SKS Ammo

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by dkf, Jan 11, 2013.

1. I was watching some Youtube vids on the SKS lately and they mentioned issues with brass cased ammo with the heavy SKS hammer spring. The guy claimed the SKS tends to pierce primers on brass cased ammo and that steel cased is best.

1) Does that have any merit?
    2) Doesn't the steel cased ammo use brass primers like the brass cased ammo?

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads Forum Date
    Wolf WPA Polyformance Ammo any good? General Glocking Yesterday at 12:03 PM
    If you have a fire at home, your ammo is going to cook off like this. The Okie Corral Friday at 10:34 PM
    Question for Seanmac - NYPD pistol and ammo testing Cop Talk Thursday at 10:16 PM
    G33 BARREL (357sig) & AMMO Gun Parts & Accessories Thursday at 8:54 AM
    10mm ammo General Glocking Tuesday at 7:31 PM

3. I don't know if it is more of a problem with pierced primers or the fact that softer primers make slam-fires more likely. The Russian import ammo definitely has harder primers. I've seen them for sale for reloading, but I can't remember for sure who makes them. If you have a Murray's firing pin on your SKS, you wouldn't have to worry about the slam-fires.

4. collim1

collim1 Shower Time!

Never noticed it, but I have shot very limited amounts of brass ammo in an SKS. One of the main attractions of an SKS or AK47 is the availability of cheap steel surplus ammo. Of course that is not really the case anymore, the days of 1k cases for less than $200 are gone.

Only real reason to shoot brass ammo is to sight in for hunting with JSP ammo.

Clean the cosmoline out of it real good when new and cleaning the bolt with solvent every year will eliminate the slam fire problem.

#3 collim1, Jan 11, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2013
  5. SCmasterblaster

Millennium Member

Really? I'll have to look up the Murray FP.

6. kf4zra

kf4zra I miss ya Murph

this idea comes from the fact that the sks has a free floating firing pin, and if any crud gets in there, its easier to cause a slamfire on the commercial stuff than it is on the russian surplus stuff.

I have heard people say that the primers are softer on the commercial vs russian ammo. The harder primer is supposed to resist slamfires more.

I dont know how true any of it is. I do know that if you keep your gun maintained, you shouldnt have any problems with either kind of ammo.

I had heard reports of some kind of commercial ammo from years ago that did not have the primers seated deep enough and this caused slamfires too. again, dont know if that is true.

They shouldnt pierce primers unless the firing pin is too long or the primer is not seated properly. Or unless someone sharpened the firing pin.

I have shot about 20 different kinds of 762x39 thru many different sks's. Ranging from winchester, american eagle, S&B, prvi partizan, monarch, golden bear, silver bear, brown bear, various wolfs, various ulayanovsks, golden tiger, reloads, egyptian surplus, yugo surplus, and never had a problem with any of it.

7. I got all the cosmoline off the SKS this weekend (that was a treat) so going to take it out this week to shoot.

Got a bunch of steel cased Herters which is Tulammo. Primers look brass to me. Stripped the gun down completely and the firing pin is free. The firing pin has a nice flat section on the tip which should help to prevent any slam fires.

Maybe it will get some brass cased at it at one point. With the price of steel case ammo I don't think I will bother setting up to reload. Well unless we end up with some kind of stupid ammo restrictions or stupid prices.

8. cowboywannabe

cowboywannabe you savvy?

my SKS and AK shoot steel case ammo as well as brass case. i use steel case almost exclusively because its cheaper.

9. Shoot it from a clean (everything denuded of cosmoline) and any ammo will do.

10. SCmasterblaster

Millennium Member

This is some good advice . . . . . :cool:

11. When I first bought my SKS I had a few slam fire incidents. Once I soaked all the internals in solvent and oiled them I never had another problem with any ammo shot. I only shoot the steel cased variety, the cheaper the better.

12. SCmasterblaster

Millennium Member

I wonder if an SKS can go full auto with slam-fires? That would be something to see. :cool:

13. I believe it was an SKS that a guy in the reloading section posted about when he was at the range and someone got shot. New shooter, new gun and the gun went full auto. Shooter panicked and threw the gun. When he threw the gun it shot the shooter.

I stripped the SKS down to all parts and cleaned every nook and cranny. Have not got to shoot it yet because the stock was absolutely loaded with cosmoline. Took many coats with over cleaner and a heat gun to get most of the cosmoline out. They the stock had to be sanded and finished. Looks purty now.

#12 dkf, Jan 17, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2013
  14. SCmasterblaster

Millennium Member

Wow - inexperienced shooters with guns.

15. FireForged

FireForged Millenium #3936
    Millennium Member

why are you guys using more expensive brass cased 762x39? just curious

16. Murray's firing pin = no slam-fire worries.