Silencers on Revolvers

Discussion in 'Free Fire Zone' started by janice6, Oct 12, 2013.

1. janice6

Platinum Member

I was watching "The Untouchables" movie last night and I noticed a BG putting a silencer on a revolver. Yes I know it's just a movie.

However, I was curious about just how effective a silencer is on a revolver, when gasses escape via the forcing cone and the cylinder gap prior to the silencer?

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads Forum Date
    UPS revises policy on shipping silencers and suppressors The Okie Corral Jun 6, 2015
    Learning the science behind silencers on the range with SilencerCo Free Fire Zone Dec 2, 2014
    silencers General Firearms Forum Sep 29, 2014
    Silencers on lever actions - General Firearms Forum Aug 10, 2014
    Sun Sentinel article on 'silencers' may be allowed for hunting The Okie Corral Aug 7, 2014

3. Lockback

Lockback Polymerlicious!

It's not effective, for the reason you mention.
    It's a movie invention, for dramatic purposes.

4. janice6

Platinum Member

Thanks. I suspected as much but I'm not an expert and my state doesn't trust me with them.

5. Lotiki

Lotiki All that is man

The nagant model 1895 revolver has a cylinder that seals against the barrel when the hammer is cocked. It is the only revolver I know of that can be effectively silenced

6. janice6

Platinum Member

Fascinating. Thanks for the information.

7. Silenced nagant video.

[ame]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vvF4yurWSc0[/ame]

8. What's a silencer? :p

9. It's like a suppressor but only used in the movies. :supergrin:

10. Joshhtn

Joshhtn The eBay Guy
    Silver Member

Actually, Hiram Maxim, the man who invented the silencer/suppressor, originally called them "silencers" (The Maxim Silencer)...

#9 Joshhtn, Oct 12, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2013
  11. There's the 'actually' guy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. Joshhtn

Joshhtn The eBay Guy
    Silver Member

:wavey:

Just a fan of facts and history... :supergrin:

13. Saw a suppressor used on a revolver on T.J. Hooker. Fell of the sofa laughing... Dude used it in a grocery store and no one heard a thing.:rofl:

14. Berto

Berto woo woo

They made a suppressor for the Webley or Enfield revolver too, it was a contraption that captured gasses from the cylinder gap as well.

15. They do show it a lot on old tv shows too like the old Hawaii Five O shows..revolver with a silencer.

16. They have to work though man...Davis used one on Magnum Force on his Colt Python. LOL!

17. I think Webley made a pistol which did the same thing. I wonder if it copied the nagant?

18. Didn't I also see one in "Get Smart"?

19. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Just because you people didn't know about revolvers and silencers, it doesn't mean that the unit didn't exist.

Advantage of the silenced revolver: no ejected brass. Sure, you can modify the M1911's thumb safety to lock the slide, but then you get one round then you will have to manually eject and chamber the next round. With the silenced wheelgun, you have five, six, seven or eight rounds ready to go. More if you go with a .22LR wheelgun.

Why would you care about non-ejection, one might ask? When leaving brass behind is a big nono, that's why.

Besides the Nagant, the Ruger GP100 had been modified in the 1980s to be silence-able. It was either Knight or Robar that did it. Knight for sure did a Redhawk conversion.

So, before you people start mocking about revolvers and silencers, do some googling.

20. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Silly machine gun/firearm inventor. If he were to really know his guns & accessories, he would have called it a sound suppressor like all the cool commandos.

21. cowboywannabe

cowboywannabe you savvy?

in the Manchurian candidate (no, not Obama, the first one) the silenced revolver worked pretty good....