Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Connect with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Read up on the latest product reviews
  • Make new friends to go shooting with!
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

Glock Talk is the #1 site to discuss the world’s most popular pistol, chat about firearms, accessories and more.

Slugs or 00 Shot in a Home Defense 12 Gauge?

Discussion in 'Tactical Shotguns' started by dooga, Nov 24, 2011.

1. dooga

dooga 5 year in with Glocks

Mar 30, 2011
    Arlington, VA
    I always assumed that 00 shot was the home defense standard but I hear you guys when you speak in awe of the 12 gauge slug. What do you use and what do you recommend?
  2. Reb 56

Reb 56

Mar 12, 2007
    South Texas
    For HD I prefer the 00 Buck Shot. Slugs tend to over penetrate and may endanger other people in the house.

3. dooga

dooga 5 year in with Glocks

Mar 30, 2011
    Arlington, VA
    Makes lots of sense to me, thanks.
  4. CAcop

Jul 21, 2002
    In the home as far as aiming buck and slug are going to be pretty close. The slug is more likely to blow through the person you are shooting. I am tempted to go to #4 buck for inside the house. #1 buck would likely be a good compromise.
  5. For my Remington 870, low recoil double-aught in the mag, low recoil slugs in the side saddle.
  6. For my Mossberg 500 I use the Winchester PDX1 which is 00buck followed by a 1oz slug. Because of my apartment setup, if anyone tries to breach my door then I have no worries about over penetration, across the street is nothing but a vacant lot with lots of tree's. Every situation is different so you gotta take into consideration you particular situation. I don't have kids either so I am going for mass damage shells.

7. Kaybe

Sep 30, 2009
    Some people use birdshot or No. 8 or 9 shot. Less penetration on the walls or over penetration on the bad guy. You are responsible for each shot that you shoot.
  8. B Coyote

B Coyote

Jul 3, 2001
    NW Indiana
    I keep buckshot in the tube, with a couple slugs and four more buckshot in the sidesaddle. Buckshot is the primary load, but it never hurts to have other options available.

9. PostMortemElvis

Jun 8, 2004
    Bird shot is not a very effective round to stop an attack, an armed and determined attacker with a gun in your home will likely end up pocked and you will end up dead. There is no free lunch, if it won't penetrate drywall then it likely won't stop a bad guy.

Use what you want, I'll stick to 00buck.
  10. VinnieD

Mar 26, 2011
    At the ranges you're dealing with in your home, buckshot is king. 9 projectiles landing in a roughly fist sized group will cause massive trauma to any attacker.

A slug by comparison makes just one massive wound. Though I don't think I've ever heard of a slug failing to stop those things are intended for 100 yard ranges, so I'd be worried that there'd be no accounting for where the thing ends up when it goes in and out of a badguy without even hesitating. That said, if you have to deal with cover, or an armored attacker, or if you have a large enough property that you might indeed be engaging at longer ranges then it could be handy to have a slug around.

If you're the truly paranoid type you could get some buck and ball or buck and slug shells and have the best of both worlds, but the overpenetration issue is still present.
  11. PrecisionRifleman

Jan 24, 2011
    plain jane Remington 2 3/4 9 pellet 00 Buckshot is what I use in my 870 Police for home defense. A full power slug is not something I want zipping through my entire house let alone possibly the neighbors exterior wall. My opinion for what it's worth..
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2011
  12. First two rounds in my gun are 00 Winchester, third round is Brenneke HD low recoil slug, then I alternate between 00 and slugs.
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2011
  13. fasteddie565

fasteddie565 Combat Diver

I am sure I am not the first to post this, but here is a site that dispels the myths about firearms in a home, over penetration etc. Buck shot shows to be the most effective and as stated, slugs do over penetrate in basic sheetrock homes. Bird shot offers the potential of not killing your threat due to lack of penetration. Also of importance is the type of ammo. I recently tested a lesser expensive Rio ammo and found that it offers a wide dispersion pattern at 10 yards. The federal premium tactical low recoil 00 buck consistently offered a pattern the size of cantaloupe or smaller inside of 20 yards. I now shoot the federal. I use the Low recoil in my pump ( R 870) and the 2 3/4 Maximums with flite control wads in my M4.

FWIW. I carry slugs in the back of my side saddle (Federal Trueball).

Also, Magpul Dynamics just came out with a great Dynamic Shotgun instructional video. Worth the money for sure.

Here is the trailer.

FWIW, there is also a pretty funny out takes video from the shotgun trailer as well.

I hope this helps.
  14. fasteddie565

I might offer that under stress, you would lose track of what type of round you are firing next. IMHO, The true art of the shotgun is being able to load the right ammo at the right time.
  15. fasteddie565

You are correct. This is why you need to consider where you can and cannot shoot from when planning your home invasion / home defense plan. Where are my kids? Where are my neighbors. Even tactics as simple as laying in the prone and shooting up may offer you a shot that poses less liability.

An overarching goal in developing such a plan is to place your family and the things worth killing over behind you, and place yourself in a covered position. This position should have a clear field of fire with an adequate backstop or clear back drop (no bedrooms or windows) Things not worth killing over and multiple exits from the dwelling go in front of you. In other words, let him have the TV and leave. If he comes after your family or heirlooms, stop the threat by the most effective means.
  16. Bluestreakfl

Feb 22, 2011
    Federal makes a reduced recoil expanding slug, basically sort of a hollowpoint slug with a flatter front that mushrooms open, slows down much faster than a traditional slug and has a massive energy dump in its target. Below is the link for the ballistic gel tests. Quite impressive for a slug from a HD standpoint when over penetration is a concern.

OutdoorHub Mobile, the information engine of the outdoors.
  17. GAFinch

Feb 23, 2009
    I live in the city, so 00 buckshot only for me. I'm not too crazy about the idea of shooting through a door on an unidentified target and I'm not going to shoot someone outside who's more than 25 yards away.
  18. FAS1

Dec 4, 2009
    San Antonio, TX
    00 Buck should do the trick.
  19. wrenrj1

May 22, 2002

Practice with a few rounds of 00...
  20. B Glover

B Glover

Sep 8, 2010
    I'm a big supporter of buckshot in the home enviroment. Federal Premium Controlled Flight 00 Buckshot (LE132 00) if you can get it. Its not reduced recoil. In most of the shotguns I've seen it shot out of it will produce one hole out to at least 15 yards. Even at 25 I can cover the pattern with one hand in most instances.

Years ago I used to have what I always called a "pawn shop load" in my HD shotgun. birdshot, then buckshot, then slugs. But after shooting several hundred rounds of both buck and slugs, and a considerable amout of professional experience my first choice is buck then slugs in a side saddle.

I'm confident that over penetration with buck shot is not a significant issue.