close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Small fixed blade for pocket EDC?

Discussion in 'The Cutting Edge' started by tslex, Nov 28, 2012.

1. tslex

tslex

Aug 1, 2002
    Paradise
    I just cannot seem to crack this nut.

I'd like a small fixed blade knife that can be carried in the pocket.

Ideal size is 6 inches or so; blade about 3 inches. A slim handle, but not a skeletal one. Simple sheath that does not necessarily even need a belt loop.

The Dozier slim Outdoorsman is a bit too long at 7.5" and about twice what I'd really like to spend.

The CRKT SPEW (great name) (http://www.crkt.com/SPEW-Fixed-Blade) would be just right -- EXCEPT I don't love a Warncliffe blade profile and I think I want something a bit higher quality than CRKT. (No slam. I have and use some great CRKT products. But they're hitting a price point, so you get what you pay for.)

So, great GT knife brain trust, what say you.

2. KentuckyPatriot

KentuckyPatriot Photojournalist

Aug 30, 2010
    Kentucky
    Izula or Izula II, Becker BK 11/14 models all come without handle scales, but you can add them to the knife.

I typically carry one of these every day along with my folder and firearm(s) depending on what I am doing.

Best bang for your buck. If you want to go smaller the ESEE Candiru would do trick.

3. Snowman92D

Snowman92D

Oct 6, 2001
    Indianapolis
    I've been carrying a small Finnish puukko for years that meets the OP's parameters. Great knife...comfortable, simple, excellent steel.

4. countrygun

countrygun

Mar 9, 2012
    Check out AG Russel.

They had a "Neck knife" that i picked up a few years ago that I think, if you took the "necklace" fittings off of, might serve your purpose.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2012
  5. How about a Blind Horse knife

[​IMG]

in a KnivesShipFree sheath???

[​IMG]

6. bdcochran

bdcochran

Sep 23, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Thanks TurboRocket. My willpower lasted all of two minutes and I ordered one!

7. tslex

tslex

Aug 1, 2002
    Paradise
    Wow.

Thanks guys.

Both the Izula and the Blind Horse Patch Knife (either the Frontier Valley (6.5 OA) or the Frontier First (5.5 OA)) look like they would perfectly fit the bill. Great price points, too.

Now to to choose. (I realize, on the knife sub-forum, the answer is probably "buy both." But I only need the one.)

You knife guys have any advice?

Last edited: Nov 29, 2012
  8. SGT HATRED

SGT HATRED

Sep 30, 2010
    PHX AZ
  9. syntaxerrorsix

syntaxerrorsix Anti-Federalist CLM

Oct 3, 2000
    Lakeland, FL.
    You won't be disappointed.

[​IMG]

Get the BHK first. It's much more refined.

10. NeverMore1701

NeverMore1701 Fear no Evil Platinum Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Amarillo, Tx
    BHK, they're nice little knives, and more "civilized" looking than the Izula.

11. itstime

itstime

Apr 9, 2006
    USA
    Check out the Blind Horse Snapp Kapp. I think that is how you spell it.

You may find that being even cooler than you imagined. You can carry it on your belt loop with a s-biner also.

12. Cool. What did you get? Post pics when they arrive.

13. bdcochran

bdcochran

Sep 23, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Frontier Valley Patch Knife
    Item# FVPK , Grind: Scandi (Standard) [Bead-blasted Handle] , Handle Color: Natural , Sheath: Snap (#22) , Direction: Right Hand $70.00 USD 1 $70.00 USD
    Subtotal $70.00 USD
    Shipping and handling $8.00 USD
    Total $78.00 USD
    Payment $78.00 USD
    Payment sent to blindhorseknives@yahoo.com

14. NeverMore1701

NeverMore1701 Fear no Evil Platinum Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Amarillo, Tx
  15. 223242

Sep 13, 2007
    Look at the following Bark River (BRKT) knives:

Mikro Canadian II (154CM)
    PSK (154CM)
    Pro Scalpel (3V)
    Little Carver (3V).

BRKT has some others such as the EPK, but the list above are the ones I like.

16. tslex

tslex

Aug 1, 2002
    Paradise
    Bark River are nice! And I can get them with G10 scales so they're slim.

17. bdcochran

bdcochran

Sep 23, 2005
    Los Angeles
    The Blind Horse is in. It is exactly like the one depicted in this thread.

Now, I describe. The knife is one of very few that I have owned that did not require sharpening upon receipt. It fits naturally into the hand with the scales/handle being curved in such a fashion that there is no danger of slippage or cutting your own finger.

It could be purchased as a knife with a neck carry.. However, I don't like neck knives and already have an Spyderco Endura 4 as a neck knife with a kydex sheath. Conversely, if you want a neck carry knife, this is the one to purchase as a fixed blade.

I also don't like slip fit sheaths and prefer a sheath with snaps. I ordered a snap sheath and received more than I expected. Oh, there is leather that comes over and snaps. However, there is something more. There is a ring attached to the back on the sheath. And, attached to the ring is a removable leather keeper of the same leather material! This means that you can carry the sheath on the belt or have the option of what I would describe as a drop carry.

I now turn to the scales/handle material. It resembles finely checkered wood. It is smooth, but not slick.

I would like to pay this knife a design compliment. The design and execution is on the high level of knives by Al Mar, Mora and Marttinnii.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2012
  18. syntaxerrorsix

syntaxerrorsix Anti-Federalist CLM

Oct 3, 2000
    Lakeland, FL.
    And it begins... this about half of my BHK collection :supergrin:

[​IMG]

Post up pics when you get a chance.