close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Simple Fix or Not? XP Butchered by AVG

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by costanza187, Sep 2, 2008.

1. costanza187

costanza187
    Expand Collapse
    I like Macs

I was wondering if there was a simple fix for my XP problem. I have a desktop here that I do not use a lot. A. Because it's a desktop, and B. it's Windows. But anyhoo...

It was running FINE until the other day when AVG updated. I had a message on my screen asking for a restart after the AVG updated and since then the computer is somewhat disabled.

A cannot run Firefox, I cannot run Internet Explorer.....or Microsoft Word. These programs crash upon opening them. I have tried resetting a few times, no help from that. If it wasn't for being unable to use Microsoft Word, I would probably not even care. Unfortunately I kind of need Word. I can still use Opera, Safari, iTunes and Excel thankfully.

I was wondering if anybody had experienced this, and if there was an EASY fix, or should I just buck up and reformat the HD.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. silentpoet

silentpoet
    Expand Collapse

Openoffice can manage word documents. Not a fix but it is a work around.

3. GixxerSixxer

GixxerSixxer
    Expand Collapse
    Phil Deez Nutz

First try the last restore point if you've made some.

Next disable AVG. Maybe uninstall AVG. Then try and run the programs.

If those won't work you can DL Portable Office which is Open Office that will fit on a USB drive. Portable Office will run MS Word docs. Another option is Abiword for a word processor.

4. Razrbk444

Razrbk444
    Expand Collapse
    Sumthin' Witty
    Silver Member

I'd try a restore point, and uninstall then reinstall AVG or go with Avast. Good luck.

5. costanza187

costanza187
    Expand Collapse
    I like Macs

Cool TFTI, I am gonna try that restore point thing and getting rid of avg first. I am trying to avoid a reformat because I have my iTunes and iPhone exactly how I want it, and don't want to risk messing that up.

Next step if that doesn't fix it, open office time :)

6. costanza187

costanza187
    Expand Collapse
    I like Macs

Alrighty... I am back. I tried a number of Restore Points, NONE worked, always got the message saying it was unable to restore to whenever it was I tried to restore to.

HOWEVER I did get lucky in that, I REMOVED AVG from my computer and voila... EVERYTHING is working again. :banana:

Right now I am unprotected, I am gonna go grab Avast 'cause everybody needs protection.

7. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak
    Expand Collapse
    KO Windows

He he.. Not everybody...

http://www.ubuntu.com

As I said in another thread, I was pretty disappointed w/ the newest version of AVG. it had always been my favorite over Avast, but the newest version is horrible. Avast should serve you fine...

IGF