Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Reason #1
  • Reason #2
  • Reason #3

Site Description

Smartphone apps for BLS

Discussion in 'Firefighter/EMS Talk' started by golls17, Feb 28, 2013.

1. golls17

golls17 Lifetime Newbie

Feb 3, 2009
    What's worth the money? I'm finishing orientation this month for both my Volunteer FD as well as a private ambulance company. We talked about smartphone applications today during lunch, but our instructor knows they're a great tool but wasn't able to recommend them on account of being old school and just knowing stuff by memory.

I don't want to waste money on a crap program, but would spend some money for a good one.

Mainly I'm thinking meds, something that has both trade names and generic for when a Pt gives me a shoebox of pill bottles and says, "Doc tells me to take these."
  2. I don't know of how much use it would be to be honest. The military combat medical manuals are free and available for all the smartphones. What is really lacking is a decent ICE app.
    Meds, conditions, drugs, contacts medical devices ( pacemaker and battery date inserted) allergies etc.

Maybe a page or tab for basic CPR rates (infant , child adult)

3. RyanNREMTP

RyanNREMTP Inactive/Banned

Jun 16, 2007
    Waco, Texas
    I only do free apps but here is what I have had or currently use:

Epocrates is a must have. Great for looking up drugs.
    Notepad: Great for premise histories like gate codes or violent patients.

I've also had apps for contraction timer and a pregnancy wheel.

You can be surprised what you can find for free apps. It's only a matter of sorting through them to find ones that work for you.
  4. DGreno

DGreno FF/Paramedic Silver Member

Nov 16, 2007
    Savannah, GA
    For EMS:
    Informed apps - BLS is good, you can also get the ALS ones too
    Glasgow Coma Scale

Another useful one is Metric Converter

I also always recommend 911 toolkit for FD & EMS personnel. Its a great app too for everything including HazMat, EMS, quizzes, hydraulics, and water delivery.