close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Silencers

Discussion in 'Free Fire Zone' started by BRoberts243, Nov 20, 2010.

1. FPNunes

FPNunes
    Expand Collapse

Very nice. Must be a joy to shoot.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. G21ACPBeliever

G21ACPBeliever
    Expand Collapse

Very true! Very true. Next thing you know some techie at ATF is showing the boss how to track terrorists through personal ID tracers left in the meta when you posted that and as an "experiment" they knock on your door & ask in exactly what scenario were you shooting at what and using a coke bottle to suppress the sound for what reason? Hmm? BIG can of worms on that one! :crying:

Also, why has no one mentioned the reason that they are generally outlawed in the US? To the best of my knowledge it was because a bullet that passes through a suppressor becomes ballistically changed and the slug can no longer be matched to the rifling of the barrel of the gun it was fired from for a ballistic match to be used as evidence in a trial.

#22 G21ACPBeliever, Nov 20, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2010
  3. TkFF

TkFF
    Expand Collapse

To answer your question, they are not generally outlawed. I believe 35 or so states allow civilian ownership. As to "ballistically changed" part, once the bullet leaves the barrel, the bullet never touches the interior of the suppressor to change the rifling marks on the bullet. The markings left by the rifling on the bullet would be no different than if fired unsuppressed.

4. DustyJacket

DustyJacket
    Expand Collapse
    Directiv 10-289

Nope.
    Now in the 1960s and earlier there were some with rubber or felt wipes that touched the bullet, but not enough to change the rifling.

The original reason was to stop poachers.

5. rjrivero

rjrivero
    Expand Collapse

Thanks. It is. The fact that it uses GLOCK mags even more so!
    If you're using a modern suppressor and you're bullets are touching your baffles, you ruined your suppressor!

There is no good reason to "outlaw" suppressors. I'm not sure how prevalent poaching is, but I can't see that poaching on the top 10 crimes in America. They pass a LOT of laws under the guise of preserving "Sporting Uses" in America.

#25 rjrivero, Nov 20, 2010
  6. rockabillyrider

rockabillyrider
    Expand Collapse

Are you growing marijuana in the back yard????

7. DustyJacket

DustyJacket
    Expand Collapse
    Directiv 10-289

red raspberries

My FIL's yard in TN

8. jtull7

jtull7
    Expand Collapse
    Pistolero
    CLM

It is only my opinion, but, if one has a silencer or wants a silencer:

1. You are the people who 99% of the ordinary American public thinks is a dangerous gun nut;

2. Normal gun owners are asking themselves, what conceivable reason would a normal gun-owning person need a silencer?

3. You are probably a "wanna-be" who wears tactical sunglasses and has a bayonet on your AR.

I'm sorry, but give me a break. No flame. If it's legal, and it floats your boat, no matter what I happen to think of your boat, it's your right to be as weird as you want to be. It's America.

9. Flatline

Flatline
    Expand Collapse

Here in WA we have some fun laws about suppressors: we can own, mount, and have ammo in a gun with a suppressor, but it's illegal to shoot. To do all of this of course we have to pay the tax to the ATF.

I have the Magpul pistol DVDs and they talked about how they liked to use suppressors in their home so that they could still hear after shooting. They went into that by saying further it'll help them know the location of their loved ones. Sounds like reasoning to CYA.

10. DustyJacket

DustyJacket
    Expand Collapse
    Directiv 10-289

wrong.

11. RWBlue

RWBlue
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. CISSP, CISA
    CLM

Wipes are coming back.
    At least one manufacturer is using them on a new model.

The idea is that it allows them to make a smaller and lighter suppressor.
    It also allows them to make a 9mm suppressor that will be quiet when used as a 22lr suppressor.

The down side is that the suppressor is only quiet for a few rounds.

#31 RWBlue, Nov 20, 2010
  12. MarkCO

MarkCO
    Expand Collapse
    Millennium Member CLM

Perfectly acceptable topic in the free-fire forum, but not in General Glocking.

13. rjrivero

rjrivero
    Expand Collapse

A perfect example of exactly how successful Media and Pop Culture TV/Movies have successfully Demonized Suppressors.

"Any one who wants one must be on the lunatic fringe."
    "Superior gun owners would NEVER want one, nor NEED one."

Let me ask you ONE question: Do you keep ear protection next to your nightstand gun?

14. Christof60

Christof60
    Expand Collapse

Really? I thought it was a Class III license you needed to mfg or sell full auto?

15. Christof60

Christof60
    Expand Collapse

But I (and I think the other poster) were referring to today when saying "Silencer" was a hollywood term... Of course, everyday Joe's and Josephine's still think Silencer, but weapon-wise people know it's "Suppressor"...

#35 Christof60, Nov 21, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2010
  16. rjrivero

rjrivero
    Expand Collapse

Technically, if you want to manufacture and sell full auto/silencers/SBS/SBR/AOW, you would need to pay a Class III Special Occupational Tax annually, and maintain a Type 7 FFL.

#36 rjrivero, Nov 21, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2010
  17. Christof60

Christof60
    Expand Collapse

LOL.... I better draw my shades and double lock the door...... :rofl: I suppose holding a pillow at the end of a pistol would also get me sent to Guantanamo?
    Seriously, I am sure they COULD nail you if they SAW you do it, or if you had them fixed to a weapon you had. But simply to say you did it just to see if it would work or not would probably not get you in trouble... Besides, statute of limitations expired years ago, even if they could PROVE it actually was done.

I'm just not that fearful or paranoid about the Govt..

18. Christof60

Christof60
    Expand Collapse

Really? How does it change it? I have never recovered a slug fired from a suppressed weapon, but I cant see how it could severely change the rifling grooves.. Inquiring minds would like to know!

19. Adam5

Adam5
    Expand Collapse

Some of us 'normal shooters' like the ability to shoot without hearing protection on. When I'm coaching my 14 year old daughter on marksmanship it helps to not have to yell over ear plugs.

If I have to discharge a pistol in my house for home defense, I would rather not risk permanent damage to hy hearing, or that of my wise and daughter, or my dogs.

IMHO, there should be a law mandating the use of supressors for hunting. That way it's more polite to non hunters in the area and to other hunters whi may be stalking prey that gets spooked by your shot.

20. DustyJacket

DustyJacket
    Expand Collapse
    Directiv 10-289

There are some places in France where you can be cited for NOT using a silencer.

In NZ you can buy them at the hardware store.

In many countries they are not regulated nor controlled in any way. Those countries have figure out that the only way a suppressor can hurt you is for someone to hit you over the head with it. And even then all you'll get is a bump.