close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Silly RAID question

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by aspartz, Nov 13, 2005.

1. aspartz

aspartz

Oct 19, 2000
    Sandstone, MN 55072
    I am getting a motherboard w/ a Promise FastTrak 100 raid controller built in. My existing system has a PCI ATA card w/ two drives that are both pretty much full. Question: Can I attach these drives to the RAID connections and use them each as individual drives w/ losing any of the data already there?

ARS

2. Tennessee Slim

Tennessee Slim Señor Member CLM

Apr 14, 2004
    Mucus City, USA
    I’ve done it with a FastTrak 66 so I’m guessing ‘yes’. I configured it for four separate arrays which, naturally, could each only contain one HDD. I think it was RAID1 that let me do this.

3. pyblood

pyblood

Dec 22, 2003
    Mississippi
    You should be able to do this. Don’t hook up the drive and try to create a RAID array. If you do, it could format your hard drives. Just enable the controller in our bios as “base” or something like that. Don’t enable it as RAID. I would install my OS w/o those drives connected and then add those two drives after the OS has been installed to prevent accidentally formatting those drives during the OS setup.

I have a computer that has a built in ATA controller card that can be used to set up a RAID array. I just use it for additional storage like you want to do.