&P's are a close 2nd

11. hogship

hogship Patriot Extraordinaire

Dec 30, 2004
    Northwest territory
    Individual taste......it's what makes each of us choose, and if Glocks were the universal choice, nothing else would exist!

I had the G26 and MP9c in my hands the day I bought the M&P......could have gone either way, but the Smith was the better choice for me.

hog

[​IMG]

12. AustinTx

AustinTx

Aug 16, 2006
    Tx
    You're the only one that it needs to "feel good" to. Just because you like the Glock grip, doesn't mean you're abnormal.

13. RMTactical

RMTactical www.AR15pro.net CLM

Oct 7, 2000
    Behind an AR-15
  14. fastbolt

fastbolt

Jun 9, 2002
    CA Central Coast
    Personal preference is personal preference. Do whatever suits you.

I have a M&P 40c & a G27 9and a couple of G26's). I find the large grip insert on the M&P 40c makes it feel remarkable similar to the G27, in my hands. I use the smallest insert on the 40c. It feels very close to my SW999c (with the larger of its 2 backstrap inserts).

Now, during the process of determining which grip insert suited me best on the 9c, and on my full-size M&P 45, I noticed that the insert/grip frame combination which seemed to "feel the best" while just handling the guns didn't necessarily "feel the best" under live-fire. I was looking for recoil management, controllability and the ability to accurately direct the gun during rapid shot strings.

For the 40c that meant that while the large & medium inserts "felt the best" when handling the gun, I did my best shooting with the smallest insert (while trying the inserts over the course of a couple of thousand rounds). For the 45 I ended up using the smallest insert, as well, which gave it a very similar "feel" to my 1911's fitted with flat MSH's, even though the medium insert "felt the best".

In my case, the inserts which seemed to "feel the best" during handling didn't offer me the same advantages during actual live-fire. I went with what worked best under live-fire conditions for accuracy, controllability, overall balance and a "lively" feel.

On a side note, my triggers both smoothed out & lightened up as I fired the guns. My M&P 45 went from averaged trigger strokes of 8 1/2 - 9lbs to between 5 1/2 - 6lbs after a couple of thousand rounds. I can't remember checking the 40c with my digital scale after the first 1,000 rounds, but it certainly felt as though it had become lighter and smoother.

I remember shooting the 40c alongside my G27 recently and feeling the trigger on the 40c was noticeably lighter and smoother than the G27.

Both of my M&P's are stock, BTW. I've helped some of the other guys with Apex parts in their own M&P 9's & 45's, but I just haven't felt the need to use the parts in my own guns.

I've also noticed that the newer production M&P's I've handled and shot have seemed to come with better triggers than my '08 & '09 production guns.

FWIW, I do like that the M&P trigger has the curved trigger, but then I'm along time revolver user and shooter. I never really cared for the weirdly downward sloped Glock trigger. It makes for a weird leverage position, and I've often noticed that it seems to make some folks drop their fingers down to the bottom of the trigger.

Being an armorer for the M&P series (as well as an armorer for the 99 & Glock series), I find many features of the M&P to be interesting and advantageous. I'm seriously considering picking up a M&P 45c to complement my full-size model.

15. I will always be a Glock fan; my G21 is my favorite pistol I own. Having said that and after shooting them side by side I find myself liking better and shooting better the M&P9 over my G17. It's a feel thing and I do believe the Glock is probably the superior weapon (it just feels sturdier) I believe the M&P is probably more for me at least in the 9mm area. I have the large palm swell on it plus a Hogue slip on grip sleeve and it's like shaking hands with an angel! I can still shoot my G17 great but have to have the Hogue sleeve on it, too...without it I feel like my support hand keeps slipping off of the gun.

16. fastbolt

fastbolt

Jun 9, 2002
    CA Central Coast
    I wouldn't necessarily write off the M&P as "less sturdy".

For example, the frame is Zytel plastic, and it contains a pair of through-hardened stainless steel (blackened) straps which act as a sub-chassis. They lend strength to the frame.

The locking block & sear housing block contain the frame rails (instead of a fixture molded into the frame), so they can be easily replaced in the event one breaks (instead of having to replace the entire frame because of a broken frame rail). The sear housing block is steel, too.

The use of coil pins which are driven into the frame's steel sub-chassis means less stress being delivered to the plastic frame. The forces are acting on the steel-to-steel contact (pins to sub-chassis).

The slide has thickly machined rails and the front dust cover (or guide ring, if you'd rather) is thicker and stronger than that on the Glock slide. You'd probably have to stand around a cleaning table and watch someone drop a slide onto a hard floor surface to really appreciate the increased strength of the M&P slide, though. ;)

The extractor on the M&P has a very tall and robust hook. We were told in the armorer class that while they still aren't going to be teaching anyone to load a barrel chamber other than from a magazine, that the front leading shoulder of the M&P extractor was designed to better tolerate the extractor having to run up and over the case rim in the event of a failure-to-extract situation.

All things considered, the M&P incorporates some interesting and advantageous improvements in the general plastic service pistol field.

They've certainly had the chance to learn some lessons from their first 5 years of production, too (released Jan '06). The S&W engineers have been busy making subtle improvements and changes since the beginning, and have been reacting to customer feedback pretty quickly.

17. Z71bill

Z71bill

Feb 19, 2007
    Texas
    Which of the three sizes of back straps did the M&P have installed at the time you held it?

I will guess - if it felt larger than a Glock you had the large back strap.

I like both brands -

When bought my first M&P the small back strap felt better - so that is what I used -

After a while I switched over to the medium - and even though it did not feel as nice (at first) - my accuracy improved.

18. If I go back to 45s, I'll go to the M&P (full size and compact) over the G21 and G30/g36. M&Ps simply look and feel better to me. But as it is, I'm into .40 at the moment and my G23 and G27 with G22 and G23 mags & sleeves are the answer. Having swapped back and forth between M&Ps and Glocks plenty, I can't tell a difference in recoil management. The other advantages the Glocks had were in weight and capacity which is what matters most to me.

19. DonGlock26

DonGlock26

Jan 18, 2001
    I have both, and you will be happy with the M&P/G-26 combo. The G-26 is smaller than the M&Pc, and the M&P 9mm FS has a better feeling grip than the venerable G-17- IMHO.

_

20. cfr

cfr

Feb 24, 2010
    PHX
    I have a Hogue grip on my Gen4 22 (no backstraps). I felt an M&P (not sure which backstrap) in the LGS the other day, and found they felt very similar.

Without a Hogue, Im ready to sell my 22.