close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Slug info

Discussion in 'Tactical Shotguns' started by new2town, Mar 16, 2010.

1. new2town

new2town

Sep 29, 2001
    South Carolina
    I just purchaced a new 870 Express Tactical / XS Sights. I'm in the process of checking patterns with 00 Buck, & sighting in Slugs. I now see a lot of different offerings in the Slug Dept. Rifled, not rifled, all copper, hollow point, 1 oz. , lighter and reduced recoil loads.
    Question: At what distance should I zero my sights for slugs and Which kind. Rifled,non, light , heavy ? Good brands?
    Thanks,
    New2town

2. mixflip

mixflip

Mar 4, 2009
    I have mine zero'd at 50 yards with 1 oz. rifled HP slugs. Thats also the distance I qualified on my duty 870 with slugs.

I can still hit a mansized target out to 100 yards fairly easily with my ghost ring sights on my benelli SuperNova if I do my part.

Sabots appearantly need to be shot out of a rifled barrel to really take advantage of the sabot setup. Some say the sabots will wobble if shot out of a smooth bore shotgun since they basically have no spin. They are not front heavy like a berneke slug.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2010

3. Jon_R

Jon_R

May 3, 2009
    Central Florida
    50 yards sounds like a good range for defensive purposes. Maybe would be a couple inches high at 25 and a few low at 75.

A smootbore you want rifled slugs. Never seen a pure copper slug but sounds expensive to have 1oz solid copper.

I just ordered a case (250) Win Ranger Slugs from OMB. $166 shipped. 1200 FPS 1oz HP so it is a little tamer then some but not sure it qualifies for reduced recoil.

I have used the Winchester 15 pack from Wal-Mart. I think those are 1450Fps and are pretty brutual when you fire a bunch. I had a USPSA shotgun match I setup and did a 12 round slug stage. I setup the stage but I had my fill of those full power slugs by then end of that stage. :)

4. B Coyote

B Coyote

Jul 3, 2001
    NW Indiana
    I checked zero at 25 and 50 yards.

I like 1oz, low recoil, rifled slugs.

bc