close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Slide degreaser before sight install?

Discussion in 'Sights, Optics and Lasers' started by Clay1, Feb 25, 2011.

1. Clay1

Clay1

Dec 7, 2004
    Wisconsin
    So I pulled off my stock Glock sights and am just about to install a set of Trijicon Novaks on my G19. They finally arrived. Should I just wipe down the slide with alchohol or should I use a fancy degreaser before I install them. While I don't have any degreaser, I have electrical contact cleaner and brake cleaner, will one of those work or should they not be used on a new Glock slide?

Thanks

Rick

2. Braden

Braden

Feb 10, 2005
    Texas
    Alcohol should work fine. The idea is just to get it clean. I use Hoppes Blast & Shine on mine, which I think must be mostly alcohol because it evaporates away in just a few seconds.

3. Clay1

Clay1

Dec 7, 2004
    Wisconsin
    I didn't get a response right away and I was in the middle of doing he sight change. I ended up putting some brake cleaner on a Qtip and wipping the front sight area off on the outside and inside and then the rear sight channel.

I will say that the new rear sight pressed in tough, even with the Trijicon pusher. It's all done and has set up for a day with the thread locker, blue not red, so it is ready to go bang.

Thanks for responding Brandon. Should have posted this thread a week ago since I knew the sights were coming.

Rick

4. em2b96p

em2b96p

Nov 10, 2010
    Ive never done sight install before but IIRC should not be too much resistance. Hopefully its on straight.

PS I use rubbing alcohol for degreasing. Its cheap and works wonders!