close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Situational awareness/Home defense

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by Snapper2, Jun 24, 2012.

1. Snapper2

Snapper2
    Expand Collapse

At the risk of sounding paranoid I've got a few questions.Doorbell rings while I'm handloading ammo:supergrin:. Wife and daughter are watching a movie in living room. I answer door (without ccw) and step outside to talk to a man and woman that say they work for kirby and want to give my house a free cleaning. While I'm in the process of sending them on their way my wife calls me back in the house to let me know that according to facebook people are scoping out houses in my neighborhood.:shocked: So I grab my ccw and go back out and tell them NOT INTERESTED.:steamed: This most likely is just a false alarm not worthy of calling police IMO, but I did go back out and watch them walk door to door down the street.So basically all I did was get their license number from their truck.Questions that I have is how are you supposed to handle door to door salesmen?

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. FatPants

FatPants
    Expand Collapse

I don't answer the door for anyone I don't know.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

3. Snapper2

Snapper2
    Expand Collapse

Not a bad answer, but I usually want to know why someone is in my yard or knocking on my door.

4. brob2425

brob2425
    Expand Collapse

Strangers offering to clean your house for free is a red flag right there. Jot down their plates and a good description of them and their vehicle in case you need it.

5. Sharky7

Sharky7
    Expand Collapse
    Boomshakalaka

Get a no solicitor sign and don't answer for them. Or open the door with a hotel or chain lock telling them you are not interested.

Find out if your city has an ordinance against soliciting door to door. Many cities/towns have ordinances that require their solicitors to register or get a permit with the city. Call the police if you think they are soliciting illegally or are suspicious in anyway.

Most of your residential burglaries actually occur during the day. Many people get caught up in their fantasies or watching too many movies and think someone is going to break in in the middle of the night - that's pretty rare. Most residential burglaries happen during the week during the day when everyone is away at work.

It's not uncommon for residential burglary crews to knock on the front and back doors or ring the doorbell first to make sure no one is home. I've investigated quite a few who pass out fake flyers or just claim to have run out of gas if someone actually answers the door. Most of them are hoping when they see you haven't got your mail, no noise from inside, and your newspaper is still on the driveway, and you don't answer the door - they hope you aren't home.

6. Jon_R

Jon_R
    Expand Collapse

I tell them no thanks but have a nice day. I look out the window at them before I answer no peep hole and almost always have my CW on me. Never felt there was any problem that required anything different.

7. Sharky7

Sharky7
    Expand Collapse
    Boomshakalaka

Be careful about stepping too far outside your home with them. Google gypsy scams and you will find out quite a bit of information.

I've seen quite a few gypsy scams where one guy will lure you outside to look at your roof, garage, yard, etc while 2 or 3 guys go inside your home to steal.

I am never a fan of people coming to my door trying to sell me crap. If I really needed your service, I will find you.

Anyone trying to sell magazine subscriptions door to door is going to be a dirt bag, so watch out for them.....Lots and lots of dirt bag magazine subscription groups go from city to city all over the USA. They are always run by skells and their "employees" are the types who can't even get a job in fast food. 4 or 5 stay in a hotel room in a city for the week and they work on commission only. They will claim to be college students working toward a trip or goal, but most are in their late 20's with extensive criminal records. If you pay in cash, don't expect to get your magazines. If people invite them into their homes, valuables go missing all the time.

8. Snapper2

Snapper2
    Expand Collapse

Yes, I'm second guessing myself for not getting ID from them instead of just sending them on their way.I did get the plate numbers.

9. Redheadhunter21

Redheadhunter21
    Expand Collapse

If I'm home alone, I stay inside door opening if others are home I will go outside and close door. I'm pretty good about knowing who is supposed to be at the door vs who is not. If they don't look right I'll just let them wait until they leave. I'm home during the day most of the time so Im at more risk than most.

Oh yea almost forgot I always put the tag number in my phone if they have a vehicle, let it sit for a week before deleting

#9 Redheadhunter21, Jun 24, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2012
  10. Snapper2

Snapper2
    Expand Collapse

All of this is good to know.Thanks. I do need a chainlock and a peephole too. If I'm armed(ccw) I usually meet them on the porch.

11. Snapper2

Snapper2
    Expand Collapse

Yes but then they go next door. If they are up to something they need to know theyre being watched.

12. Snapper2

Snapper2
    Expand Collapse

good points. But if they dont look right maybe racking a pump action shotgun from the inside and then set it down and answer....... may I help you?:supergrin: This is probably what I'm doing wrong....I always answer.:dunno:

13. H&K 4 LIFE

H&K 4 LIFE
    Expand Collapse
    Leonum A Ignis

If you felt it was worth arming yourself over, it was probably also at least worth reporting.

If you think it's suspicious activity then go with your gut. Relay any relevant information to the police and let them handle it. They may even subsequently increase the frequency of random patrols in your area.

Who knows, it could be nothing, or you could actually prevent someone else's house from being broken into.

#13 H&K 4 LIFE, Jun 24, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2012
  14. ranger1968

ranger1968
    Expand Collapse

Get a fence, and a gate;

you won't have that problem ever again.

15. 1canvas

1canvas
    Expand Collapse

I think of door knockers all the time cause if I'm not expecting you I don't answer the door. if I do answer I have a gun in hand behind my back and prepared to be rushed.

16. Snapper2

Snapper2
    Expand Collapse

The only reason I wasnt armed at the time is that I had my barrel out of my gun checking the hand loads I was making. But I guess your right on reporting it. Gut call. I decided not to. The facebook news/rumors are faster than the news. If you've got teens you stay informed.:rofl:That said, I did inform the neighbors.

17. Snapper2

Snapper2
    Expand Collapse

wow, I cant help but think that maybe the door knockers need to rethink their line of work.:rofl:

18. Snapper2

Snapper2
    Expand Collapse

And maybe a couple of bull mastiffs.:supergrin: Cool dogs.
    I'm still not use to this neighborhood living even after 7 years.

19. unit1069

unit1069
    Expand Collapse

Be careful; a current trend in home invasion robberies is to have a female ring the doorbell and when the unsuspecting residents answer (thinking a female isn't a threat) the male perps bust through suddenly and overwhelm the homeowners.

Always keep a locked door between you and anyone you don't know until you're sure nobody's lurking out of immediate sight. And keep all doors locked, night and day.

20. Snapper2

Snapper2
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for the warnings. Things I want to look into now are a peep hole and chain lock.