close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Slide stop question GEN4 G21

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Z71bill, Jul 28, 2012.

1. Z71bill

Z71bill

I have 300 rounds through my GEN4 G21 - zero problems -

I cleaned it yesterday - and when I went to load a round into the chamber the slide locked back -

So I paid a little extra attention to what I was doing - and figured out - when I rack the slide on the G21

I WAS TOUCHING THE SLIDE STOP WITH MY THUMB! :shocked:

I also tested my G19 and my thumb does not hit the slide stop when I rack the slide.

Think it is just the slight size difference + the G21 is HARDER to rack.

I compared my G21 & G19 - noticed that the slide stop on my G21 has much less "spring" to it -

G21 takes almost no force to get it to move up

So -

How much spring force should the slide stop have?

I found the part on Midway it is only $6.49

I would just replace it since it is bugging me - but if the new part is the same (nothing really wrong with mine) then it would be stupid to replace it.

BTW - why does Glock have a part number STAMPED on the part - but use a DIFFERENT number

The slide stop is stamped

5427 which is the same as the picture on Midway

But Glock part number is SP05423.

:dunno:

Last edited: Jul 28, 2012
  2. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

Replacing it will probably not change the spring tension. Far cheaper to just move your thumb.

3. SARDG

SARDG

When you re-assembled the pistol, did you put the locking block pin back in first, then the larger trigger pin? The LB pin is the smaller pin above the trigger pin.

4. TRX450R_Racer

TRX450R_Racer Punisher

How do you rack the slide. If you do the sling shot I can see that happening. Try the hand over the top.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVwmrXT6iZk"]Different ways to rack the slide - YouTube[/ame]

5. Z71bill

Z71bill

Sorry for the confusion -

I just did a field strip when I cleaned it - I have not taken any pins out -

6. SARDG

SARDG

Well then, is the slide stop spring in fact below the locking block pin?

7. Z71bill

Z71bill

:dunno:

I normally use the sling shot method with all my pistols - but the G21 with a FULL mag - is so hard to rack that I could not do the sling shot method. :embarassed:

I do have some arthritus in my wrists and my grip is not what it use to be (I am old and weak).

I have been using the over hand method - but was allowing the gun to turn slightly counter clock wise (right hand) which brings my thumb up close to the slide stop.

My question is really

how much spring should a slide stop have -

I compared it to several other guns -3 M&Ps & a G19

All have 2-3 X more resistance -

8. Z71bill

Z71bill

Yes it is below -

But

If I remove the slide - and look at the top end of the slide stop spring - it is slightly moved over to the right - so when I move the slide stop lever up - the top of the spring is on the right side of the lever "arm" - on my G19 if I do the same thing - the top side of the spring lines up directly on top of the slide stop lever "arm"

9. SARDG

SARDG

They would normally line up. That sounds like the LB pin isn't in to the left as far as it should be - but I don't think that would have any affect on spring tension.

If you are familiar with the correct procedure, take the pins out and inspect the slide stop and reassemble.

10. Z71bill

Z71bill

I have never taken a pin out of a Glock -

I have taken other brands of guns apart without much trouble - there is a lot of "how to" stuff available on Glocks.

Maybe worth a try.

11. SARDG

SARDG

There are a lot of YouTube butchers who don't have a clue - that's for certain.

Where did you buy the 21? Do they have a GLock Armorer that can simply check it for you? How about your range or gun club?

I am also not a fan of LGS gunsmiths who have also created some atrocities with Glocks. Just recently a 2-pin G19 came to me with a modified 3-pin slide stop installed by an LGS gunsmith. (Hint: that won't work!)

12. Z71bill

Z71bill

Bought the gun from a Dallas company that was at a Houston gun show - Dallas - Houston - 250 miles one way -

I have been considering installing a smooth trigger in my G19 - maybe I will just order the trigger bar & slide lock - good chance to learn a little about my Glocks first hand.

Slide stop is sort of wear part anyway - isn't it? If the new part doesn't change anything I could just keep the original as a spare.

13. JBS

JBS

Sounds like the spring is not a hundred percent. Great excuse to replace with a new unit in either standard or extended. Very simple replacement,,,,, no hammer required :supergrin:

14. SARDG

SARDG

I have never 'worn-out' a slide stop.

If the OP's real problem is his thumb, an extended slide stop will only exacerbate the problem.

15. Z71bill

Z71bill

I have never worn one out either - if I could have ordered "just" the spring I would have -

I looked around a little for a spring - but figured since it was such an inexpensive part ($6.49) that maybe people just replace whole thing.

Me hitting the slide stop when I was racking the slide has never caused a problem before - but got me to look at the gun with a more critical eye -

As a result I discovered the slide stop spring was very weak (vs other guns) and also noticed the spring is slightly out of place.

I just ordered the part - will post if it makes any difference - or not - maybe next week -

Or maybe will be starting a thread called

"HELP -- I tried to replace my slide stop & now my G21 slide keeps locking back" :rofl:

16. JBS

JBS

Cool, when you get the new part compare the height of the springs and see if the one now installed has collapsed any compared to the new one.

17. Z71bill

Z71bill

UPDATE -

"BREAKING NEWS" :upeyes:

I received my order from Midway - including the slide stop. :supergrin:

I watched a couple videos on how to replace the slide lock - seemed really easy.

They all said - push the pin out from left to right - I tried - pin would not budge - I was wiggling the slide lock and pushing HARD with my Glock armorers tool -

So I flipped the gun over and tried to push it out from right to left - and it came out with very little effort. :dunno:

**Does it really matter which way you take the pins out?**

I compared the new & used part -

The spring on the old part was bent to the right and was obviously not as "springy" -

I pulled the top pin and removed the locking block -

Wiped everything clean - inspected for any burs and put it all back together.

With the old part installed when I looked down inside the frame the top part of the slide stop spring was about 1/8 of an inch to the right of the slide stop arm - now the top of the pin stays over to the left side right next to the frame - just like my G19.

The resistance is now 3X more with the new slide stop.

I will guess the old part would have never failed (as long as I did not hit it with my thumb) - but feel it was worth the $6.50 to replace it.

:wavey:

18. JBS

JBS

Figured the old one had problems by your description. Yes you can install and remove the pin from either side but when you do it from the long side you have to get the stop past both notches in the pin.

19. SARDG

SARDG

A) the part you are working with is a "Slide Stop" - not 'lock'. You are interchanging the words. (Different parts)

B) Left to Right is looking at the rear of the gun

C) The first pin out, and the first pin back is the locking block (small) pin.

D) If they are removed in the correct sequence, the Left to RIght matters because doing it backwards makes you push the trigger pin through 2 grooves.

E) If they are removed in the wrong sequence, it will likely be impossible or very difficult to remove the trigger pin

F) Regardless, you must move the the slide stop forward and back WHILE pushing on the trigger pin

G) For what you were doing, the locking block itself could have remained.

H) I HATE YOUTUBE!

Last edited: Aug 1, 2012
  20. Z71bill

Z71bill

Maybe the spring was wedged in the notch of the pin? Doesn't seem possible - but it could be why it was bent and would not come out.

I really did not want to use a hammer - not breaking two things to replace one bad part - I learned that lesson fixing my car (took more than one time).