close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Slide release lever- can it be left out?

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by digilo, Dec 1, 2012.

1. digilo

digilo

Apr 27, 2010
    texas

LOL

Funny you say that....

I just put on night sights about 2 weeks ago. While the sights were off, I took it to the range, just to see how hard it would be to shoot. It wasn't hard at all. The flat top of the slide and the squared sides made it easy to get on target- just put the flat of the slide below what I wanted to hit, same as with regular sights, only, the sights themselves weren't in the way. I was tempted to just run it sightless, but if I were to have to use it, the lack of sights could be used against me in court.

2. Glockrunner

Glockrunner HOOYA DEEPSEA

Sep 10, 2001
    SC
    Yep I got it now You're new to firearms. You can't be bothered by the deaths of all those back in our historys' that failed to observe "common sense" safety practices. Your lack of experience around firearms and people hasn't lead you to the fountain of intelligence and understanding of your brotherhood. You are one of the many we hear aabout that has to learn the hard way.

So be it, it is your choice. We were just trying to help because you asked a question here about the slide stop.

3. digilo

digilo

Apr 27, 2010
    texas
    Oh, I get it. You're new to firearms, and with no real knowledge or experience, you enjoy repeating what you read in the stickies. You did good, you recited the sticky materials properly.

Be careful, those guns are dangerous!!

4. Walt Sherrill

Walt Sherrill

Aug 20, 2003
    W
    You're right. I made the same mistake that earlier poster did when I looked at the parts list -- picked the wrong part.

But, if you're going to nit pick, do it right: it's actually called a SLIDE STOP LEVER. <grin>

The unaddressed point remains: if that lever didn't have dual functions -- both holding the slide open and ALSO releasing the slide, there would be little reason for Glock to offer an extended version -- as the extended version doesn't stop the slide a bit more effectively than the standard version... It does make the process of returning the open slide to the closed (in battery) position somewhat easier -- which is arguably why some folks make the mistake of calling that little pressable platform on the lever a RELEASE!!

Last edited: Dec 4, 2012
  5. cciman

cciman

Jan 19, 2009
    SW Ohio
    there are many ways to say poo...some correct, some not so, but we all seem to understand it.

You see many many repeated posts here of "why did my slide not stay open on empty" or "why did my slide lock back with rounds in the mag".

I think the upper stop lever release lock widget tab thingy is a PIA for many right handers with thumbs. It certainly is a perfect and comfortable thumb rest for the thumbs forward combat hold. Its the least reliable control on the Glock.

The best solution is to chop the thumb at the first joint behind the nail. Easy fix, only bleeds for a little bit.

6. Would make clearing an FTE malfunction a little more difficult. Brass high in the ejection port, the slide cramming a bullet into the back of the case of the round that didn't extract.

Typically, you lock the slide to the rear, and rip out the old magazine, as the round protruding tends to make removal difficult. With the slide crammed forward, it's going to make removing that magazine, all the more difficult.

Also, if for some reason, you don't have the use of your weak hand, it facilitates recharging the pistol with just one hand. I wouldn't omit it, it's far more handy than detrimental.

7. digilo

digilo

Apr 27, 2010
    texas
    All good points, so I'm leaving it in. I plan to order another, to bend it in closer to the frame.
    thanks for writing