Glock Talk banner

Silver/brown bear ammo

1K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  geo57 
#1 ·
I assume its dirty junk. Am I wrong. I won't shoot wolf, thats my baseline.

#2 · (Edited)
I've shot all three. I shoot Silver almost exclusively now (9mm $8.75 from sgammo). It works fine. All three work fine. I don't like Brown because of the smell it leaves on the gun.

None of them seem any more or less dirty than Federal or WWB or Blazer.

#5 ·
I've shot all three. I shoot Silver almost exclusively now (9mm $8.75 from sgammo). It works fine. All three work fine. I don't like Brown because of the smell it leaves on the gun.

None of them seem any more or less dirty than Federal or WWB or Blazer.
thats a good endorsement. I was looking through SG myself. Have you tried other calibers than 9?

Hows the accuracy?

#7 ·
thats a good endorsement. I was looking through SG myself. Have you tried other calibers than 9?

Hows the accuracy?
I've only tried 9mm in those three brands. Accuracy seems on par with anything else but I don't bench test accuracy, I just plink away. :supergrin:

#8 · (Edited)
I don't think any of those three are steel core, at least in pistol calibers. Steel cased, yes. I could be wrong.
No, you are not wrong.

The vast majority of all Russian ammo imported (Tula, Ulyanovsk, Novobirsk, Barnaul) use lead cored bullets with mild steel for bullet jackets, which they call Bi-metal (they take thin sheets of metal and press it between 2 layers of gilding metal and form the bullet jackets from these sheets).

I have encountered WOLF brand 9mm ammo made by Tula that states "copper" as the bullet jacket and these bullets are all non-magnetic. Some of their rifle ammo also use "copper" (gilding metal) jackets, but you have to look specifically for "copper" printed on the front of the boxes for these non-magnetic bulleted rounds.

#9 ·
I've been using the Silver Bear in 9x18Mak and highly recommend it. I've avoided the Brown Bear, which is a little cheaper because I've heard it is very stinky. Also, the BB uses lacquer coating on the shell casings to retard rusting which can lead to lacquer build up, while the SB is zinc plated. Both are less desirable than brass when it comes to humidity but for cheap practice ammo, I've found the SB ideal.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.