close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Small Pistol Magnum Primers

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by stumpjumper, Jan 19, 2010.

1. stumpjumper

stumpjumper

Feb 5, 2007
    Georgia
    I just noticed that I have some magnum primers mixed in with my "regular" primers and have loaded some 9mm with them(300 rounds). The load is 4.4 Titegroup,115 fmj, 1.125" OAL. I have "searched" and have gotten mixed opinions. If I shoot them out of a full size 9mm, will I be OK?

2. stumpjumper

stumpjumper

Feb 5, 2007
    Georgia
    To answer my own question, I just got back from the range and didn't have any problems.

3. 2alphas

2alphas

Dec 11, 2008
    Arizona
    I had a similar experience only with 40 S&W. I normally use Standard Small Pistol primers, 3.8-4.0 grn Titegroup w/a 180 LRN Moly bb. Functions well for weekly matches that do not require 165+ power factor to make Major (at real matches I use 4.7 Titegroup yielding around 168-170 PF). Getting back to the Magnum primers, I just dumbed down the powder charge to 3.4 grn Titegroup and the rounds worked fine. I didn't chrono them, but recoil felt the same as the 3.8 loads. If I actually worried about this, I would contact Olin Corp (maker of the Winchester primers I use) and see what they would have to say. One observation though, Winchesters' LARGE pistol primers box states "For STANDARD or MAGNUM pistol loads". I figure if it didn't matter for the larger bb's (45 ACP), it shouldn't for the 'lil' guys'. Hope this helps.

4. GioaJack

GioaJack Conifer Jack

Apr 14, 2009
    Conifer, CO

Actually it's the other way around. The .45 is a relatively low pressure round with quite a bit of leeway when it comes to pressure concerns.

9 mm, .40 cal and 10 mm pose more potential pressure concerns than does the .45. A general rule of thumb is to reduce your loading by 10% when using magnum primers if you're anywhere near max. If you're at or near a starting load magnum primers are really a moot point.

You are correct about Winchester... they stopped marketing separate standard and magnum primers years ago.

Happy shooting.

Jack

5. stumpjumper

stumpjumper

Feb 5, 2007
    Georgia
    Thanks for the info. I believe that at 4.4, I'm under the max (4.8)The rounds shot fine, but didn't come to any factory loads.