close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Silencers on Revolvers

Discussion in 'Free Fire Zone' started by janice6, Oct 12, 2013.

1. janice6

janice6 Silver Member

Apr 4, 2006
    minnesota
    I was watching "The Untouchables" movie last night and I noticed a BG putting a silencer on a revolver. Yes I know it's just a movie.

However, I was curious about just how effective a silencer is on a revolver, when gasses escape via the forcing cone and the cylinder gap prior to the silencer?

2. Lockback

Lockback Polymerlicious!

Nov 23, 2009
    Ohio
    It's not effective, for the reason you mention.
    It's a movie invention, for dramatic purposes.

3. janice6

janice6 Silver Member

Apr 4, 2006
    minnesota

Thanks. I suspected as much but I'm not an expert and my state doesn't trust me with them.

4. Lotiki

Lotiki All that is man

Feb 13, 2007
    Aurora, Co
    The nagant model 1895 revolver has a cylinder that seals against the barrel when the hammer is cocked. It is the only revolver I know of that can be effectively silenced

5. janice6

janice6 Silver Member

Apr 4, 2006
    minnesota

Fascinating. Thanks for the information.

6. nursetim

nursetim

Mar 1, 2006
    liberalville N. M.
    Silenced nagant video.

[ame]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vvF4yurWSc0[/ame]

7. Batesmotel

Batesmotel

Apr 5, 2007
    Utah
    It's like a suppressor but only used in the movies. :supergrin:

8. Joshhtn

Joshhtn The eBay Guy Silver Member

Mar 31, 2009
    Middle Tennessee
    Actually, Hiram Maxim, the man who invented the silencer/suppressor, originally called them "silencers" (The Maxim Silencer)...

Last edited: Oct 12, 2013
  9. r3dot

r3dot

Sep 6, 2007
    Izzerwat TX
    There's the 'actually' guy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Joshhtn

Joshhtn The eBay Guy Silver Member

Mar 31, 2009
    Middle Tennessee
    :wavey:

Just a fan of facts and history... :supergrin:

11. jockomikey

jockomikey

Nov 30, 2008
    Saw a suppressor used on a revolver on T.J. Hooker. Fell of the sofa laughing... Dude used it in a grocery store and no one heard a thing.:rofl:

12. Berto

Berto woo woo

Sep 15, 2003
    WA
    They made a suppressor for the Webley or Enfield revolver too, it was a contraption that captured gasses from the cylinder gap as well.

13. They do show it a lot on old tv shows too like the old Hawaii Five O shows..revolver with a silencer.

14. pizza

pizza

Feb 1, 2008
    They have to work though man...Davis used one on Magnum Force on his Colt Python. LOL!

15. tenforme

tenforme

Feb 14, 2013
    CA
    I think Webley made a pistol which did the same thing. I wonder if it copied the nagant?

16. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Oct 23, 2000
    California & New Mexico, US
    Just because you people didn't know about revolvers and silencers, it doesn't mean that the unit didn't exist.

Advantage of the silenced revolver: no ejected brass. Sure, you can modify the M1911's thumb safety to lock the slide, but then you get one round then you will have to manually eject and chamber the next round. With the silenced wheelgun, you have five, six, seven or eight rounds ready to go. More if you go with a .22LR wheelgun.

Why would you care about non-ejection, one might ask? When leaving brass behind is a big nono, that's why.

Besides the Nagant, the Ruger GP100 had been modified in the 1980s to be silence-able. It was either Knight or Robar that did it. Knight for sure did a Redhawk conversion.

So, before you people start mocking about revolvers and silencers, do some googling.

17. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Oct 23, 2000
    California & New Mexico, US
    Silly machine gun/firearm inventor. If he were to really know his guns & accessories, he would have called it a sound suppressor like all the cool commandos.

18. cowboywannabe

cowboywannabe you savvy?

Jan 26, 2001
    in the Manchurian candidate (no, not Obama, the first one) the silenced revolver worked pretty good....