close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Slide Fire vs. Full-Auto

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by chemcmndr, Sep 18, 2012.

1. chemcmndr

chemcmndr

Aug 23, 2008
    Beavercreek, OH
    Always wondered how a slide fire compared to an actual full-auto AR. Several months ago, we got the chance to compare the two and I finally got around to getting the video footage together. Man, it was fun to shoot!

[ame]http://youtu.be/6a_W3hMOht0[/ame]

2. mjkeat

mjkeat

Jun 17, 2009
    Midwest
    The two are as different as fire and ice.

3. Slide Fire and Full Auto......the fastest way to convert money into noise, lol.

4. Airhasz

Airhasz

Feb 26, 2012
    Bad Axe
    :rofl:

5. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

My friend has it. It works when you can't get the other one... and about as useful for normal civilian usage.

6. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

Sep 4, 2009
    U.S.A.
    I'd get one just for fun if I had a place to shoot it.

7. Airhasz

Airhasz

Feb 26, 2012
    Bad Axe
    Also the most fun one can have converting said money...:steamed:

8. fuzzy03cls

fuzzy03cls

Jan 28, 2010
    Florida
    And after you put a few hundred through it in about 5 minutes, you realize this is a waste of $.

I had one. The way it works is SO different from a real FA or even a regular AR. You can throw out all your skills with a normal AR. It was so unnatural to use.

9. M&P15T

M&P15T Beard One

Apr 7, 2011
    Arlington, VA.
    Absofrigginlutely!!!:rofl::rofl:

I'd love to hear from some actual , real life combat experienced folks that can describe the difference in effectiveness between 3rd burst and FA.

10. MrMurphy

MrMurphy ********* Moderator Moderator Millennium Member Lifetime Member

Jan 16, 2001
    Buried in the X-files
    Never did see combat, but I have no use for 3 round burst. On the M16/M4 specifically because of the way it works, you never know if you're gonna get 1, 2 or 3 rounds per pull, which jacks up the next one as well if you don't get 3. The few times I flipped the switch all the way forward, it annoyed the hell out of me. Mostly did it for force-on-force exercises playing OPFOR or for higher-up dog and pony shows where we were getting rid of ammo in hurry using blanks to make someone with stars happy, like replacing an M249 or M240 (we were out of belted blanks) in the turret and burning through five mags on burst in about 30 or 40 seconds it seemed like while reacting to a 'terrorist attack' which was hilariously funny (since, being a dog and pony show.....we knew exactly where they were going to be).

Full auto is of limited use in a rifle, but if you need it, you need FULL AUTO.....not burst.

99.9% of the time, you're gonna be on semi.

11. Travclem

Travclem Badass Member Lifetime Member

Aug 4, 2008
    Lubbock, TX
    Well said, I agree. In my experience, SlideFire is garbage, 3 round burst is garbage, and full auto is great for an extremely narrow window of uses. If my rifle has a 3rd position, it's F/A.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2012
  12. mjkeat

mjkeat

Jun 17, 2009
    Midwest
    You already have (see below).

13. M&P15T

M&P15T Beard One

Apr 7, 2011
    Arlington, VA.
    You were discussing slide-fire and actual FA...not FA and 3 round burst.

Guess you were throwing your hat into the "combat experienced" ring then.

14. mjkeat

mjkeat

Jun 17, 2009
    Midwest
    I think you are confussed. The thread topic is on FA and the slidefire. You asked the difference b/w burst and FA. The same explanation, fire and ice, applies to both.

You need to pay attention.

Why is it that a good portion of those w/ the highest post counts are the ones who should spend more time reading.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2012
  15. M&P15T

M&P15T Beard One

Apr 7, 2011
    Arlington, VA.
    Nice CYA, but you're full of it.

I asked a totally different question, AFTER you had answered another, and then you tried to say that the same answer applies to both.

:rofl::rofl:

16. mjkeat

mjkeat

Jun 17, 2009
    Midwest
    Your question in bold above.

The answer to said question - fire and ice

The same answer does apply to both. If not please explane how it does not.

Is this some sort of act like when girls pretend they are clueless because they feel it'll attract boys?

17. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr DirtyThirty fan CLM

Nov 24, 2005
    Troy
    A $300 slide fire stock vs a 25 cent rubber band? :dunno:

18. chemcmndr

chemcmndr

Aug 23, 2008
    Beavercreek, OH
    Yeah, the dirt shooting was because we didn't get very long to play with the RDIAS, and I agree, that they both convert money into noise really fast. Still doesn't mean that I don't want a registered full-auto of my own! I never got around to getting a slide fire myself just because the manual of arms on it is different than a select fire.

As far as the effectiveness between FA and burst; burst is great for those who do not practice enough to develop good trigger control to squeeze off controllable bursts with a FA in stressful situations, although, like it was said earlier, 99.9% of shooting is semi anyway. The only reason I can see to use full-auto in a combat situation is suppressive fire or to break an ambush.

19. AK_Stick

AK_Stick AAAMAD

Jan 20, 2004
    Alaska, again (for now)
    3 round burst is retarded idea. Absolutely useless.

FA has a niche use. Would much prefer my M-4 to have a full auto setting instead of burst.