Smith 624

Discussion in 'Smith & Wesson Club' started by BamaTrooper, Feb 16, 2013.

1. BamaTrooper

BamaTrooper Almost Done

So I have an opportunity to pick up a 3" 624. Gun is used of course, but I think the finish will polish up nicely and the grips can be replaced.

I've never had a .44 Special and think it can be a nice addition to my N frames (4" nickel 57 and 6 1/2" 25). So, what says the experienced amongst you? Is $450 too much?

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. I would be all over a 3" 624 at that price and a lot higher if it were n older pre lock. But lock or not that is a great price.

3. BamaTrooper

BamaTrooper Almost Done

Oh it's prelock, 1986 or so I think.

4. I'd be all over that. In a heartbeat.

5. That is as close to my 'Dream gun" for up in the woods as there is from a factory.

6. BamaTrooper

BamaTrooper Almost Done

My only concern was whether it falls in the range of the ones recalled for bad metal in the cylinders.

I think I can get a blued cylinder if need be. Could you cut a 44 mag cylinder back to .44 special length?

7. BamaTrooper

BamaTrooper Almost Done

OK, it is mine. 450 and tax. The previous owner put polyurethane or something on the grips WHILE THEY WERE ON THE GUN and covered the grip screw and grip screw hole area. I had to use my knife point to clear it out so I could remove the screw. Then I had to use a razor to cut between grip panels to pry them off.

Gun has been in a file cabinet for 6 years with no attention so a good cleaning is in order. After that, buff a shine onto the outside and find better grips.

When it is presentable, I will try to post a picture.

I think I am the only "kid" on the block with a .41mag and a .44 Special.

8. BamaTrooper

BamaTrooper Almost Done

Good news...my gun was made after the recall, so all it needs is a little TLC and a set of grips.

9. Poohgyrr

Poohgyrr trout fear me!

Sounds like an excellent buy. That should be real fun piece there, congrats! The 44 Special is awesome to handload for, and there may not be many factory loads out there but there are enough. That should be a real sweet Smith you have there.

10. I would put a pair of Hogue N-frame grips on that find and head to the woods. Buffalo Bore 44 Special ammo and you are all set.