Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Connect with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Read up on the latest product reviews
  • Make new friends to go shooting with!
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

Glock Talk is the #1 site to discuss the world’s most popular pistol, chat about firearms, accessories and more.

Smith 686 "super tuned"

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by Diesel McBadass, Mar 19, 2012.

1. Diesel McBadass

Diesel McBadass Tactically Epic

Apr 15, 2011
    Dover NH
    See a lot of super tuned in stock lately, what is this, is the tuning worth the extra price? What exactly do they do to it?
  2. 3rdgen40

3rdgen40 .45 fanatic

May 3, 2008
    They super tune it.....:supergrin:

3. barth

barth six barrels

Oct 7, 2011
    The Free Zone
    Just guessing, but that usually means a trigger job.
    Tuning the action...

I have three S&W revolvers and they all have the trigger action polished and cleaned up.
    Sometimes reduced power springs are used too.
    Smiths have good DA triggers out of the box.
    But they can really sing with a quality trigger job on them.
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2012
  4. JBnTX

JBnTX Bible Thumper

Aug 28, 2008
    Fort Worth Texas
    I bet it has "all natural" components too.:rofl:
  5. bac1023

Sep 26, 2004
    Give me an older pre-lock 686 anyday over that nonsense.

6. Zombie Steve

Zombie Steve Decap Pin Killa

May 31, 2007
    Old Colorado City
    My 686 went back to Smith after a sear engagement issue. While it was there, I had them send it to the performance center for what they now call a master revolver action package. I talked to Vito and asked him to recess the crown, as I'd dinged it up in an open-bottom holster when I slid down the side of Mt. Antero :embarassed:.

Well, the crown recess was effective, but horrible looking. Basically, he put it on a drill press for a second. :upeyes:

As far as the tune up, it now has the nicest single action and double action I've ever felt on a revolver. It went from a good trigger to an amazing trigger. The double action is the real kicker. Once you feel what it's supposed to be like, it will ruin everything else for you.

Read about what they do here.

Worth it? Yes, but it used to be cheaper when I had it done. It's not like it has to go to Smith to get this done, I just had a warranty issue and had them do it while it was there.
  7. jwhite75

jwhite75 Gubmint Worker

Jan 6, 2009
    Dub V
    The fact that the super tuned 686 was recently discontinued might have something to do with the stock available.
  8. ronin.45

Apr 24, 2008
    I've never felt a really good action job from the performance center(I'm talking about PC guns not guns sent in for work). A competent local revolver smith should be able to get it smoother and lighter. I don't know if S&W is worried about making it too light or what, but I've never been really pleased with PC triggers.
  9. Diesel McBadass

Diesel McBadass Tactically Epic

Apr 15, 2011
    Dover NH
    So consensus is a 686 p is a better buy and just have it tuned later if needed?
  10. Jason D

Jason D INFRINGED Silver Member Millennium Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Mivonks, MI
    My Brother in law has a 686 that is purportedly super tuned.
    I will admit the action is nice, but not nearly as nice as my 686.

Mine on the other hand has a 14 pound rebound spring installed, and has been shot a lot.