Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Reason #1
  • Reason #2
  • Reason #3

Site Description

Slamfires & the M1A

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by KB2MBC, May 4, 2010.

1. KB2MBC

KB2MBC NRA Life Member

Nov 18, 2009
    I'm going to start reloading for my M1A. I was looking through the paperwork that came with the rifle. One paper talks about slamfires and gave a bunch of reasons as to why they occur. One of the reasons is too sensitive a primer.
    Anyone have an insight as to what primer mfg. to steer clear of or which mfg. is more suitable?

I make no claim of liability against anyone's opinion for this and any other information given

2. dudel

Dec 10, 2008
    Texas Hill Country
    A high primer will do it as well. Easy to do if you don't remove the crimp from military once fired brass.
  3. Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Mar 1, 2000
    High primers are usually the problem.

I reload for the M1 Garand, and have been for several years. Many thousands or rounds reloaded and fired using regular CCI 200 LR primers.

You need to use proper and correct reloading procedures.
  4. Zombie Steve

Zombie Steve Decap Pin Killa

May 31, 2007
    Old Colorado City
  5. mineralman55

Dec 4, 2009
    Get a case gauge! Drop every round you make into it to be sure it fits. I had a brand new M1A slam fire on me many years ago because the tolerances on the chamber were so tight and the rounds were not quite perfect.

Since then, I've loaded thousands of Garand and M1A rounds with mostly Win LR, and no problems. Every round goes in my case gauge.
  6. fredj338

Dec 22, 2004
    Very true. Primers to stay away from though, Federal. They have a rep for being very sensative/thin cup. Any other primer should be good to go. If you are really concerned, go w/ the CCI34, it's a milspec primer.
    Last edited: May 5, 2010