Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Reason #1
  • Reason #2
  • Reason #3

Site Description

Slide Dropped on Empty chamber

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by DairyLandShooter, Mar 8, 2013.

1. DairyLandShooter

Apr 6, 2012
    I know this is old discussion however, I am wondering if anybody has ever seen or experienced any issues from doing this to a glock?

I have done it about 10 or 12 times to my gen 3 19. (Dropping the slide on an empty chamber.)

I don't plan on making it habbit, I am just wondering if there is anything to be worried about with my current gun. I will be using it for CCW.
  2. NIB

Jul 26, 2002
    Lost Angeles
    Personally I think warnings against dropping the slide on an empty chamber is way overblown. You hear all the time about not doing this on a 1911. I've been shooting 1911s just as long as Glocks and the only time I have ever heard where this could damage a 1911 is on those with ultra light competition triggers.

3. jmb79

Sep 27, 2001
    I have done that hundreds of times over the years and it is absolutely harmless. I purchased my oldest Glock new, circa 1991 and it may have had the slide dropped on its empty chamber 500 (??) times. It's no worse off becasue of it.

So, stop worring about it.
  4. No. Glock's don't mind that due to the hardness of the Glock slide and barrel. But it should not become a habit because there are guns especially older guns which don't like that.
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2013
  5. Hmmm...brain not focusing here...sorry...

by "Slide Dropped on Empty chamber" do y'all mean racking/"sling-shotting" the slide without a magazine in the gun?

I didn't realize that was even an issue...
  6. DairyLandShooter

Apr 6, 2012
    Yes, I had the slide racked all the way back and stopped by the slide stop lever. I then pressed down with my thumb on the slide stop and the slide snapped shut. I have done it a 10 to 12 times.
  7. Bullet or not. Whats the difference?
  8. DairyLandShooter

Apr 6, 2012
    Some say, the reduction in forward movement caused by the stripping of a bullet from the magazine into the chamber "cushions" the impact.
  9. When theres a bullet in the chamber and you squeeze the trigger. There is such a violent reaction that happens in the blink of an eye. That recoil spring goes ALL the way back to maxium compression. It grabs the next bullet and slams it into the chamber again. I hardly think racking the slide with no bullet in there is doing anything different then shooting the gun.
  10. AustinTx

Aug 16, 2006
    Maybe I'm just confused. The only warnings, that I've heard, is to not drop the slide on a loaded chamber. That could chip the extractor.
  11. Again, I dont see the difference in doing this. Glocks do this naturally when they feed the next bullet from the magazine into the chamber..
  12. If the round is already in the chamber when you drop the slide, the extractor has to jump over the rim.
    When you load from a magazine, the rim slides into the extractor notch.
  13. F106 Fan

F106 Fan

Oct 19, 2011
    Yes but...

The slide is slowed considerably by picking up the next round in the magazine, forcing it up the feed ramp and ultimately jamming it in the chamber. Considerably...

Just think about how tight that top round is in a new magazine. It takes a lot of effort for the recoil spring to strip that round and move it to the chamber. And that effort slows the slide.

So, stop doing it! You have two hardened surfaces impacting each other at higher than normal velocity and it just can't be doing anything good. Yes, you can probably get away with it but you can't possibly believe it is a good practice.

BTW, it is fatal to the sear edges on a 1911. The hammer will follow the slide and get stopped on the half-cock notches. These notches will usually destroy the fine surface of the sear and ruin a 1911 trigger job.

There are those (and I'm among them) who won't drop the slide on a 1911 even if the magazine is in place and full. A better practice is to ride the slide with your hand and help the recoil spring jam the round into the chamber. Among other things, you can feel the bullet run up the feed ramp and into the chamber. You KNOW a round is ready to fire - even though the gun will still be press-checked if time allows.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2013
  14. #1 way to cause a malfunction: Ride the slide....
  15. Magus

Magus Deo Vindice

Jan 24, 2009
    Not a real issue with a Glock given what it is. Some higher end guns with a trigger job...maybe.

Basically I just don't do it with any semi-auto I own. Not so much because I'm terribly worried about damage, I just don't to avoid needless wear and tear regardless of what platform it is. Granted, that wear and tear might be minimal, but I figure why do it? :dunno:
  16. I'm not saying its good practice. But if it happens a few hundred times I dont think its going to hurt it all that much.
  17. F106 Fan

F106 Fan

Oct 19, 2011
    It is also bashing the slide stop and the locking block. It isn't just the barrel and slide that are taking an unneeded pounding.

Besides, I can absolutely, unconditionally, guarantee that not dropping the slide won't hurt the gun.

Any of the slide dropping proponents want to offer a money back guarantee to their approach? Here's the deal: If a user drops the slide up to 500 times based on your recommendation and the gun is damaged in any way, you agree to replace it with a brand new gun.

Any takers? Hey, it's your advice people are following!

I will certainly take the opposing bet that if the user doesn't drop the slide at all, there will be no damage from dropping the slide.

18. By all means, its your gun, not mine. If you want to rack the slide and use it as a hammer, then by all means go for it. Just remember its not a Hi-Point, it doesnt have a lifetime warranty.

I'm just saying its probably not going to hurt it as much as you think to rack the slide every once in a while. If you are worried about it, dont do it.
  19. M 7

M 7

May 22, 2012
    That's a good perspective. I don't let it occur very often, but if it does, it's simply not a big deal. Keep 'em loaded and there's nothing to worry about.
  20. 9mm +p+

9mm +p+

Mar 1, 2005
    Old Dominion
    I never do it, never have.