close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

small air compressor

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Old School, Apr 2, 2012.

1. Old School

Old School

Any suggestions for a small air compressor? Just looking to add a few psi to car and truck tires once a month. Maybe a few bicycle tires. Far from heavy duty use.

My local gas station used to have free air (if that makes sense), but no more. Can't say I blame them. It seemed to get damaged every few months.

2. engineer151515

engineer151515

Edit

Since I can't find it for you to purchase.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2012

3. woodasptim

woodasptim

I picked up one of these as a Gold Box deal for $50 a couple months ago. It works surprisingly well and you can take it with you on long trips.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BM8RT8/ref=wms_ohs_product"]Amazon.com: Q Industries MV50 SuperFlow High-Volume Air Compressor: Automotive@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51hYwPsge1L.@@AMEPARAM@@51hYwPsge1L[/ame]

4. tarpleyg

tarpleyg

Those things are crap. I had one and the hose end sucked so I went to replace the hose and coupler. When I went to remove the coupler the cheap pot metal housing broke. Tossed it into the trash.

I went with the next step up and haven't looked back.

http://www.viaircorp.com/OffRoad/85P.html

I use this for reflating after airing down when driving on sand. Great little compressor. Get yourself a pigtail that you can clamp to the battery as it'll blow your lighter fuse sometimes.

Greg

5. CitizenOfDreams

CitizenOfDreams

I have been happy with my Slime compressor. It's small yet quite powerful for its size. Last but not least, it stores in a nice rectangular pouch that's easily carried in a car or on a motorcycle. You can buy just a compressor, or a kit with a bottle of Slime tire sealant.

[​IMG]

6. ZekerMan

ZekerMan ZekerMan

I have one of these in my bike tour pak sans the slime, tried it once to see if it works. Been carrying it for 3-4 yrs. and no flats on the bike butttt sure as hell if I take it out I would have one the next day.

OP....if you don't need something real small I would get one of those smaller pancake style compressors, they build up fast plus you could have some pressure to run a airgun to clean things up around the shop, I use mine on the guns quite often. Probably $100-125 would net you one.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2012
  7. Hines57

Hines57 Simple Member

I just picked up a small Campbell Hausfeld off of Craigslist for $40 and it came with a nail gun.

Might check there.

8. fgutie35

fgutie35

Harbor Freight has a special right now for a 120PSI compressor for $39.99 with coupon. I got one for quick uses so I don't have to turn on my industrial one.

9. Dan_ntx

Dan_ntx

I bought a Porter Cable pancake compressor/trim nail gun combo at Home Depot 5 or 6 years ago and it's still going strong. It stood in for my harbor freight 5hp compressor when it broke and worked fine. It's a workhorse that requires no maintenance.

10. Luvdux

Luvdux

That thing is awesome!!

I have had one for like 5 years. I had a truck with 33 1250's on it and it would handle that from flat middle of summer no problem. Very hot to touch but has never overheated.

I have many trailers and vehicles and use it a lot if it has not broken for me I don't know a better test other than a mechanic using it for repairs.

I even use it for a tractor trailer blowing big tires up to 120 psi. Other than a few blown fuses it has never let me down.

11. smokin762

smokin762

I bought a Porter Cable Pancake Compressor last year. I bought it so I could put air in the tires and for cleaning firearms.

It only gets light use. The Air Regulator broke on it and now I can't get the air out of the tank. Junk.:steamed:

I'll use it for target practice one day and see what effect 7.62 rounds will have on it. Just like I did with my old computers.

12. MikeG22

MikeG22 CLM

For what you want to do (filling up tires) this is all you need:
    [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Industries-MF-1035-Portable-Volume-Compressor/dp/B002L146OC/ref=pd_sim_auto_7"]Amazon.com: Q Industries MF-1035 Santa Ana Portable High Volume 12V Air Compressor: Automotive@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51vuiv7HXJL.@@AMEPARAM@@51vuiv7HXJL[/ame]

The MV50 is great if you have bigger tires that you are refilling from single digit pressures. For simple pressure maintenance stick with the one above. I had a car that had a leaky tire that would lose 20psi every 3 days but was a basically new tire. I've had that little one above and it's done an awesome job milking along that tire and doing bike tires and the like. The MV50 would be way overkill for you. I used to have one very very similar to the slime one and while it worked...it was really slow. This is smaller and much faster. Great deal for 32 bucks.

13. rppnj

rppnj

Sears carries a nice selection of air compressors that periodically go on sale. I bought one on sale there about two years ago for just the reasons you stated. It came with a nice pack of accessories also. I did purchase a separate more flexible rubber hose simlar to the ones found in gas stations except that it was black. The rubber hose is longer and more user friendly. Quick-connects are also a big plus. My car/bicycle tire inflator tool is like the ones found in gas stations, however i added a quick-connect. I also have a quick-connect on the 'air sprayer' tool that I use to clean dust/dirt off various equipment in my garage. It's takes just a matter of seconds to change out the various accessories.

14. g29andy

g29andy CLM

I have a 2hp 8gal Harbor Freight compressor for small jobs like you mention, when I don't need the 80gal 3cylinder cfm. Been running for 10 years. I'd go with anything besides an oil-less.

15. zoyter2

zoyter2 Yeah, so what?

I don't know about the other, but this one?

Buy this once and you have a compressor for years.

16. hogfish

hogfish Señor Member

Any of those tiny compressors that you plug into the lighter/accessories outlet in the vehicle should work for your purposes. I've had one for years (nothing special - it's blue:dunno:), and it's always available because it fits anywhere.

17. Dan_ntx

Dan_ntx

Ironic...I threw the regulator off mine away shortly after I got it home. It's been running through a harbor freight FRL unit since day two... Guess I invested my $14 wisely.

18. smokin762

smokin762

Thanks for the tip. I will have to check into that. :wavey:

19. JRS

JRS

The Viair is a good suggestion (did well in a comparison test I read), but I'm in love with the Kobalt ones from Lowe's. Not as good, but cheap and no hassle exchange if it poops out.

I use mine daily as I'm towing trash trailers to the dump as part of my business. Just cut/extended the cord by 20+ feet, and she's been a champ. Very fast for a $29.99 unit, and the best part is, I set the digital gauge, and it shuts off when done. The gauge is also removable to use as a handheld pressure checker.

20. Jbar4Ranch

Jbar4Ranch B-Western Hero Millennium Member

Hitachi EC12 - one of the best small pumps in its class.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2012