close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Small Mistakes, Major Consequences

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Deanster, Feb 19, 2012.

1. Deanster

Deanster Cheese? Millennium Member CLM

The thread on the sinking 200' yacht reminded me of something I saw about 20 years ago working on a tour boat, where a 50' motor yacht pulled away from the Blake Island Marina (near Seattle, WA), and one of the family members who was handling lines set a coiled nylon 3/4" line attached to a cleat on the stern rail.

I watched from shore as the line slipped off the railing and dangled in the water. It was fine, until the captain/owner reversed the prop on that side to negotiate the turn out of the marina, which pulled the line into the prop, pulling the line tight... and then, just like a winch, pulled the prop and shaft far enough to the side to flood the boat.

They got it back to the dock, got all 7 pax off, plus the dogs, cats, birds, but even with a gas-powered crash pump from our boat trying to slow things down, $200K+ (at that time) of yacht was on the bottom of the marina in less than 10 minutes. Coast Guard, State Rangers, County Sheriff, EPA, etc. all got involved, boat had to be raised and removed, big fines for (what seemed like a trivial amount) of oil/fuel released, etc.

If the person handling that line had just hung it on the provided hook, 6 inches from where they set it down, there'd have been no problem at all.

Small Mistake, Major Consequences... what have you seen in this category?

2. dango

dango

As in life,3 seconds can alter one's entire life,frightening isn't it ?

3. acg8276

acg8276

Tourist’s brothers in arms

By LAURA ITALIANO
    Last Updated: 7:02 AM, January 16, 2012
    Posted: 6:55 AM, January 16, 2012

They’re fighting to save Private Ryan — from jail.
    Marines across the country are rushing to the rescue of former fellow leatherneck Ryan Jerome, who is facing prison time after trying to check his Indiana-registered handgun at the Empire State Building on Sept. 27.
    In multiple blog and chat-group postings and letter-writing campaigns — some aimed directly at NYPD Commissioner Ray Kelly, a Marine Vietnam veteran — the Marines are urging that the charges be dropped against their “brother.”
    “It is just overwhelming, the love and support I am receiving from my fellow Marines,” said Jerome, 28, a former private first class whose father and grandfather were Marines and who was a TOW gunner before his honorable discharge in 2005.
    [​IMG]
    Ryan Jerome

“It’s definitely emotionally devastating, looking at maybe facing 3 1/2 years prison,” he said in a phone call from his home in West Bend., Ind., referring to the mandatory minimum sentence he could face under New York’s strict gun laws.
    The irony that someone so highly trained and trusted to keep America safe might be thrown into prison — for a .45-caliber Ruger that he had legally registered in his home state and that he was actually trying to check with authorities — has not been lost on his Marine brethren.
    Boston lawyer and Marine vet Dave Bruce has organized an online campaign through leatherneck.com that will send its first 14 e-mails to Kelly, Mayor Bloomberg and DA Cyrus Vance today.
    “The theme is not to have Mr. Jerome treated like a common thug. He deserves to be treated better,” Bruce explained.
    The soft-spoken Jerome is a jeweler and had traveled to New York with $15,000 worth of gold he was taking to a Long Island refinery, said his lawyer, Mark Bederow.
    Before coming, he had actually checked online with his phone to see whether his Indiana carry permit was reciprocal with New York, Bederow said. A cellphone glitch confused him.
    The city has seen a spate of tourist gun arrests in recent months.

NOTE----THERE HAS BEEN A CHANGE OF EMAIL ADDRESS SET UP FOR THIS PROJECT---IGNORE THE ONE YOU'LL FIND IN ALL THESE POSTS, AND USE marine1963@earthlink.net instead.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2012
  4. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

My neighbor let his kid use his new F250 diesel with the understanding that he return it full. He did, only it was with gasoline and it almost made it home. I think he's going to find out what it will cost tomorrow... HH

5. janice6

janice6 Silver Member

I called to set out the anchor, and one of the guys took 100 feet of coiled rope and the anchor, and threw the whole mess over the side.

I was kind, I took him to his car in the marina and he left. I don't let people (except my son) help me with the boat.

6. Huaco Kid

Huaco Kid

We were carrying our canoe from the loading ramp towards our car when we heard a horrible crash and screaming and yelling.

I don't know a thing about sailboats, but when you have a VERY nice, new, 35' or 40' one, still on the trailer while waiting in line to use the boat ramp, on a windy day, it's probably not a good idea to raise the sail.

7. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

I've seen people pump gas right into rod holders, filling the bilge. I've also seen flying bridges torn off trailered boats by highway overpasses. HH

8. janice6

janice6 Silver Member

I needed that!!!!!!! Thank you.

In MN we see the new boat going into the lake with the new car when they forget to set the brakes.

9. Hummerbike

Hummerbike

I saw a man try to get his inboard outboard boat motor started by dribbling gas from a Coors can into his carburator.
    The engine backfired and when he jerked his hand back burning gas was flung around the inside of his boat.

Saw another man forget to turn on his evacuation fan on after gassing up his inboard boat and blow his engine compartment sky high. The burning boat drifted away from the gas docks and Park Rangers had to shoot holes in it with 12 guage shotguns to sink it and put the fire out.

One man pulled his drain plug on his jet boat to drain some water while he was underway and forgot to put it back in before he stopped.

Also, saw some good looking women changing from their street clothes into bikinis in their cabin cruiser forgetting that the door was open and the guy pumping gas into the boat had a clear view.

10. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

My good friend who used to be a boat dealer in Pompano tells a tale of getting an angry call from a new to boating customer who just bought a brand new boat and the damned thing wouldn't get up on plane it was so slow. He drives out there, gets in the docked boat and takes it out himself and damned if the thing moves like a brick. Plenty of engine...rpms up...lots of propwash but no go. It still had the trailer attached. HH

11. Diesel_Bomber

Diesel_Bomber

I've seen a cigarette butt thrown down by a logger start a fire that toasted two homes and millions of dollars in standing timber.

When a company has four stroke engined gas equipment, two stroke engined gas equipment, and diesel engined equipment, it is VITAL that each and every person be aware of exactly what kind of fuel each piece of equipment requires, that every fuel container and dispenser be clearly marked with what kind of fuel it contains/dispenses, that said markings ACTUALLY MATCH the fuel contained/dispensed, and that the people doing the fuel filling know what they're doing.

I've heard of a single typo by a secretary on important paperwork being the technicality that lets a murderer walk free.

Most of us make lots of choices in fractions of a second that could have far ranging and dire effects for lots of people every time we drive.

12. Altaris

Altaris

I didn't get to see it, but had my customer call me and tell me the story.

I shipped my customer a big storage/backup solution, which was just over $1 million. The carrier(can't seem to remember which carrier it was), pushed it just a few inches too far on the customers loading dock, which caused it to all fall off the loading dock and smash on the ground below. Whole thing destroyed, and had to re-order another one. Luckily the carriers insurance took care of it for my customer though.

13. Deanster

Deanster Cheese? Millennium Member CLM

Yes, the boat ramp is always good for doing an incredible amount of damage in a few seconds. I've seen people unhook the boat from the trailer before it's in the water... on a roller trailer. The look when they see the boat getting smaller in the mirror as they back down the ramp is... painful. I've never actually seen a vehicle go in the water, but I understand it's pretty common... and I've seen enough close calls to believe it. When they say 'chock your wheels', they really mean it.

I've never broken anything big... but I've done my fair share of damage with power tools. ;)

14. tarpleyg

tarpleyg

Do you know how long I've heard that silly story making the rounds?

Here's a hint....probably much longer than your friend.

Greg

15. cqb451

cqb451

:wow::wow::wow:
    Hard to believe anybody is that stupid. But they do exist.

16. Obi Wan

Obi Wan

I should be full of stories, but I try hard to forget a lot of the dumb stuff I've done to myself over the years... :whistling:

:supergrin:

I will say that on one occasion I got real lucky that my forgetfulness didn't 'cost' me anything.

I had recently bought a 16' jon boat that was set up with a custom front deck, etc, for fly fishing, and it had electric anchors - front and back. I was out fishing with a friend and had both anchors down, but only thought to raise the front one when we decided to move down river. As we tried to get up on plane I kept feeling a surging and thought I had a motor problem. It wasn't until I turned around and saw the yellow anchor rope (1/8") extending out the back that I realized I'd left the anchor out and it was bouncing off the bottom. It was only pure, dumb luck that the anchor or rope didn't get tangled in a submerged tree and tear something apart. :shocked:

17. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

Yeah, whatever... :whistling: HH

18. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

Didn't the Squalis sink because they submerged without closing the hatch first? HH

19. Nords

Nords

This is why I have a hard time believing most stories on forums like this.

Too many people "claim" stories, but google brings up tons of other people telling the same tale :(

20. .264 magnum

.264 magnum CLM

Ouch! The suck is very powerful on that one.