close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Silly RAID question

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by aspartz, Nov 13, 2005.

1. aspartz

aspartz
    Expand Collapse

I am getting a motherboard w/ a Promise FastTrak 100 raid controller built in. My existing system has a PCI ATA card w/ two drives that are both pretty much full. Question: Can I attach these drives to the RAID connections and use them each as individual drives w/ losing any of the data already there?

ARS

2. Tennessee Slim

Tennessee Slim
    Expand Collapse
    Señor Member
    CLM

I’ve done it with a FastTrak 66 so I’m guessing ‘yes’. I configured it for four separate arrays which, naturally, could each only contain one HDD. I think it was RAID1 that let me do this.

3. pyblood

pyblood
    Expand Collapse

You should be able to do this. Don’t hook up the drive and try to create a RAID array. If you do, it could format your hard drives. Just enable the controller in our bios as “base” or something like that. Don’t enable it as RAID. I would install my OS w/o those drives connected and then add those two drives after the OS has been installed to prevent accidentally formatting those drives during the OS setup.

I have a computer that has a built in ATA controller card that can be used to set up a RAID array. I just use it for additional storage like you want to do.