close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Slide conversion: build a 19L

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by windsorpeltor, Apr 8, 2011.

1. windsorpeltor

windsorpeltor

LWD website suggest that if i want to build a 19L i need the ff:

1. LWD Dust Cover 1
    2. LWD Barrel M/19L 9mm
    3. LWD Slide G17 9mm

My question:
    Since ill be using a stock G17 slide, put a dust cover and use a LWD Barrel M/19L 9mm that has the same specs as the glock 17 stock barrel ([FONT=&quot] length 4.49 inch, 114 mm[/FONT] OAL). Why i cant use the stock barrel of G17?

LWD Barrel M/19L 9mm (specs):
    http://www.lonewolfdist.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=936&CAT=255

LWD Barrel M/17 9mm Stock Length (specs):
    http://www.lonewolfdist.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=926&CAT=238

LWD customer service told me that G17 stock barrel and LWD Barrel M/19L 9mm has different lock ups, and if i use glock 17 stock barrel the pistol will not function.

Can anyone enlighten me? im kinda new with glocks.

BR

2. WA Glocker

WA Glocker

The locking block that the frame uses to catch the barrel is different on the full size and compacts. Basically, the lug on the bottom of the barrel will be shaped slightly differently to catch in either a compact or full size frame. The subs also use the same block as the compacts.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2011

3. windsorpeltor

windsorpeltor

got it:
    G17: full size
    G19: compact

any other solution?

4. WA Glocker

WA Glocker

I'm sorry, doesn't look like there is one =(

I took the slides of my 17L and 26 off and examined why it won't work. The locking blocks on the frames themselves are bigger on the full size. The barrel lug on the full size barrels is also wider & taller to mate with these bigger locking blocks. Finally, The spot on the barrel that catches the spring is also more angled on my 26, on my 17L it is about 90*. Sadly, I think your only option is to buy the lone wolf barrel.

I wish that worked though, I'm dying to put my 17L slide on a 19 frame. By Lone Wolf's standards that would be a 19XXL :cool:

5. windsorpeltor

windsorpeltor

:)

thanks...

LWD it is...

6. AK74play

AK74play

You can re cut the lug but that is a one way trip. Go with the 19XL, I did and love it.

7. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

One alternative is to buy a G17 and have the grip cut down so that G19 mags will fit and function.

8. Sonnytoo

Sonnytoo

Yes, Danny, something I'm gonna do one of these fine days. The G17 is more grip than I need...or want.
    S2

9. TSAX

TSAX USAF Vet

This is a project on my to do list as well. Cold Bore Customs does nice work and it will cost about $100 after shipping.

http://www.coldborecustom.com/Services.html

:50cal:

10. kcrow11

kcrow11

I know this is an old thread but I have been looking for answers to various questions I have lately as I am an avid Glock and AR builder. Having built over 50 rifles and some 20 Glock pistols I find my self to be pretty knowledgeable on the building process. I am actually getting ready to build a 19L for my Dad as a birthday present, I'm sourcing parts from various sources. I am going to use a standard Glock 19 frame, have it textured aggressively. I am also going to use a standard Glock 17 Slide and send it off to Robar to have the NP3 Plus finish applied. I see where you have said there are no options for this, you must go LWD. LWD is an awesome company and I am a very good customer of theirs but for the $$$ I can use stock glock parts having them refinished a little cheaper than buying through LWD for this project. I will be using the LWD G19L Barrel, shouldn't this function fine with the stock Glock 17 slide as the LWD G17 Slide is exact same dimensions?

So, basically what I am trying to say is yes OP could have used a G19 Frame with G17 Slide and have just procured his barrel from LWD as a G19L for the lug to match up with the frame. Black slide Glocks should have SS barrels, NP3+ Slides should have the black barrel IMHO.

If I am wrong in saying such about using the stock Glock parts for this project please call me out bc I am about to start ordering myself and do no want to end up with $800 in parts that don't match up correctly....been there done that...lol :cool:

11. Eric2340

Eric2340 Infidel :)

Buy a used G17 (like I did) and just do this -

[​IMG]

I just measured off of my G19, and whacked the end off of it (the G17). I was going to go the same route as you did using LW parts in the beginning, but then decided I wanted it all factory for best functioning.

.........and DON'T listen to the nay-sayers about not doing this (G19L) it shoots like a DREAM!! Feels like my regular 19, shoots better, and handles better, and still carries like a DREAM.

The only regret I have is not a G22 to do the same with for 23L, but that's coming. :)

Even shoots better (faster back on target and more accurate at speed) than my G34 did. :)

HTH

Last edited: Jan 17, 2012
  12. toshbar

toshbar Timber Baron

You guys can keep dreaming.......

[​IMG]

13. Eric2340

Eric2340 Infidel :)

Is that a 24 cut to a 23? :) Looks like it.

We tried my 34 upper on my "19L" frame before I sold it (the 34), looked a little goofy but shot nice. :)

My 17 slide on my "19L" STILL shot better though. Not bad for a beat to *****, used 17 from a gun show to what it is now. :)

14. toshbar

toshbar Timber Baron

It's my 24 slide on my 23 frame. I just slapped it on for the photo.

I'm thinking bout hacking down my 23 to take 27 mags. my 23 is tons more accurate than my dad's 27, and since the grip is what sticks out when concealing IWB, that's the part I'd like to lose while still keeping sight radius and barrel length which don't bother me.

15. tjsjr

tjsjr

Any reason you couldn't get a 17L (6") barrel and mod the lug for the 19 frame and run it in a 34 or 17L slide? =19xxL

Thanks,
    Non glock owner looking to build a hybrid.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2012
  16. voyager4520

voyager4520 -----

17. tjsjr

tjsjr

Thanks. What was he talking about in tbe quote i quoted?