close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Sks questions

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by 2-tap, Jul 19, 2012.

1. 2-tap

2-tap
    Expand Collapse

They never really appealed to me until i seen this. My question now is what would something like this cost to put together and is it even worth it or am i better off with a ar or ak.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!

Attached Files:

2. SigFTW

SigFTW
    Expand Collapse

When it come to the SKS, there are so many options to Bubba-diz. I would not, that is just me. I like to look and feel of my SKS.

The gun will run you $300-$450 depending on new/used.
    The the mod stock will cost $70 to $200 depending on what you want.
    The scope rail mod $25 to $60.

Unless you have the SKS, then I would say, buy an AK.

3. countrygun

countrygun
    Expand Collapse

Turning an SKS into an AK is an answer to a question no one should have ever asked.

The SKS stands well on it's own. Most of the aftermarket "AK" type mags are not reliable, (I know, I tried). By the time you get it all done you've spent more than an AK would cost in the long run and the only benefit I can really see id the SKS safety is in a better location.

However, I would love to get my hands on one of the Chinese SKS (paratrooper) carbines that were built to use the AK mag.

#3 countrygun, Jul 19, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2012
  4. Travclem

Travclem
    Expand Collapse
    Badass Member
    Lifetime Member

Just try to find an SKS-M and be done with it. I have one and it is better than standard SKS rifles by far IMO. 16" bbl, AK mags, and a man sized stock

5. ReyFufuRulesAll

ReyFufuRulesAll
    Expand Collapse
    Pantless Wonder

The SKS is not an AK. To try to turn it into one will do nothing but to make it worse.

There's a reason that the SKS is designed the way it is. If you want an AK, buy an AK.

6. Glockdude1

Glockdude1
    Expand Collapse
    Federal Member
    CLM

:agree:

7. collim1

collim1
    Expand Collapse
    Shower Time!

The SKS is one of my favorite rifles. I would keep it stock. The 10rd mag is not really a deal breaker for me.

8. ReyFufuRulesAll

ReyFufuRulesAll
    Expand Collapse
    Pantless Wonder

especially with
    stripper clips.

9. arclight610

arclight610
    Expand Collapse

Ivan Chesnokov speaks about modding the SKS:

IVAN: "WHAT IN **** IS DONE TO THIS POOR RIFLE? STUPID HICK AMERICAN WITH TEN GALLON HAT AND GIANT PICKUP TRUCK LOOKS AT PERFECTLY FINE SIMONOV KARBIN AND SAYS "NO, RIFLE NEED MORE DUMB **** ON IT"?

WHAT IS REASON FOR PISTOL GRIP? IF YOU NEED TO FIRE FROM HIP IN EMERGENCY, NOW HAND IS TWISTED INTO PAINFUL ANGLE AND YOU MISS EVERY ENEMY! LOOK AT WRONG ANGLE OF BAYONET! LOOK AT CHEAP PLASTIC MAGAZINE THAT FEEDS CARTRIDGE LIKE CONSTANTLY JAMMING PEZ CANDY BOX! WHERE DID CLEANING STICK GO?

I HEAR OF 922 LAW IN AMERICA. ADDING PISTOL GRIP TO WEAPON MEANS YOU CHANGE OTHER PARTS. WHAT ELSE YOU ****? YOU PUT NEW BOLT EDIFICE? HOW ABOUT BAD FIT RECEIVER COVER FOR CHEAP SCOPE TO SHOW OFF AT HICK PARTY AND NEVER HIT LARGEST SIDE OF BARN?

SURE, IS ONLY YUGOSLAV COPY TYPE BUT IS STILL PROUD DESIGN OF SERGEI SIMONOV. THIS IS LIKE SENDING HIM BIRTHDAY CARD WITH SEVERED OFF THUMB OF DAUGHTER IN ENVELOPE. "HAPPY BIRTHDAY SERGEI! I PISS ON ALL YOU CREATE!" LARGE MOUND FORMS OVER SIMONOV'S GRAVE BY CONSTANT TUMBLING OF HIS ANGRY CORPSE. IS FAULT OF PEOPLE LIKE YOU.

RIFLE WAS FINE BEFORE YOU **** IT. NOW IS TRASH. MAYBE YOU CHECK IN GARAGE AND ORIGINAL BOLT EDIFICE AND WOOD ARE STILL THERE. MAYBE IS NOT TOO LATE TO KEEP RIFLE SOMETHING NOT SHAMEFUL TO TAKE TO FIRING RANGE. TAKE **** OF GOAT AWAY AND COULD STILL BE GOOD WEAPON."

#9 arclight610, Jul 19, 2012
  10. 2-tap

2-tap
    Expand Collapse

I havent even shot a stock sks. I was mostly curious on how much it would cost with all the extras. Maybe i will jusr get an ak lol

11. cloudbuster

cloudbuster
    Expand Collapse

/ENDTHREAD :yourock::thumbsup::rock::bowdown::iloveyou::goodpost:

My two SKSes, after much idiotic messing with bubba-mods, are now happily, reliably, stock.

12. Decguns

Decguns
    Expand Collapse

I'm a firm believer in leaving the SKS alone. If one must Bubba their SKS, the Tapco stuff works pretty well. The T6 stock is amazingly comfortable. Tapco's plastic 20rd mag actually works. The dust cover scope mounts that have screws to tighten it down to the receiver work OK. The mounts made with a Weaver rail welded to a standard dust cover require some work to fit tight. You're best option is having a side rail drilled & tapped to the receiver. All things said & done, you're much better off with an AK.

#12 Decguns, Jul 19, 2012
  13. ranger1968

ranger1968
    Expand Collapse

14. mac66

mac66
    Expand Collapse
    Huge Member
    Millennium Member

I went through all the SKS foo-foo back in the day and ultimately decided that the SKS is what it is because it is the way it is. All mine are now back in original condition.

When you think about it, it is really a pretty good idea for a rifle. It is simple, robust i.e., combat tough, reliable, accurate enough, uses a decent cartridge, fixed 10 round mag loadable by stripper clips, folding bayonet, carries it's own cleaning kit. Great all around, general purpose rifle or "Karabiner" as the case may be.

#14 mac66, Jul 19, 2012
  15. sglock45

sglock45
    Expand Collapse

I love mine and all I've done to it is add a bypod and a receiver scope mount. and its a tack driver out to 100 yards wich is the farthest my range goes ill get pics latter and post them

16. arclight610

arclight610
    Expand Collapse

Just keep the AK the way it is...

WHY YOU WANT RAIL FOR KALASHNIKOV? IS NOT GOOD ENOUGH AS PROCURED FROM IZHEVSK MECHANICAL WORKS? YOU THINK NEEDS IMPROVEMENT? THEN MAYBE YOU FIND JOB WITH ARMY OF RUSSIA! YOU HAVE DRINKS WITH MIKHAIL KALASHNIKOV, TRADE STORY OF MANY WEAPONS DESIGNED AND DETAILS OF SCHOOL FOR ENGINEERING!

OR MAYBE YOU NOT DO THIS. PROBABLY IS BECAUSE YOU NEVER DESIGN WEAPON IN WHOLE LIFE. YOU LOOK AT FINE RUSSIAN RIFLE, THINK IT NEED CRAZY **** STICK ON ALL SIDES OF WEAPON. YOU HAVE DISEASE OF AMERICAN CAPITALIST, CHANGE THING THAT IS FINE FOR NO REASON EXCEPT TO LOOK DIFFERENT FROM COMRADE. YOU PUT CHEAP FLASHLIGHT OF CHINESE SLAVE FACTORY ON ONE SIDE, YOU PUT BAD SCOPE OF AMERICAN MIDDLE WEST ON OTHER SIDE, YOU PUT FRONT PISTOL GRIP ON BOTTOM SO YOU ARE LIKE AMERICAN MOVIE GUY JOHN RAMBO.

RIFLE IS FINE. YOU **** IT, IT ONLY GET HEAVY AND YOU STILL NO HIT LARGEST SIDE OF BARN. GO TO FIRING RANGE, PRACTICE WITH MANY MAGAZINE OF CARTRIDGE. THEN YOU NOT NEED DUMB **** PUT ON SIDE OF RIFLE.

17. The_Gun_Guru

The_Gun_Guru
    Expand Collapse
    Ban Democrats!!

Dude, just buy a WASR-10 AK......trust me!!!:wavey:

The ONLY reason I modded this Yugo SKS is because the gun was only $99 from J&G (had a cracked stock). I spent a total of $450 to make it look like this. Should I have just bought another WASR-10? OF COURSE!!!

But this was more fun:supergrin:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I do love my SKS'!!!

[​IMG]

TGG

18. Bob Hafler

Bob Hafler
    Expand Collapse

I agree with the others who say leave it alone. They are some terrific rifles. If your looking for an AK then buy an AK. Personally I'll take my 1969 Yugo SKS anyday. I could not be happier. There true military weapons made for the militarys needs, Not a remake civilian version of a military weapon using questionable parts. There the real deal and built like tanks. Two rifles I'll never get rid of is my 1955 M1 Garand and my 1969 SKS. When ever I take them to the range they have a habbit of drawling a crowd.

19. raven11

raven11
    Expand Collapse

It's cheaper to just buy a AK

20. Travclem

Travclem
    Expand Collapse
    Badass Member
    Lifetime Member

You spent too much. The Tapco stocks are around $70.