close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Silencers on Revolvers

Discussion in 'Free Fire Zone' started by janice6, Oct 12, 2013.

1. Joshhtn

Joshhtn The eBay Guy Silver Member

Mar 31, 2009
    Middle Tennessee
    :supergrin:

2. caraker0341

caraker0341

Feb 26, 2012
    New Mexico
    From what I understand, getting a silencer to work on a revolver usually requires modifying the manual safety on the slide of the cylinder gap where the bolt goes into battery with the forcing cone. ;)

3. KennyFSU

KennyFSU What to wear...

Mar 14, 2011
    Florida
  4. Lockback

Lockback Polymerlicious!

Nov 23, 2009
    Ohio
    :rofl:

Nicely played, sir. :supergrin:

5. MrMurphy

MrMurphy ********* Moderator Moderator Millennium Member Lifetime Member

Jan 16, 2001
    Buried in the X-files

You're correct. The Redhawk or Super Redhawk conversion, set up as a short range sniping rifle (it had around a 10" barrel, foregrip and a bipod with a stock), suppressed, showed up in a few gun magazines in the late 80s/early 90s, and was also used as a prop in The X-Files in one episode.

6. caraker0341

caraker0341

Feb 26, 2012
    New Mexico
    I'd make fun of a dodobird if it was brought up, too. Just because it existed does not mean it is viable.

See the ACA.

7. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Oct 23, 2000
    California & New Mexico, US
    Why isn't it viable? It may not be popular because the gun smithing isn't cheap, but it's viable if you have the moolah.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

8. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Oct 23, 2000
    California & New Mexico, US
    There was even a GP100 conversion as well. Essentially any wheelguns can be converted to seal up the cylinder gap.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

9. Tiro Fijo

Tiro Fijo

May 31, 2011

So how's the cylinder going to turn on a non-Nagant style revolver with zero cyinder gap? Answer: it can't.

10. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Jan 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    I usually think of it as the more common and widley understood term for what mall ninjas insist on calling a suppressor, when they are trying to sound like operators.

Correcting people on "silencer" vs. "suppressor" ranks right below correcting people on "magazine" vs. "clip" in the list of annoying habits that identify mall ninjas and gun-geeks down at the gun shop.

11. johnson8861

johnson8861 Daddo Chomper

It's called proper terminolgy. I prefer correct terminolgy so things are not easily mistaken. "Look out, private there is an M16 here." Private trips over a M16 mine looking for a M16 rifle.

12. Fred Hansen

Fred Hansen Liberal Bane

May 19, 2005
    Just be sure to get a revolver that has the thing that goes up.

13. Lots of fail in this thread, when they use a silencer on a revolver in the movies don't you guys even notice the thumbs forward position that covers the cylinder gap and keeps it quiet?

14. robertrwalsh

robertrwalsh

Oct 19, 2008
    There are three effective way to suppress (silence) revolvers. As noted above, revolvers that seal the B/C gap can be silenced. The most common is the Nagant but there were others, including the Peiper. #2 is to build a silencer around the whole gun. This has only been done once that I know of, but it has been done. #3 is silence the ammunition. This is done by was is basically a condom loaded into the round. This was, as far as I know, first done by the US Army during the Vietnam war in the .44 QSP (quiet special purpose) revolver used by the tunnel rats. Also in Russian the UDAT revolver, which fires a 32 gauge shotgun cartridge, is available with commercially produced silenced ammunition. Just not available in this country, at least not over the counter.

15. RenegadeGlocker

RenegadeGlocker

Jul 8, 2001
    Texas
    Tunnel Rats carried Silenced Revolvers in VietNam.

Knights also made a Suppressed Revolver.

Google for pix.

16. janice6

janice6 Silver Member

Apr 4, 2006
    minnesota
  17. tenforme

tenforme

Feb 14, 2013
    CA
    The old Webley revolvers pulled the cylinder rearwards during indexing and then pushed it forward to seal against the forcing cone.

18. Hoser

Hoser Ninja

May 22, 2002
    My 686 is pretty quiet with an AAC Evo9 can on. Just as quiet as any semi auto I have.

Neither are Hollywood quiet. My 22 can on an air rifle is hollywood quiet, but thats it.

19. Diesel McBadass

Diesel McBadass Tactically Epic

Apr 15, 2011
    Dover NH
    Pic?

Sent from my SCH-R830 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

20. perado

perado Sunburnt baldy

May 28, 2008
    Tucson, in the Arid Zone
    If calling it a silencer or a suppressor is bad, can I call it a quietner?