close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

smelly under armor shirts

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by JML2365, Aug 22, 2011.

1. JML2365

JML2365

Oct 13, 2008
    SE MN
    I am looking for suggestions on how to get the sweat smell out of my under armor shirts. I have been wearing them under my vest for years. I have some Under armor that is 5+ years old. The smell isn't bad enough for others to smell. My wife can't smell it unless she puts her nose right next to the shirt but I can smell it after wearing the shirt for a few minutes. No matter how many times I wash them it is still there. I have tried soaking them in Oxiclean for a day and it didn't help. They are black so bleach isn't an option. It's probably time to just buy new shirts. I wash my vest carrier regularly and use Fabreeze everyday when I take it off. Any suggestions?

2. FiremanMike

FiremanMike Way too busy

Jul 26, 2007
    The interwebs
    Either

A) get new shirts
    B) accept the fact that no matter how much you clean them, your vest and under armor WILL stink approximately 10 minutes after putting them back on.

:)

3. LilCop2002

LilCop2002

Jul 13, 2005
    Bubba,

That stench is there to stay. As meticulous as I am in being clean, mine always smelled bad. It was so bad that I took mine out of the dryer one day and just threw it away.

What I ended up doing was going to Walmart and buying some of the knockoff ones that I didn't have a problem throwing away when it was time.

LC

4. FiremanMike

FiremanMike Way too busy

Jul 26, 2007
    The interwebs
    An excellent point, I stopped buying under armor brand long ago.

5. Big House

Big House Biggest member

Sep 22, 2009
    Oklahoma
    After washing try soaking them in baking soda and water solution, then rewash then.

6. Mayhem like Me

Mayhem like Me Semper Paratus

Mar 13, 2001
    Not a chance
    Wash them all together in HOT with two full cups of beach... It will work it kills the funk.

Trust me the black does not matter add the bleach and detergent to the water then put in the shirts if they are the nylon type the color does not run I do this once a month..

Last edited: Aug 22, 2011
  7. I'm glad I'm not the only one who sweats like a hooker in a Sunday Baptist service.

Bleach was also recommended to me.

8. collim1

collim1 Shower Time!

Mar 14, 2005
    USA
    Cotton shirts seem to not retain the funk as bad. I wear cotton v-necks and wash them in warm water with plenty of detergent and oxyclean. They come out smelling alot better than under armour shirts I have.

I still wear the under armour when I know i'll be working an outside detail in the heat.

My vest carrier is another story, it always smells like troll crotch no matter what I do to it. Lucky for me I am getting a new vest soon, I got fitted last week.

9. nitesite10mm

nitesite10mm Dog Lover

Jun 9, 2006
    North Alabama
    Underarmor is 100% Polyester, no?

Some bleach won't fade the color like it would if it was cotton or wool.

Look into some Sham-Wow! sheets cut to your vest panels outline, and then worn inside your carrier between you and the Kevlar. They absorb a lot of perspiration and can easily be washed along with your carrier. Just make sure to line-dry the Sham-Wow! and not place it in the drier.

My panels don't have the slightest hint of odor (attributed to using Sham-Wow!) and I live and work in a really HOT and HUMID climate. Fabreeze doesn't come close to what this method delivers.

10. Roadkill_751

Roadkill_751 5 or 6 rounds?

Aug 29, 2005
    North Georgia
    You can use all of the bleach in the world, and we still can smell you before we see you....:tongueout::rofl:

11. TheJ

TheJ NRA Life Member Lifetime Member

Jan 24, 2011
    GA
    Au contraire mon fraire.

This.

Just use a water diluted or weak bleach solution. I do this regularly on especially funk prone items. It will kill the funk but won't destroy your garment. Yes over time it will cause more wear on the garment but IMHO that is a more than fair trade off for being funk free.

12. Javelin

Javelin Got Glock? Silver Member

Feb 9, 2008
    N. Dallas
    Oxy-Clean & hot water wash w/ a little bit of vinegar in a separate wash (not together) worked for mine when I got back from Iraq and had to wash all of my nasty stuff.

:wavey:

EDIT: Just don't mix Oxyclean and Vinegar as they will cancel each other out as they act differently (one is an acid and one is a alkali based solvent).

13. ray9898

ray9898

May 29, 2001
    Georgia
    I have used a vinegar wash if there was a noticeable smell but normally simple detergent with Oxy Clean does the job. As above, bleach also does great.

14. I noticed Fabreeze mentioned a couple of times, DO NOT PUT FABREEZE ON THE ARMOR PACKAGE. Fabreeze is bleach based and along with other chems in will accellerate the degrading of the ballistic materials.

It is not as big an issue with NIJ .06 certified packages because of the waterproofing requirements, but I would still avoid it.

Galls sells Vestguard which seems to work well. Also, google Tactical Odor Eliminator, it works as well. And it has tactical in the name so it must be good, right? Lol. I have used both, like both, currently using Vest Guard.

15. Mayhem like Me

Mayhem like Me Semper Paratus

Mar 13, 2001
    Not a chance
    I cast my manly musk about...do not be threatened.. :supergrin:

16. I had the same problem with my jiu jitsu gi's and rash guards. I washed them in white vinager worked great.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

17. USMCSGT ARMYMP OHLEO

USMCSGT ARMYMP OHLEO

Jan 14, 2011
    Ohio
    I use Oxy and bleach on mine I have a types under armor, walmart brand(Starter), and Nike all in black or dark blue never had a problem......and vest I use Vestguard from Galls as mentioned above!

18. Free hooker slaps with every panel sold . . . :)

19. snichols28

snichols28

Dec 4, 2009
    Colorado
    White vinegar in the wash works wonders! I use it in almost every load of laundry. It does a pretty good job of softening clothes too. Not sure why and how but it does!

20. Detectorist

Detectorist

Jul 16, 2008
    Missouri
    Also, rub Milk of Magnesia on the parts of your body which come in contact with your vest. It eliminates 80% of the sweating. Good for your feet, too.