close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Silvertip, XTP, or Gold Dot?

Discussion in 'The 10 Ring' started by oldways, Apr 25, 2012.

1. oldways

oldways phat&ghey

Nov 20, 2008
    pensacola, fl
    What would you guys recommend ?

The use would be smaller hogs, small deer, feral dogs, and two legged varmits.

Gun is a Delta Elite. Ammo would be factory Hornady 180 or 200, Winchester Silvertip, or Underwood 180 Gold Dot @ 1200.

2. I like any of those choices for what you describe.

I would stick with the Underwood 180 GD, or the Silvertips more for 2 legged predators and varmints. I would go with one of the XTP's for hogs.

3. Wolf Spyder

Wolf Spyder Gun Activist

May 26, 2002
    Central Ohio
    I personally like Winchester 175gr. Silvertip JHP's for almost everything.

[​IMG]

However, I also like 165gr. Gold Dot JHP's in front of 10.2 grains of 800-X. It is hard to beat a 10mm JHP that expands to 1.200 inches.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. arushus

arushus Biggest Member

Jul 22, 2011
    NE Oklahoma
  5. Angry Fist

Angry Fist Dehumanizer® Lifetime Member

Dec 30, 2009
    Hellbilly Hill
    XTP for everything but milk jugs. Then, I gotta grab a Nosler.

6. gofastman

gofastman

Jan 29, 2010
    MN
    From what I have gathered in my research, XTP's are really tough and like to be moved FAST. Hornady loads their ammo a little on the slow side and tends not to get optimal performance from their bullets.

Of the choices you listed I would go with the 180gr GD@1200

I have no real knowledge or interest in Silvertips

7. Andrew Wiggin

Andrew Wiggin

Dec 15, 2011
    For the animals, any of those bullets look good. They are all pretty tough, except that the Silvertip often sheds its jacket. For people, the Gold Dots or Silvertips would be a better choice than XTPs. As tough as the XTP is, it does not perform well through clothing or barriers.

8. gofastman

gofastman

Jan 29, 2010
    MN
    And the Silvertip does? (honest curiosity)

9. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

Jul 26, 2002
    The XTP is a tuff bullet and has excellent penetration quality even out of a G20 at 100yd deer !

GD's are a very good choice for the 2 legged felons as are the XTP's. Bothe the XTP and the GD's are good for small pigs.

I use all HC bullets of my own loading for everything, but from time to time I do load up XTP's and GD's. I like the GD's heavy for caliber and bonded if I can find them.

Good luck.

CM

10. Andrew Wiggin

Andrew Wiggin

Dec 15, 2011
    I don't know. The Gold Dot does really well through clothing and barriers and the XTP does really poorly. I haven't seen the data on the Silvertip so I can't say one way or another.

11. I've always been a Gold Dot fan. In all calibers and weights. The best expension and consistency in my experience.

12. Josrah

Josrah

Apr 21, 2012
    I put Gold dot in all my guns. Even my wife .380

13. oldways

oldways phat&ghey

Nov 20, 2008
    pensacola, fl
    Guys, I appreciate all the responses. Thanks to all of you.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2012
  14. Andrew Wiggin

Andrew Wiggin

Dec 15, 2011
    Sorry for the hijack but .380 probably shouldn't be loaded with any JHP. I like Gold Dots a lot too but .380 suffers from inadequate penetration with any expanding ammo. Probably best to stick to ball in .380.

15. Angry Fist

Dec 30, 2009
    Hellbilly Hill
    I agree. Just wouldn't feel secure enough.

16. Maine1

Maine1

Jul 20, 2007
    Maine
    where does the data on the XTP's weaknesses come from? I use them almost exclusivley, and would like to know.

17. Pred8tory

Pred8tory Retired Copper Lifetime Member

Apr 2, 2002
    Metro Cleveland
    XTPs all the way.

18. Andrew Wiggin

Andrew Wiggin

Dec 15, 2011
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5pWEU8qX7g"]Hornady 38 Special 158gr XTP ballistic gel test - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4maUoXvAm-4&feature=relmfu"].357 SIG Hornady XTP 147 gr AMMO TEST - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwBckM2GQQ4"]Hornady TAP FPD .40 S&W 155 gr JHP SIM-TEST w/denim - YouTube[/ame]

The XTP by design, doesn't expand as aggressively as other bullets. When fired through 4 layers of denim it sometimes doesn't expand much at all. Other times it expands moderately and other times it doesn't expand.

I've mentioned before that the XTP makes a fine hunting bullet. Its intentionally controlled expansion results in great penetration. It is somewhat erratic when fired through denim, in comparison to Gold Dot, Ranger T, or other modern JHPs. That makes it less than ideal in my opinion. Can it expand? Sure. If you are aware of the limitations and choose it anyway, that's fine by me.

Last edited: May 1, 2012
  19. Angry Fist

Dec 30, 2009
    Hellbilly Hill
    How fast are those rounds going, in those three calibers?

20. [​IMG]

This photo is awesome. I cannot imagine why anyone would not want to use this for self defense. This, to me, is like the perfect expansion. This photo is exactly why I jumped on the Underwood 165gr. GDs on my last order. I feel like I have to stock up before the word gets out to the general public.