close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

sinus infection

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by *ASH*, Oct 7, 2012.

1. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Tewwowist

Apr 23, 2008
    Rancher I had this done 1/11 along with a septoplasty. Most miserable experience of my life. They found I had a pseudomonas infx which ultimately required aerosol vancomycin for 30days.

However, while I've had a few sinus infxs over the last year I've only needed antibiotics once. They typically last 5 days or so and are FAR less severe and debilitating.

I can't say that I'd do it again but I'm glad its done.

2. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Tewwowist

Apr 23, 2008
    Correct. Its a precursor to methamphetamine.

3. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Tewwowist

Apr 23, 2008
    check out the waterpick style battery powered ones. awesome

4. GAFinch

GAFinch

Feb 23, 2009
    Georgia
    No, but infections breed in clogged up sinuses. Sudafed drains the sinuses and results in the infection clearing up quickly instead of getting worse. It's best not to use antibiotics for things unless you really need to.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2012
  5. Historian

Historian NRA Benefactor Lifetime Member

Twice a year I deal with the alergy season. Nothing but time helps. I chew lots of gum, drink lots of fluids and take Claertin D...not that I think it helps speed things along or not. It takes up to a month to get better.

I use a neti pot as well.

6. Had a killer one back in '83(?). Had to get my eardrums lanced & drained, which, scary as it was, brought incredible relief. My head actually felt lighter and sense of balance was restored. Still my teeth hurt and nasal passages blocked, so started a course of antibiotics and a stronger decongestant...

I eventually blew out a booger that was solid, about the size of my index finger, and covered in bloody slime. It only came out part of the way; I had to grab & pull it out, an odd sensation; felt like it had roots behind my left eyeball! :shocked:

7. MDLibertarian

MDLibertarian NRA Life Member

Feb 20, 2007
    Columbia, MD
    I hadn't heard that before, but it's yet another good reason why only distilled water should be used in them and state so in the directions, at least the ones made by NeilMed do.

Hmmm, a pressure washer for the sinuses may not be a bad idea. Do you have a link to any models you know of?

I've had one of those monsters come out before and it certainly felt odd, just like how you described the one you had did.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2012
  8. Since you mention NeilMed, they have this model:
    [ame="http://www.amazon.com/NeilMed-Sinugator-Cordless-Pulsating-Nasal/dp/B005UO6NRA/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1349647907&sr=8-8"]Amazon.com: NeilMed Sinugator Cordless Pulsating Nasal Wash: Health & Personal Care@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61U6a5ye1LL.@@AMEPARAM@@61U6a5ye1LL[/ame]

I have used Neti pots and the NeilMed Sinus Rinse, but not this powered model.

-ArtificialGrape

9. janice6

janice6 Silver Member

Apr 4, 2006
    minnesota
    My life long sinus Infections and Migraines went away a short while (few years) ago.

I definitely know of what you speak.

BUT!!!!! This year if have almost been incapacitated by sudden onset of allergies. I never had them before, but his year is killing me, with headaches, sneezing, eyes watering and nasal congestion.

After this year, I haven't made up my mind which problem is worse.

Good luck with yours, and I hope someone finds a solution for you.

10. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

Mar 23, 2003
    >^..^<
    It has to be LOCAL honey and the closer to your home you can get it, the better it is for this purpose--it will contain more local allegens. You have to take it for at least six months to build up in your system so it's not going to be a quick fix.

11. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

Mar 23, 2003
    >^..^<
    Migraines and sinus headaches can effect the same nerves. It's actually a pretty common link.

12. [​IMG]

13. BAILIFF

BAILIFF Piece Officer

Oct 14, 2006
    I'm over here now.
  14. Whatever you do...don't load a neti pot with warm water and hydrogen peroxide and use it.

I thought I was going to die, and my doctor almost hurt his back laughing at me the next day.

15. Historian

Historian NRA Benefactor Lifetime Member

It's not a tumma!

16. I have a can of this that I leave at the hotel along with other stuff that I don't want to haul through airport security twice a week, but it has 2 drawbacks.

1) it cost $7.29 for a small volume of pressurized saline, and 2) it is a low volume flush whereas I prefer to flush 8 ounces with a NeilMed Sinus Rinse when possible.

However, I knew those limitations when I bought it, and for something that I leave at the hotel, and not having to deal with buying distilled water and sanitizing a bottle, it serves its purpose.

-ArtificialGrape

17. janice6

janice6 Silver Member

Apr 4, 2006
    minnesota

I agree 100%. But for most of my life no Doctor would agree with me so I had to deal with them on my own.

18. Jeremy_K

Jeremy_K

Apr 6, 2009
    NY
    Try Advil cold and sinus liqui-gels. You have to bring a card to the pharmacist for them because they contain ephedrine. That's the only over the counter med that My wife and I have had work. If it's really bad then those coupled with an antibiotic and lots of caffeine helps. I know a couple people who have had the surgery and they didn't last long before the sinus problems came back. It sounds like a terribly painful surgery too.

19. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

Mar 23, 2003
    >^..^<
    That is BS. Of course, I had one doctor write me a script for Dilaudid for migraines and send me on my merry way for a month!!! Yes, Dilaudid! I asked for steroids and he gave me Dilaudid!!