close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Sister is in bootcamp, what should I send her?

Discussion in 'The US Air Force Forum' started by phx223, Jul 21, 2009.

1. phx223

phx223
    Expand Collapse

Ok so I know that I couldn't get much when I went thru Navy boot camp, but that was the navy and seven years ago. What can/should I send my kid sister in bootcamp?

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. LilCop2002

LilCop2002
    Expand Collapse

If it was my sister, I would just send moral support via letters.

DO NOT put anything that would attract attention to her such as your proper rank, flags, or much of anything other than a white envelope, address, and a stamp.

Unless she writes and/or calls with a specific request, let her handle her own with letters to and from home and leave it at that. The amount of room for items sent and personal free time is extremely limited.

Check my Signature for how I know about this...

3. wrenrj1

wrenrj1
    Expand Collapse

NOTHING of substance: Let me recite..

"Dear Sis, hope you are doing well, I am fine. Mom and Dad are fine too. Your other siblings are well too and considering going in to the NAVY as they hear good things from you just like your older relatives that served with the NAVY with distinction, especially your grandfather ADMIRAL________(insert name here) who recently retired.

Respectfully (not love) your brother,

4. LilCop2002

LilCop2002
    Expand Collapse

That's a sure fire way to get her harassed throughout her time at BMT. I think I might just do it to my sister. :whistling:

5. Ralff

Ralff
    Expand Collapse

A guy in my flight got a rubber duck from some of his buddies back home. He had to stand in front of the flight and sing the rubber ducky song.

Candy and other items won't do much good. Letters should be about it. Any pictures will be looked at and probably made fun of by the TIs but as long as they aren't sexual in nature she should get to keep them after they are done with their fun.

6. MrMurphy

MrMurphy
    Expand Collapse
    Moderator Moderator Millennium Member Lifetime Member

I got a ton of letters from Pilotkitten (then my fiance), she knew better than to send anything else.

One guy, a fitness freak, got a package with a letter from his mom in it (the only reason he was allowed to open it). He retrieved the letter, looked inside, cussed and just got down and started doing pushups. His church college group had loaded it with all sorts of junk food and candy he NEVER ate...

We had the option of him picking 10 guys to eat as much as we could in a few minutes, or tossing all of it and doing something else related to our standing in the squadron competition (can't remember what right now), which is what we ended up doing.

7. LilCop2002

LilCop2002
    Expand Collapse

Guess the OP isn't too interested in us, Mr. Murphy. :wavey:

8. ravenkeeper98

ravenkeeper98
    Expand Collapse
    NRA Benefactor

+1 on that.

Does she have an AFSC yet? (Job)

9. wrenrj1

wrenrj1
    Expand Collapse

I specifically told my parents to NOT send me anything related to my 18th birthday that occurred during Army BCT WAY back in 1981...Times were a bit different (and even worse prior), forget any type of privacy etc. I wonder how many postal regulations the military has broken just to allow D.I.'s to ridicule trainees, but in retrospect, I got thru it...

10. GeorgiaGlocker

GeorgiaGlocker
    Expand Collapse
    Incirlik AB

Just letters of encouragement. I enlisted in 1975 and one guy received a box of candy hearts from his mom. He never lived that down. I will always remember this: there are two things you never, ever do in front of your TI. Laugh and cry. Some learned the hard way.

11. txleapd

txleapd
    Expand Collapse
    Hook 'Em Up

Send her a letter with "Happy Birthday!!!" written on the outside of the envelope one one side, and "Squids suck" on the other (assuming it's also the Navy. Just insert whichever branch if not).... :supergrin:

12. Mongosafari

Mongosafari
    Expand Collapse
    El diablo verde

USAF BMT 1982 Lackland AFB, TX
    She doesn't need anything except letters of encouragement. No food, candy, soap etc. Everything is provided or she can get there. It's over in a few weeks.

13. ravenkeeper98

ravenkeeper98
    Expand Collapse
    NRA Benefactor

8 weeks now, little different from when I went through in '90. They even have to carry around an inert M-16 during basic now.

14. lucksthename

lucksthename
    Expand Collapse
    USAF enlisted

ravenkeeper, I noticed your in sumter SC, Shaw afb. I also am staioned at Shaw. Where do you go to shoot? I compete at Mid Carolina Rifle club, in IDPA and USPSA. also what squadron?

15. ravenkeeper98

ravenkeeper98
    Expand Collapse
    NRA Benefactor

When I get the chance to get away from the family I usually head over to Manchester. 20AMXS

16. LilCop2002

LilCop2002
    Expand Collapse

GUess the OP is gone. Should we just highjack the thread now?

17. lauren044

lauren044
    Expand Collapse

Send her only letters of encouragement.....take it from a retired TI.....thats all she needs.......

18. NeverMore1701

NeverMore1701
    Expand Collapse
    Fear no Evil
    Platinum Member
    1. Glock Talk's Drunk Squad

I got letters, pictures, candy, energy bars, snacks, all sorts of stuff. We had 10 minutes per mail call to eat and/or share whatever we wanted, then we tossed the rest. Only the PT fails got any special attention if they ate stuff. That was Army MP OSUT, 2005.

Oh, had my mom send me a towel, too. I purchased an extra of the crappy little towels they issue, sent it to her, and she got a color matched blanket sized super soft towel for me. That thing was heaven, I'd stick it in the dryer when I went in to shower, so it was nice and toasty when I got out. Loved it.

19. Big Time

Big Time
    Expand Collapse
    Senior User

Prepaid phone cards,stamps,postcards.:supergrin:

20. Morris

Morris
    Expand Collapse
    CLM

Hell yeah Lil!

Soo, who remembers the poor schlep that was too stupid not to mow the fire ant hills?

Who remembers the empty bunker at Medina that USED to house a nuke?

Anyone remember the lonely outpost of Uncle Sam's Misguided Children as they attended Mil Dog training?

For Lil cop, where is the LLC (lame, lazy and crazy) squadron these days?

Nurses still as hot in Wilford Hall?

Still yelling out "Nut to butt! Nut to butt!" to the young'uns in chow line?

:)