close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Single Stage or Turret?

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by gforester, Oct 10, 2011.

1. gforester

gforester Motorhead

Feb 1, 2009
    Cocoa, FL
    I currently have a Dillon XL650 for doing my handgun loads. I am wanting to start loading for my Springfield 03A3. I'm considering getting another press to set up just for the 30.06 ammo instead of doing all the changes needed to run a few boxes of 30.06 off from time to time on the Dillon. Ifigure by the time I buy all the parts to set up the Dillon it wouldn't be that much more to just get a dedicated setup in a single stage or turret press.

I have been mulling over the idea of getting a Lee or RCBS single stage or maybe even a nice second hand turret to use for this. For the limited amount of cartridges I would be loading for the rifle would a single stage be ok? Would I be better off getting a economically priced turret instead? How does the Lee compare to the RCBS?

I have seen a few decent deals on eBay for both Lee and RCBS but I don't want to buy anything without input. Any experiences you guys could share or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

2. dkf

dkf

Aug 6, 2010
    I just bought a Lee Classic Turret. I plan to load .357sig, .357mag and 30-06 on it to start. For around $100 its a solid press. It would be nice having the turret in case you wanted to reload a smaller quanity of pistol in the future (or maybe even .223) and don't want to disturb your 650.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2011

3. Fwdftw

Fwdftw

Apr 18, 2009
    Hernando MS
    Man, if your doing limited loading id stick with the single stage ..unless you could find a lct cheaper ? I'd stay away from the other turret (horrible primer system ). Just my input.

4. For 308 I bought a Lee Classic Cast and then put in the Hornady Lock and Load conversion kit.

I think to re size your 30-06 you will need something like a single stage. It was next to impossible to re size with my LNL AP.

Good luck.

5. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

Nov 2, 2006
    CO
    LCT will resize the 30.06. I have a friend who loads his on one.

6. gforester

gforester Motorhead

Feb 1, 2009
    Cocoa, FL
    So, the Lee has a better priming system than the RCBS? It appears either the Lee Classic SS or Lee classic Turret may be the way to go, is that the general consensus?

7. GioaJack

GioaJack Conifer Jack

Apr 14, 2009
    Conifer, CO
    I would think the priming system would be a non-issue, Since you're going to be loading a fairly limited number of rounds as opposed to thousands of pistol rounds you'd probably want to hand prime them anyway.

Jack

8. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

Nov 2, 2006
    CO
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2011
  9. D. Manley

D. Manley

May 30, 2005
    Southern US
    For rifle, this. IMHO, the single-stage is still "king-of-the-hill" for accurate rifle rounds. My preference would be a Forster CoAxial but there's a lot to be said for the value of a Lee Classic Cast...it's a beast of a press.

10. unclebob

unclebob

Oct 14, 2000
    Mary Esther FL
    It would be cheaper and faster to load them just on the 650.Just to name a few. You would need a way to prime, another powder dispenser, loading blocks, etc. I have gone from loading 9mm to loading 20, 45 ACP faster on the 650 than if I was to do it with my single stage press, even with the changeover. If you had a couple of different small batches of rounds that you load for, then getting an LCT. Then to me would make since. But for just one, No.

11. Zombie Steve

Zombie Steve Decap Pin Killa

May 31, 2007
    Old Colorado City
    Single Stage will be plenty for the limited loading you're talking about. Like Jack said, prime by hand. It's nice to feel the primer being seated.

12. johnjohn

johnjohn

May 24, 2009
    Baton Rouge La.
    I have both a turret and a single stage (Lymans) and much prefer the single stage to reload rifle ammo. I started with the turret not intending to load anything but handgun stuff,and it's fine for that. The single has less "play"and in my opinion better suited to longer rifle brass.

13. gforester

gforester Motorhead

Feb 1, 2009
    Cocoa, FL
    Thanks for all the input guys. I think I will just go with a single stage since I will only be reloading for my 03A3 with it.

Now that I have that decided I only need to decide which one. I have seen a few good deals on the Hornady LNL Classic. Is that one any better than a Lee, RCBS or Lyman press? Are there some positive features of any of these that would make them better than any of the others?

14. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

Nov 2, 2006
    CO
    I prefer the Breech Lock on the Lee over the LnL. Especially the setup that has the lock ring built in to it.

Least expensive I would buy is the Lee Classic Cast. Rock Chucker, is the default standard. Some people prefer the Lee to the RC.

Did you look at those links and videos I posted?

15. gforester

gforester Motorhead

Feb 1, 2009
    Cocoa, FL
    Yes I did, thank you for posting them.

Midway has some 10% discounts going on right now so I might even be ordering from them instead of finding something on eBay. Wideners also has some good prices on presses.

16. unclebob

unclebob

Oct 14, 2000
    Mary Esther FL
    Did not look at the others, but Natchez has the Lee Cast press and Breech Lock for $89.99.

17. fredj338

fredj338

Dec 22, 2004
    so.cal.
    Most guys loading on a ss press prime off the press w/ a hand priming tool. Easier, faster & better feel. I load on a 550 & 650 & still load most of my 8 diff rifle calibers on a ss press. Just get a heavy duty one like the Lee CC or RCBS RCII, even better, the RCBS AmmoMaster. Then if you decide to go really big down the road (large African rounds or 50BMG), you won't need another press.:supergrin:

18. Zombie Steve

Zombie Steve Decap Pin Killa

May 31, 2007
    Old Colorado City
    You just won't be disappointed with a RCBS Rockchucker. :thumbsup:

19. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

Nov 2, 2006
    CO
    Lee CC loads the 50BMG as well.