close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Slide Dropped on Empty chamber

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by DairyLandShooter, Mar 8, 2013.

1. mrsurfboard

mrsurfboard
    Expand Collapse
    The Anti-Glock

Sounds very scientific, ok, I thought so.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. PaLEOjd

PaLEOjd
    Expand Collapse

Keep an extra extractor or two on hand, you may need one. Not saying it will happen but having the extractor jump the case may cause damage or cause it to beak. I have done it before without issue, just be prepared for what can happen.

3. Made in Austria

Made in Austria
    Expand Collapse

I am pretty sure it doesn't hurt a Glock because it's a striker fired gun where no trigger job/hammer sear can be messed up due to the different design. Also, the locking areas of a Glock are extremely hard and cannot be deformed over time by dropping the slide on a empty chamber all the time. But, the energy from the slide has to go somewhere else if no metal can be deformed. That energy gets converted to, stronger resonance waves going through the whole gun till they get absorbed by your hand/wrists and probably into generating stronger sound waves in a certain frequency.

I wouldn't drop the slide on a empty chamber of a 1911 and other similar gun designs because it can cause damage to an nice trigger job of your 1911, to the breech face, barrel and slide/locking areas and other action parts. Damaging the locking areas can cause changes in dwell times and reliability.

4. GLOCK19FTW

GLOCK19FTW
    Expand Collapse

Hm..

Ok, so what is the best & safest way to chamber the first round without potentially causing damage to anything?

Putting it in the chamber by hand, then gently easing the slide back to it's ready position, then inserting the mag last (like I've been doing)

OR - Just putting a mag in then rack the slide to let it chamber itself from the magazine, then remove the mag & load another bullet to top it back off?

Which one has less risk of damaging anything?

Because I really don't know what this stuff people are saying even means..

lol I'm not an expert and I wont pretend to be one.. I'm not ashamed to ask for advice when I need it.

#44 GLOCK19FTW, Mar 10, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2013
  5. lwbfl

lwbfl
    Expand Collapse
    2A Defender

Glock says not to hand load the chamber at any time. Always load from the magazine - extractor issues noted and proven by replacing them.

They also say never ride the slide but they also say not to use the slide stop as a slide release. I listen but you don't have to. I have a 1911 that has so many nuances that I won't carry it but I "slam" my empty Glocks all the time. I service two Sheriff's dept Glocks and have never seen any issues from it and they all do it when they unload, clean or check their pistols. My opinion is the same as the manufacture's, don't ride the slide or hand load the chamber!

6. GLOCK19FTW

GLOCK19FTW
    Expand Collapse

Awesome, thanks man - will keep that in mind from here out.

I'm off to watch the walking dead!! :)

7. Scotracy96

Scotracy96
    Expand Collapse

Glocks are tough *****es that like playing rough. I have no problem racking my slide hard. I rack it 3 times to check it is empty. Don't worry about it. My friend has had his since 1991 on his 19 and never has failed.

8. cciman

cciman
    Expand Collapse

Option OR ===> then all you worry about is bullet setback. Use a new cartridge each time, shoot the bullet, or just ignore it.

Is this crystal clear yet or do we need to rephrase these yet another way.

Read this, then decide whether to worry about the little things about Glocks:

Torture test