close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Silent Ammo

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by Angry Fist, Aug 28, 2011.

1. Angry Fist

Angry Fist Dehumanizer® Lifetime Member

I have heard about a revolver that was used in Vietnam that fired a low velocity round that trapped the gasses inside the case. Used by "tunnel rats" or something.

Anyone smell what I'm steppin' in? :dunno:

2. Smashy

Smashy

If the gases are trapped inside the case, what pushes the bullet down the bore?

3. Angry Fist

The way it was described, the bullet is seated deep, and a piece of metal is behind it. When fired, it acts like a piston. The bullet is driven out, but the metal piece stops at the end of the case. The guy said it was similar to a .410 slug, but with a brass case. I don't know. Very low power.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2011
  4. Novocaine

Novocaine

The piston behind the bullet. The piston never leaves the shell. In autos when the casing is ejected it is pressurized, needs to be treated with caution. Russians still use this type of guns in combat.

5. Angry Fist

Yes. But it was a .40 cal revolver, IIRC.

6. Angry Fist

No gasses, no noise. No collapsed tunnels due to gunshots. Think avalanche? :dunno:

7. Herb Twoleaf

Herb Twoleaf qxPfZzhK

I'd want a .45 with several mags, and some Radians or something.

In WWII they had the Welrod, but had to cycle by hand.

8. Angry Fist

Interesting weapon I've never heard of.

[​IMG]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Welrod

9. southernshooter

southernshooter

I just thought they used 1911's. Maybe a few .38 special revolvers.

10. sgtlmj

sgtlmj NRA Life Member Millennium Member

It would have to be some kind of wonky cartridge. Awfully hard to suppress a revolver otherwise, with the cylinder gap.

Knight Arms Co., had a prototype suppressed revolver that fired a bottleneck case that had a special lube. The lube bridged the very narrow cylinder gap and prevented gasses from escaping. I remember reading an article about it decades ago. Haven't heard about it since.

11. Angry Fist

Yessir. The gun has nothing to do with it. It's all about the ammo. The cartridge is supposed to seal itself. The gun has nothing to do with it, as I heard it. But I'll take any information I can! :patriot:

12. Sheepdog Scout

Sheepdog Scout Behind you!

Back during the late 60's and the very early 70's an aerospace and defense development firm called AAI rebuilt some Smith and Wesson 29's to make their QSPR. (Quiet Special Purpose Revolver). They had cut down barrels, were smoothbore and the cylinders were re-purposed to take special cartridges that looked similar to the .410. AA1 also developed the ammo and it functions pretty much that others have already described. The gun was tested in the field, but never, officially anyways, ever entered service.

Found this:
    http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=47834
    Read the top post. It explains it much more in depth than I could.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2011
  13. Novocaine

Novocaine

Are you referring to Russians or “tunnel rats”? The Russians build and use both revolver and automatic. Neither is officially adopted though as far as I know.

Nagant revolvers lend themselves to be suppressed because of the self-sealing cylinder. Mitin brothers pretty much put silenced Nagant on the map. They are most famous for the conventional BRAMIT device (BRAtiya MITiny) but they had bunch of other cool designs and had influenced pretty much everything that was happening in USSR silencer-wise in the first half of the century.

One of their designs somewhat related to this thread was originally developed, again, for Nagant. Imagine second cylinder fitted at the muzzle; it was timed to rotate together with the “main” cylinder. It would let the bullet through but catch the special wad that was following the bullet. The wad would basically trap the gasses inside the barrel. Then the cylinder would rotate slowly releasing gases and moving an empty through hole in alignment with the muzzle for the next shot. After all the rounds were fired you’d have to empty all the wads collected by the “muzzle” cylinder.

The kicker is that I saw a picture of a modern beltfed machine gun equipped with the same type of drum at the muzzle.

Also there is a piece of hardware working on the similar principle that IS officially adopted by the Russians, is currently issued and been used since early 70-ies. It’s a 30mm underbarrel grenade launcher. The “engine” is a blank 5.45 fed from 10 round mag. Expanding gasses act upon a piston that never leaves the barrel. Grenade is riding in front of the piston. 30mm requires a specially modified gun. Usually it’s attached to a suppressed AKMS (“Silence”) and in some rare cases to suppressed AKSU (“Canary”).

14. Angry Fist

Very interesting! Thanks for researching that, guys. I wonder what the legalities on owning such things are.

15. Angry Fist

Cool, even kwikrnu posted there.

16. Sheepdog Scout

Sheepdog Scout Behind you!

Well that thread was from nearly 2 years ago.:supergrin:

17. Smashy

Smashy

That's interesting, I've never heard of it.