close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Single Shot- Shotgun?

Discussion in 'Tactical Shotguns' started by drider, Dec 6, 2010.

1. drider

drider
    Expand Collapse

Hi all,

I have on my mind a full time truck gun, specifically a single shot shotgun! My local gun shop has them on sale for like $120, but the problem is it comes with a 28" barrel. Do you guys suggest cutting it down to 18", do most gunsmiths cut down barrels? Or is this something I can do, I have a hack saw!

Sincerely,

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. jbh2000

jbh2000
    Expand Collapse

Not much more at Academy for Mossberg's Maverick in an 18.5" or H & R's Partner at Big 5. Five or six rounds vs. one, that neat pump sound and all those cool advantages. OR, the local pawn shops should have something suitable in pumps (hard to screw up a pump) for even less. But yes, you can cut off your barrel with a hack saw (I'd recommend a good blade) but it may not be too pretty if you saw like me.

3. mlyon55

mlyon55
    Expand Collapse

Most gunsmiths should have the cutting tools and should not charge too much for it. But I would go with a pump as well for just a little more money.

4. paperairplane

paperairplane
    Expand Collapse

I have an H&R Topper single 12ga - one of my favorite field guns. Light, swings super fast, simple code of arms and almost nothing to break / fail.

Mine was at pawn shop for $75. Refinished the stocks and stained black. Added a butt cuff for faster reloads and a limbsaver to reduce recoil. It is my favorite squirrel gun.

If you don't think it will do HD - search for Clint Smith single shot shotgun video.

5. aippi

aippi
    Expand Collapse

Yes, Clint Smith not only shoots well, he shoots down all this Tacti-fool mess that gets posted on these web sites. I am of the Clint Smith School of common sence and keeping it simple. This means I don't sell a lot of AI&P Tactical shotguns but I damn sure sell them to smart people.

#5 aippi, Dec 6, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2010
  6. MrMurphy

MrMurphy
    Expand Collapse
    Moderator Moderator Millennium Member Lifetime Member

It wouldn't be my first choice, but it'll certainly get the job done if you only need 1 or 2 rounds.

Several friends have kept 12 or 20ga NEF singles with a five round butt cuff on hand in their trucks for last ditch defense (they have pistols) putting down roadkill (wounded deer from car strikes, etc) and other things.

7. Deaf Smith

Deaf Smith
    Expand Collapse

Why Single.. I got my Double Stevens 311A in. 18.5 inch SBS 12 guage. Don't kick bad either. But I found with full loads the tang safety comes on after each shot. The ball and spring under the safety is weak (and that is why you test your guns before you pack them!)

I'll fix that and take the stock down 2 inches next week. Instead of a recoil pad I'll put a solid butt plate (better to butt stroke with!)

And yes, Clint Smith (and John Farnam if you read his Quips) believe in simplicity. They see all kinds of 'tactical' gear fall off in classes.

Deaf

8. drider

drider
    Expand Collapse

Thanks guys.

9. Notallthere

Notallthere
    Expand Collapse

To the OP, you took the words right out of my mouth! I was going to post the exact same question. Mostly my experience has been that pump shotguns ALWAYS have some kind of hangup. I thought for a while maybe I wasn't holding my hair the right way. Simple is better. Those single shot guns go for about $130 brand new in my area. I'm plotten on gettin me one real soon.

10. -gunut-

-gunut-
    Expand Collapse

If you wanna chop it yourself, it is easy with a hack saw and a file to make it flat. Don't go too short!

11. drider

drider
    Expand Collapse

For sights after I chop it, makers have a clip on front sight correct me if i'm wrong.

12. David Armstrong

David Armstrong
    Expand Collapse

The single shot makes a great truck gun. Inexpensive and reliable, plus you don't feel real torn up when it gets banged up. But rather than cut off the barrel, I would suggest looking for an H&R or similar with the 22" barrel, or one of the older models that came with the shorter barrel.

13. wrenrj1

wrenrj1
    Expand Collapse

There are some new HD short double barrel SG's out there that you might want to consider. Also add in the cost of a gunsmith cutting the barrel.

14. PeaceKeeper

PeaceKeeper
    Expand Collapse

15. Deployment Solu

Deployment Solu
    Expand Collapse
    Kydex Crafter

Choate Machine & Tool ( A GT Advertiser) makes a Mark 6 stock for the H&R Single Shot Shotguns & Rifles that holds 6 rds of .308/5 rds of 12ga/or 5 rds 0f 20ga.in the stock. Give you the availability of extra ammo close and convenient if you choose a single shot shotgun.

16. drider

drider
    Expand Collapse

Thanks guys!