Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

  • Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Silly 1911 magazine question

Discussion in '1911 Forums' started by SIG-SOG, Jun 11, 2010.

  1. SIG-SOG


    Dec 23, 2009
    Most 1911's I've seen have a mag that when in the gun is flat / flush with the bottom of the gun. Others I've seen have something on the end of the mag that extends down past the magwell(?).

    What is that, and what is it for?
  2. Jim Watson

    Jim Watson

    Jul 10, 2001
    Base pad, bump pad, drop pad... various names.
    The purpose is to give something to push against to seat the magazine positively without pinching the hand. Also acts to cushion the magazine when dropped in an emergency reload, but that is not the main benefit.

  3. Quack

    Quack Rent this space

    Jan 7, 2002
    NE Ohio
    some mags are that way so they have 8rds instead of 7rds.
    the extended base pads also help inserting a mag into a gun that has a magwell.
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2010