close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Small Pistol Primer question

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by mossy500camo, Jan 12, 2010.

1. mossy500camo

mossy500camo
    Expand Collapse
    ammo found

Where in the Heck are you guys finding them? Info please!

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. ron59

ron59
    Expand Collapse
    Bustin Caps

Shooting small pistol MAGNUMS... will work fine in any of your loads. I'm using them with my 9mm stuff.

CCI it seems is largely producing the MAGNUMS, at least they are way more prevalent.

I've received two separate orders from Powder Valley in the past 6 months. I order 10,000 at a time. If they list it on the site (even as backordered), they'll accept the order and ship as it comes in. I must have hit it lucky last time (October?), as they were listed as backordered, I placed my order and had them in my hands one week later.

Ordered 10,000 at a time, that comes out to $26 - $27 per 1000, a price that can't be beat these days.

My stores around here carry them, but for $3.99 per 100... no way I'm paying $40.00 per 1000. If I was totally out of primers I might buy a few to hold me over... but I wouldn't be "stocking up" at that price.

Actually, I just checked, and currently they're even listing SPP (non-magnums) on the website, something they haven't been doing for awhile. So they must be anticipating a shipment or something.

Place an online order, wait until it shows up, and start cranking.

#2 ron59, Jan 12, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2010
  3. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak
    Expand Collapse
    KO Windows

Wideners had Wolf SPP in stock forever. They still have some LPP in stock

Grafs I believe has small pistol primers in stock.

Earlier this month, Natchezss had Federal SPP in stock

You just have to watch.

IGF

4. DoctaGlockta

DoctaGlockta
    Expand Collapse

I recently got some (5K) at Powder Valley a couple of weeks ago.

5. chris in va

chris in va
    Expand Collapse

Down the road about 10 miles. Plenty in stock.

6. ron59

ron59
    Expand Collapse
    Bustin Caps

At $3.99 or higher?

I've not heard of ANY reports of retail stores selling for less than $3.99. That is an unacceptable price for me.

I'd much rather put an online order in and wait a bit. Primers is one place where you really need to order in bulk to start realizing the cost savings associated with reloading.

I say that, as powder is still readily available, and bullet prices didn't go up much, if at all.

7. shotgunred

shotgunred
    Expand Collapse
    reloading nut

The shop down the road sells them for $34 a K. All I want in stock.

8. robin303

robin303
    Expand Collapse
    Helicopter Nut

I got 2000 PMC from Wideners and got them in about a week.

9. dudel

dudel
    Expand Collapse

Four local stores have them. Not always the brand I want; but they've had them all along.

10. mnhogrider

mnhogrider
    Expand Collapse

The local Gander Mountain here has CCI large and small pistol primers in stock.

$49.00/K.

$20.00 gouge fee must be added in.

11. dudel

dudel
    Expand Collapse

Not here. $29+tax / thousand for CCI and Magtech. Remington's were a little more; but NEVER $39/thousand (unless you were crazy enough to buy at a gun show!)

Prices here have been stable over the last year. When I buy a brick of primers, I slip the reciept in the box. That helps me keep track of prices that I plug into my load records.

Don

12. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel
    Expand Collapse

They are about 30-32 per box here. Last I looked. I just got lucky with a 20K of CCI at $25 per 1K delivered. I'm looking at them right now. Very pretty. Sit taller then my 8lb of Powder.

13. str8tshooter

str8tshooter
    Expand Collapse

Tagged for primer sources. Thanks, Guys, I appreciate the resources, as I am getting a Lee Classic turret Press in February, and starting my reloading adventures. What advice do you have for a newbie. Somebody mentioned keeping receipts for records/data. What do you mean by that/ Do you keep records of everything, and if so, in what format. What info goes in there? Thanks for any help you offer.

14. robin303

robin303
    Expand Collapse
    Helicopter Nut

15. dudel

dudel
    Expand Collapse

I wrote some software that keeps my load library, prints my box labels, and calculates my cost per round and cost/100. To calculate costs, I enter in the cost of the can of powder, primers, projectiles (and cases if they are bought new). It was done more as an excercise, but being web based, I can access it (except for printing) from my smart phone while I'm at the bench. It also has a library of targets to print suitable for the caliber.

I plan to add an inventory function so I can see what I'm running low of. From the store, I can see that I have 1/4 can of Bullseye left, so it's time to pick up a replacement can. Calculations are easy, because it knows how many grains go into a load, and how many I've loaded of each. Combine that with 7000 grains to a pound, and the rest is easy. It will also tell me how many of which primers I have left, so I don't stock up on ones that I have enough of.

I may add a balistics calculator as well, so that at the range, off my phone, I know how much drop to set into the scope.

I may also add chrono data with the load, some additional casting info, save target images with the load data, etc. It's a never ending project that if allowed, could take away from shooting time.

Don

16. dudel

dudel
    Expand Collapse

Best advise would be to read up before you buy any equipment. ABC's of reloading is a very good starting point. I wouldn't buy a single piece of equipment until you read the book (twice). You will be much better informed as to what to buy, and in what order to buy it. Some stuff is essential for your first round, other stuff is nice to have, other stuff may be useless (depending on what you load).

Don

17. DEADLYACCURATE

DEADLYACCURATE
    Expand Collapse

so are they 49 or 69

18. dudel

dudel
    Expand Collapse

Only if one insists on paying that much. :upeyes:

19. GioaJack

GioaJack
    Expand Collapse
    Conifer Jack

What's the word I'm looking for... damn, it's on the tip of my tongue... what is it, what is it... oh yeah...

GEEK!

Jack

20. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel
    Expand Collapse

Best advice I got.

1 Keep it simple. Start with one caliber. Learn on that first.
    2 Get a powder you know will work. Unique, 231, TiteGroup etc. Depending on what you want to do and caliber.
    3 Buy in bulk. By 80lbs of bullets, buy at least 10K primers, Buy 1 lb of powder but consider getting 8lbs with your primer order. As long as it's a common powder that many people recommend you will use it all. Might as well save money.
    4 Start with Jacketed bullets. Precision Delta, Montana Gold, Zero.
    5 Get a freaking case gauge for crying out loud as well.

Start hunting for primers now. Keep checking Powder Valley and others regularly. Pounce on any chance to get 10K and your powder.